Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite?

I installed Solus Linux on New Years Eve.  Been pretty happy with it so far.  Boot times are simply faster, and overall liking the overall feel of it.    I am coming from 3 or so years in the Ubuntu variants so it takes getting used to the package manager (instead of apt-get or apt install, you have eopkg)  From what I have observed, it is much faster for installs than .deb based packages.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:57 AM, Nick H. said:

With the new year upon us, it's time to refresh the poll.

Let us know what you prefer to use.

Surprised to not see Manjaro on the list considering how popular it is. 

On 1/7/2019 at 12:26 AM, adrynalyne said:

Surprised to not see Manjaro on the list considering how popular it is. 

Much like there is Ubuntu (any flavour), wouldn't Manjaro be Arch?

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Much like there is Ubuntu (any flavour), wouldn't Manjaro be Arch?

On the same token, why mention Mint or elementary, which is built off of Ubuntu?

Same idea, different base. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

On the same token, why mention Mint or elementary, which is built off of Ubuntu?

Same idea, different base. 

Fair enough. Added.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

Fair enough. Added.

Sweet!

I use manjaro though currently I am using elementary for a router project I am working on.

11 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I forgot to mention what I'm using at the moment. I'm on Linux Mint using Cinnamon, and I'm really happy with it.

Was going to ask you since you started poll 😁

Ubuntu gets my vote.

I have various Ubuntu Server LTS VM's running different things. In addition I have a couple of Nettop PC's running Ubuntu which just boot in to Kodi.

I like that Ubuntu generally just works, rather than me feeling like i'm working for Ubuntu. If i ever encounter an issue, usually someone else has before me so resolving the issue is not a problem.

I'm running stock Ubuntu but I'm not happy with it. Too many hardware issues like My triple display setup going wrong, external sound card not being detected or entire USB hubs. Not impressed. Is there another Distro I should try before going back to windows or will they all be basically the same? Oh and user switching is not a slick experience at all. :(

1 hour ago, MarkusDarkus said:

I'm running stock Ubuntu but I'm not happy with it. Too many hardware issues like My triple display setup going wrong, external sound card not being detected or entire USB hubs. Not impressed. Is there another Distro I should try before going back to windows or will they all be basically the same? Oh and user switching is not a slick experience at all. :(

How new is your hardware? Something like Manjaro will be much more bleeding edge in comparison to Ubuntu. 

Still running Mint (Cinnamon) here, dual-booting with Windows 10. Same old, same old. :rofl:

University computers are all on Windows 7, Debian and RHEL.

I'm on Mint now, but might move to straight Debian or a Arch-like distro. Looking at Archlabs right now...

16 hours ago, Nick H. said:

But you knew this after our last conversation. :laugh:

True, but if anyone else wanted to know that and didn't know what you had, it was nice that you posted what you were running.

If you wanted to know that and didn't know what you know, then how would he know what you know? You know? :laugh: 

• 4 weeks later...

Ubuntu 18.10 here. I find Ubuntu to be a good balance between "everything works out of the box" and "has the latest and greatest software".

On 1/9/2019 at 8:58 PM, adrynalyne said:

How new is your hardware? Something like Manjaro will be much more bleeding edge in comparison to Ubuntu. 

Isn't that dependent on the kernel version? Does manjaro use more recent versions of the kernel?

12 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Isn't that dependent on the kernel version? Does manjaro use more recent versions of the kernel?

Yep. It uses the most recent versions of just about everything. 

14 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

Well, Manjaro is based of Arch, so you get the bleeding edge of software.