Ads Showing Up

I noticed this in maybe the last month. My phone posted over there...

<-------

On my Android phone, I keep seeing ads. Now, these are not ads from games or YT. These are suggestions from Google Play.

"Do you want to install XXX app? <Install> or <close>"

I remember getting said adsa from games or YT, but never things from the Play Store...

There some function to turn this off? 

I run Android 6.0.1.

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Nope. Maybe your phone is infected. 

I kind of wonder the same thing, but then again I have Adguard installed on my phone (mainly due to a limited data plan) but before I installed it I do not recall seeing any ads. Are these pop-ups, or are they just inline with the rest of the text?

Where do you see these ads? I thought at first you were referring to Neowin, but if you are seeing these in the apps as well as the web, I would recommend grabbing Malwarebytes from the play store and let it do a scan, or consider getting Adguard for Android (note that you will not find this in the play store due to Google's outright ban on ad blocking, etc.) But if you download it from the website I linked, it is completely safe.

OK, I downloaded AdGuard. That stopped the ads. I tried doing the things that normally would trigger it. AdBlock stopped them.

Guess it was something in Play Store or Android that was causing this...

Spoke too soon. To clarify, I keep seeing ads from the play store. I see ads for Candy Crush, or some other apps.

I did a malware test, found nothing.

I'm not sure but i believe this link from google is what you need 

https://support.google.com/admob/answer/6033677?hl=en

You can prevent app install ads (also known as "click-to-download" ads) and app re-engagement ads for specific apps from showing up by using blocking controls. Note that blocking app install ads is only available for the Google Play and App store, and this filter doesn't apply to other types of ads, such as click-to-web ads or click-to-app ads via third-party tracking URLs.

Hello,

What happens if you disable notifications from the Google Play app?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

What happens if you disable notifications from the Google Play app?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Still does it... :( 

sounds like you do have a malicious app installed somewhere in the background.

unfortunately the scanners don't pick up most malicious packages; trust me from my own personal experience, I've had countless times were I was trying to install the patch Pandora apk (i know bad me haha) and installed a malicious package by mistake causing ads all over the place but no scanner would find the bad package and I would have to factory reset the device to get rid of it

2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

sounds like you do have a malicious app installed somewhere in the background.

unfortunately the scanners don't pick up most malicious packages; trust me from my own personal experience, I've had countless times were I was trying to install the patch Pandora apk (i know bad me haha) and installed a malicious package by mistake causing ads all over the place but no scanner would find the bad package and I would have to factory reset the device to get rid of it

Yeah, if I couldn't get it resolved by you guys or a good google lead, I then would do a factory reset...

OK, I just reset my phone to factory settings last night. After all the updates (saves all my used apps on my gmail), I went around, customizing everything to my liking. I see these ads poping up again...

So it has to do with something with Android or my ASUS phone...

I doubt it is my Mint carrier.

I read around the web, and this happened before... There's a never ending loop. There's NO answer...

Would a different Android build help here? I think ASUS phablet uses special ASUS drivers to work.

Should I maybe look at getting a new phone, perhaps?

39 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

This too.... Anyone?

Screenshot_20190106-121450.jpg

I still think you are infected. You may have reset your phone, but how long did you wait and test before restoring your account and apps?

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I still think you are infected. You may have reset your phone, but how long did you wait and test before restoring your account and apps?

Umm, I did say above, I factory reset this. Everything was wiped. Can a virus really linger after a factory reset?

And I didn't really have a choice... It asked me my Gmail and if I want to install my old apps. I just went ahead and did it. My gmail isn't compromised, and all my apps, I KNOW are safe. 

I see this everywhere, exact how to fix it. And 1, it doesn't work anymore, and 2, these posts I found are from 2015...

Malwarebytes found nothing, AdBlock did nothing. I'm alone on an island here. Does ANYONE know about this?

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Umm, I did say above, I factory reset this. Everything was wiped. Can a virus really linger after a factory reset?

And I didn't really have a choice... It asked me my Gmail and if I want to install my old apps. I just went ahead and did it. My gmail isn't compromised, and all my apps, I KNOW are safe. 

I see this everywhere, exact how to fix it. And 1, it doesn't work anymore, and 2, these posts I found are from 2015...

Malwarebytes found nothing, AdBlock did nothing. I'm alone on an island here. Does ANYONE know about this?

Go ahead and re-read what I said. 

See if you can find a recovery image from the manufacturers site and do a wipe using that.

Dont login to google etc and install apps and see if the ads return, if they do its baked in, if they dont factory reset and then restore things bit by bit.

8 minutes ago, 1337ish said:

See if you can find a recovery image from the manufacturers site and do a wipe using that.

Dont login to google etc and install apps and see if the ads return, if they do its baked in, if they dont factory reset and then restore things bit by bit.

Only recovery image I can find are for later versions... AKA they might not work.

17 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Only recovery image I can find are for later versions... AKA they might not work.

https://www.asus.com/in/supportonly/ASUS ZenFone 2 Laser (ZE551KL)/HelpDesk_Download/

Version WW-21.40.1220.2056

ASUS ZenFone 2 Laser=ZE551KL (ASUS_Z00T) software Image: WW-21.40.1220.2056 for WW SKU only*(andriod M)

1.65 GBytes

and before you state that isn't your model, the ASUS_Z00TD = ZE551KL = Z00T