• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Nvidia gtx 1060 problem

Recommended Posts

Norrient    1

I set my computer on sleep mode for a couple hours, but when i booted it up again, the gpu decided to stop working, it didnt give me any signal on my monitor. I looked and it seems the fans start for one second, then stop. What could've caused this sudden behavior, it was working fine before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,696

What card are you using? Manufacturer? 3Gb or 6Gb? (Yes, I see 1060)

 

What OS are you running? Win 10?

 

Could be a driver or hardware defect. Did restarting the computer help get your gpu back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,697

I'm wondering if it died in its sleep (software wise). Try holding the power button down on the computer until it shuts off. Then try turning it back on. Do you get a display now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Norrient    1
12 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

What card are you using? Manufacturer? 3Gb or 6Gb? (Yes, I see 1060)

 

What OS are you running? Win 10?

 

Could be a driver or hardware defect. Did restarting the computer help get your gpu back?

Nvidia gtx 1060, manufacturer is nvidia,6gb, win8. Restarting the computer makes the gpu start for one second then it stops

 

11 hours ago, warwagon said:

I'm wondering if it died in its sleep (software wise). Try holding the power button down on the computer until it shuts off. Then try turning it back on. Do you get a display now?

No, the gpu fans start then stop imediately after

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,697
11 minutes ago, Norrient said:

Nvidia gtx 1060, manufacturer is nvidia,6gb, win8. Restarting the computer makes the gpu start for one second then it stops

 

No, the gpu fans start then stop imediately after

If you turn the computer on and do not get a display on the screen and your hard drive activity lights don't indicate windows is booting, then its not a windows issue, it's a hardware issue. Most likely the graphics card but maybe a power supply or other component.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CrossCheck    317
13 hours ago, Norrient said:

I set my computer on sleep mode for a couple hours, but when i booted it up again, the gpu decided to stop working, it didnt give me any signal on my monitor. I looked and it seems the fans start for one second, then stop. What could've caused this sudden behavior, it was working fine before.

Are you running an Intel CPU? .If you take out the video card, does it boot with the internal GPU embedded in your cpu? Thats one way to check to see if it is a faulty card. If it is the card, check your warranty to see if you can RMA it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,696
19 minutes ago, Norrient said:

Nvidia gtx 1060, manufacturer is nvidia,6gb, win8. Restarting the computer makes the gpu start for one second then it stops

 

By manufacturer, I meant ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

 

21 minutes ago, Norrient said:

No, the gpu fans start then stop imediately after

You have onboard graphics? I would take out that GFX card, and run the onboard graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    11,390
13 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

By manufacturer, I meant ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

 

You have onboard graphics? I would take out that GFX card, and run the onboard graphics.

Exactly, if onboard graphics exists and is enabled (or is set to auto, or what not) via UEFI/BIOS then that can cause a whole bunch of other issues, including the issue you are reporting. Also worth trying (if possible) move the card to a different slot on the motherboard. What happens on a cold boot (i.e. turning off the system via shutdown, or simply turning off the PSU)? One other thing that you might consider trying is turn off the PSU, and then press the power button on the case 3 or 4 times, this will cause all the capacitors to fully discharge and the RAM as well, and is an ideal troubleshooting method.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xMorpheousx416    30

Without knowing exactly what those responding are working with - let's see if we can get more info from you.

 

Manufacturer - Mindovermaster wanted to know, is the card from Gigabyte, MSI, Asus?  Yes.. the 1060 is the core chip from Nvidia.

 

What motherboard model and PSU (power supply unit) are you using?  Does the mobo have more than one PCI-E 16x slot?  

 

If the board has more than one, try that slot.  If it does boot, don't panic if Windows doesn't load up the primary Nvidia drivers until the OS recognizes what port the card is in.


If it still doesn't boot... try a different rail from the power supply... assuming it has more than a single 8 pin plug.  Most of them do these days, as motherboards typically have an 8 pin port for the CPU.  Try switching them.  

 

It may not be a quick path to finding the issue.  At least three major factors are at play here.  Motherboard, PSU, video card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,696
30 minutes ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

Manufacturer - Mindovermaster wanted to know, is the card from Gigabyte, MSI, Asus?  Yes.. the 1060 is the core chip from Nvidia.

 

What I said, but yeah. We need more info. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xMorpheousx416    30

DOH! 

 

I must have rolled right on past that reading things too fast.

