Tech install of Windows 10?

Question

A long time ago when I used to build computers more often, I had a "tech install" of Windows 7 that I could pop in to test if the system booted or not, and to copy over shortening the amount of install time per unit.
I've lost that image due to an external drive dying on me, so I'd like to recreate it using Windows 10.

I can't remember the process to make a new drive, so I'm hoping someone has a guide I could use. After seeing the pathetic nature of computers my family was using over the holidays, I've decided to build them all mini pcs and really don't want to have to install Windows 10 7 times + updates. I'd rather just copy a factory image that I could make.

4 answers to this question

The USB media tool is pretty quick and updates are cumulative so you typically just get the latest one. I can't really say I'd personally waste my time doing this unless you had a ton of customization and software that needed to be installed via an image.

• Like 3

If you take a windows 10 install which is current and slap it into a new computer it does adapt to that computer really easily. Yesterday I wanted to see how well an old Sony I recently got vio would run windows 10. So I slapped in an ssd which I new had a clean install of windows 10 on it, and it booted installed all the drivers. Then I just entered the laptops windows 7 product key and BAM! activated. That install also had chrome installed on it and worked great. 

I also cloned my bootcamp install of Windows 10  on my 2011 iMac, that had all my applications on it. Put it on an HP all in 1 computer upstairs and BAM! Booted, installed the driver and I activated it. Didn't have to reinstall anything. Had to deactivate my install of office 365  and reactivate it on this computer but other than that everything worked.

All that being said, a clean install of windows 10 as well as the updates doesn't take very long at all