Which Linux to choose

I wanted to install a linux that is supported for the desktop system and I was thinking Red Hat but now that RH and Suse and some others have been bought out etc... I'm in a spin trying to work out which Linux to choose :/ Help.

umm...Suse is the only one that has been bought man...

and why would that affect your decision at all?

Oh ya, and Novell's done nothing but good for Suse so far, so their buyout is a good one, no reason to stay away from it because of that.

Hi,

You may be a bit misinformed on this subject ... Redhat products are still free (just that Redhat is going to be end of life soon, but you can try Fedora, which is basically just Redhat 10 :p). Suse has been bought out, but it's still free. For desktop systems, you may also want to try Mandrake or if you really want to go hardcore, Gentoo or Slackware.

Or, if you want a *really* desktop oriented system, Lindows is being offered for free today - check www.osnews.com for details.

If your completly new to Linux I'd suggest trying Mandrake. It's a very user friendly verion of Linux and it runs will on most systems I've installed it on. Great disto all around.

Mandrake is a good first operating system, lindows really isn't.... I've never installed it on my own system, but one of my friends installed it on his own as a joke (free version)

Anyway, It was really kinda.... lacking... in al areas..... I don't even think you EVER needed to be in the shell, and I'm sure users would be like 'what's a terminal???'

Fedora is nice, its just that CORE 2 is coming out this month or next month, soo, It's about to get a whole lot better, methinks.

I <3 slackware, Gentoo, but Fedora/Red Hat is always nice.

I wanted to install a linux that is supported for the desktop system and I was thinking Red Hat but now that RH and Suse and some others have been bought out etc... I'm in a spin trying to work out which Linux to choose :/ Help.

Anything that's Debian based. Knoppix is a good place to start because once it's installed on the hard disk (it can also be run Live from the CD) it's essentially Debian.

Check out DistroWatch

how will i be able to use msn messenger and ym and ms adapter mn-520 with mandrake?

i'm about to try mandrake 9.2 tonight....i was going for suse but for somehow it says bad media :(

Suse said 'bad media' after you started installing it?

Probably means it checked to see if all the files were the exact to the correct checksum....

Probably a burn error, though it might have been a download error.

Were you jumping up and down excidetely at the thought of getting linux, while burning your disk, thus shaking it and causing write errors? :laugh: :rolleyes:

i hate my wlan card, it's not supported by linux :x

it's the only reason why i'm still using windows xp as main os :rolleyes:

which card do you have? most of them out there are Prism2 based so you can get them working with the Prism2 driver

Been using Fedora since it came out and I like it a lot. I'm gonna move up and try a harder distro. I'm downloading Gentoo right now and going to install it so I can learn some more.