Sound card output dilemma!

I liked using the external speakers to supplement the speakers on an old 720p tv using the dsub/audio in ports on the back, it gave the tv a little bass and overall better sound but didn't make it too loud that would wake anyone up late at night. I got a new monitor for Christmas with even better speakers to replace the TV and would like to do the same setup but avoid using dsub again. The setup with the TV was external speakers into the sound card and the audio out from the speakers into the audio in of the TV, there is zero delay.

I have went down the "stereo mix" route but that produces a half-second delay on one so it comes out as an echo. I can use the external speakers by connecting them to the headphone port on the monitor but that turns off the speakers on the monitor. Without using "stereo mix", I either have sound coming over HDMI on the Monitor playback device or my external speakers using the default "Speakers" playback device. 

Any ideas? Because I have a feeling that "stereo mix" is the only option and with the echo, its useless.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:11 PM, statm1 said:

I liked using the external speakers to supplement the speakers on an old 720p tv using the dsub/audio in ports on the back, it gave the tv a little bass and overall better sound but didn't make it too loud that would wake anyone up late at night. I got a new monitor for Christmas with even better speakers to replace the TV and would like to do the same setup but avoid using dsub again. The setup with the TV was external speakers into the sound card and the audio out from the speakers into the audio in of the TV, there is zero delay.

I have went down the "stereo mix" route but that produces a half-second delay on one so it comes out as an echo. I can use the external speakers by connecting them to the headphone port on the monitor but that turns off the speakers on the monitor. Without using "stereo mix", I either have sound coming over HDMI on the Monitor playback device or my external speakers using the default "Speakers" playback device. 

Any ideas? Because I have a feeling that "stereo mix" is the only option and with the echo, its useless.

You want to feed the same sound to the HDMI output and also the sound card on the mobo.

Basically, two playback devices at the same time.

Remind me to look into this if I forget, but there is a mixer component for Windows called "Jack Audio" or something like that which should do the trick.

I want to do something similar by sending audio from 6 diferent computers to a single set of speakers but also have the option to play locally at the same time and other combinations.

Windows has traditionally been weak in this area, although Windows has a very active marketplace for professional audio peripherals and some expensive card or box will also do everything we want!

a simple option would be to use a line out/headphone jack on your mobo .Plug in a headphone splitter jack (3.5mm  jack splitter) then use one output to the computer speakers and the other to the tv (using 3.5mm jack to av lead). Voila both fed the same sound without any lag :) 

That would be simple Daniel but that would not work in this case. In order to use the 'audio in' on my monitor and also still have output to the external speakers is to use a dsub cable and then plugin a 3.5mm into the corresponding 'audio in' port. That port will not work unless you are willing to use a Dsub cable.

This has to be a software based fix.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:49 PM, statm1 said:

That would be simple Daniel but that would not work in this case. In order to use the 'audio in' on my monitor and also still have output to the external speakers is to use a dsub cable and then plugin a 3.5mm into the corresponding 'audio in' port. That port will not work unless you are willing to use a Dsub cable.

This has to be a software based fix.

Yes, I think software is the right approach in theory, but I personally have not had the time to look into it yet.

Here is the Jack stuff I mentioned previously:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit

http://jackaudio.org

https://github.com/jackaudio

And alternatives:

https://alternativeto.net/software/jack-audio-connection-kit/