 

Bottom line I guess is, if people post vague, they get vague answers.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Norrient    1
On 12/30/2018 at 12:25 PM, Mindovermaster said:

By manufacturer, I meant ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

 

You have onboard graphics? I would take out that GFX card, and run the onboard graphics.

Manufacturer is galax. Sorry man im dumb with computers

When i took out the card and boot up the pc, i got no signal, soi dont think i have onboard graphics

On 12/31/2018 at 2:19 AM, jnelsoninjax said:

Exactly, if onboard graphics exists and is enabled (or is set to auto, or what not) via UEFI/BIOS then that can cause a whole bunch of other issues, including the issue you are reporting. Also worth trying (if possible) move the card to a different slot on the motherboard. What happens on a cold boot (i.e. turning off the system via shutdown, or simply turning off the PSU)? One other thing that you might consider trying is turn off the PSU, and then press the power button on the case 3 or 4 times, this will cause all the capacitors to fully discharge and the RAM as well, and is an ideal troubleshooting method.

I cant move it to any other slot. I tried the cold boot, turned off the pc and psu, but same problem. Do you mean pressing the power button 3-4 times with the system turned off? I tried that and didnt work

 

On 12/31/2018 at 3:28 AM, xMorpheousx416 said:

Without knowing exactly what those responding are working with - let's see if we can get more info from you.

 

Manufacturer - Mindovermaster wanted to know, is the card from Gigabyte, MSI, Asus?  Yes.. the 1060 is the core chip from Nvidia.

 

What motherboard model and PSU (power supply unit) are you using?  Does the mobo have more than one PCI-E 16x slot?  

 

If the board has more than one, try that slot.  If it does boot, don't panic if Windows doesn't load up the primary Nvidia drivers until the OS recognizes what port the card is in.


If it still doesn't boot... try a different rail from the power supply... assuming it has more than a single 8 pin plug.  Most of them do these days, as motherboards typically have an 8 pin port for the CPU.  Try switching them.  

 

It may not be a quick path to finding the issue.  At least three major factors are at play here.  Motherboard, PSU, video card.

Gpu - galax

Mobo - crosshair v formula z

Psu - corsair GS700

Tried another plug, same problem

 

Sorry for taking so long,i was away for a couple weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,696
1 hour ago, Norrient said:

Manufacturer is galax. Sorry man im dumb with computers

When i took out the card and boot up the pc, i got no signal, soi dont think i have onboard graphics

Uh, you need to plug in your monitor to your onboard video..

 

But after I looked up your board, you have no onboard video...

 

You have another GFX card to rule this out, perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Norrient    1
2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Uh, you need to plug in your monitor to your onboard video..

 

But after I looked up your board, you have no onboard video...

 

You have another GFX card to rule this out, perhaps?

No, but in any case hopefully i can use the warranty to get a new card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,696
2 minutes ago, Norrient said:

No, but in any case hopefully i can use the warranty to get a new card

That will work. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Norrient    1

Went to a technician and the card worked in his test system, so the problem is somewhere else in my machine. Id send the computer to him now but ive no time. ######## sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xMorpheousx416    30

Ok.. well, you've eliminated one issue.

 

On to the main board or PSU.  

 

Two ways left I would try if you can:

That board carries 4 PCI-E 16x slots.  (for testing purposes, the last slot is x16 (x4 mode) which means nothing for troubleshooting)

Try booting the system with the card in either slot 2, 3 or 4.


Reset the CMOS.  Follow the motherboard's instructions on resetting the board's BIOS.  That board has a couple ways of doing it... see link below.

 

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1000851

 

If neither booting in any adjacent slots, or clearing the CMOS doesn't work.. it might be time to replace the motherboard.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Norrient    1
On 1/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, xMorpheousx416 said:

Ok.. well, you've eliminated one issue.

 

On to the main board or PSU.  

 

Two ways left I would try if you can:

That board carries 4 PCI-E 16x slots.  (for testing purposes, the last slot is x16 (x4 mode) which means nothing for troubleshooting)

Try booting the system with the card in either slot 2, 3 or 4.


Reset the CMOS.  Follow the motherboard's instructions on resetting the board's BIOS.  That board has a couple ways of doing it... see link below.

 


https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1000851

 

If neither booting in any adjacent slots, or clearing the CMOS doesn't work.. it might be time to replace the motherboard.

Good luck.

I cant access the link you posted

No nevermind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.