• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Install error

Recommended Posts

Bruinator    27

I am trying to install a copy of win 10 and every time the install begins i get the following error : page fault in non page area...  how do I fix this plz?

 

thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    10,825
11 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I am trying to install a copy of win 10 and every time the install begins i get the following error : page fault in non page area...  how do I fix this plz?

 

thx

Is it a bluescreen of death error message? (BSOD) I have seen that message before, but only on BSOD's, the error is pretty generic but it has to do with memory, here is a guide that might help you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Is it a bluescreen of death error message? (BSOD) I have seen that message before, but only on BSOD's, the error is pretty generic but it has to do with memory, here is a guide that might help you

But how can I do that when it is happening on the install? It happened again with error of memory management on bsod. The memory sticks are only 3.5 yrs old.

Edited by Bruinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DKAngel    287

remove one of the sticks and try again, then swap them out

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400
12 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

But how can I do that when it is happening on the install? It happened again with error of memory management on bsod. The memory sticks are only 3.5 yrs old.

Never judge parts on their age. Parts can fail at any time. So I would recommend you run memtest86+ on that machine and check the ram.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27
1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Never judge parts on their age. Parts can fail at any time. So I would recommend you run memtest86+ on that machine and check the ram.

will it run off of a usb without an operating system on  a flash drive?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400
Just now, Bruinator said:

will it run off of a usb without an operating system on  a flash drive?

 

Yes you should probably be abe to use an application like rufus to put the iso on a usb drive. https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27
26 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yes you should probably be abe to use an application like rufus to put the iso on a usb drive. https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

Could you be kind enough to type up a step by step instructions on how to use memtest 86 plz? I would greatly appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400
15 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Could you be kind enough to type up a step by step instructions on how to use memtest 86 plz? I would greatly appreciate it.

to use memtest just boot the usb flash drive and let memtest do 1 complete pass. If you see any red on the lower section then you have a bad stick of ram or one that needs to be taken out and put back in. If you don't see any red on the lower section then all is good. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeprime    823

As warwagon said, test the RAM using memtest x86. Use their link to download it from another computer and follow their advice. https://www.memtest86.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27

How long should 8gb of ram take to run plz? it is running now.  Thx WW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400
12 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

How long should 8gb of ram take to run plz? it is running now.  Thx WW.

35 mins, maybe more maybe less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
patseguin    1,256

What is the source of the installation? Are you using an official iso from Microsoft? Maybe it's a bad install image, try another USB stick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27
48 minutes ago, warwagon said:

35 mins, maybe more maybe less.

Mine has been running for 1.5 hrs so far. I used usb stick. How many cycles does it go thr as mine is on its 3rd?

 

thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400
Just now, Bruinator said:

Mine has been running for 1.5 hrs so far. I used usb stick. How many cycles does it go thr as mine is on its 3rd?

 

thx

As many as you allow. 3 should be fine. No red on the bottom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27
22 minutes ago, patseguin said:

What is the source of the installation? Are you using an official iso from Microsoft? Maybe it's a bad install image, try another USB stick.

This time I used the MS creation tool.

Just now, warwagon said:

As many as you allow. 3 should be fine. No red on the bottom?

None so far.  Is there a way to kill it after 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400
2 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

This time I used the MS creation tool.

None so far.  Is there a way to kill it after 3?

Just remove the usb flash drive and press escape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Just remove the usb flash drive and press escape.

ok thx. Just in case ms media creation tool doesnt work, I am also d/w off techbench and will try a different usb stick. If it comes down to it, can I just use an image I had for that pc to straighten out this issue if possible?

Edited by Bruinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400

Try installing win10 by plugging your usb installation drive into a USB 2.0 port instead of a blue usb 3.0 port. (if you were doing that before). At what stage does the install bsod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tech Geek Alex    25

We have seen this issue before. The issue was being triggered by the SATA mode configured in the bios.  Somewhere in your bios you should see SATA Mode and have a choice of ACHI or IDE.  Changing it to IDE while the install was being done, let the install complete without a blue screen.  

 

Thats what I would suggest.  

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 11.47.09 AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400
Just now, Tech Geek Alex said:

We have seen this issue before. The issue was being triggered by the SATA mode configured in the bios.  Somewhere in your bios you should see SATA Mode and have a choice of ACHI or IDE.  Changing it to IDE while the install was being done, let the install complete without a blue screen.  

 

Thats what I would suggest.  

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 11.47.09 AM.png

A bios update may also correct it if that's the issue..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27

Install is going now. Thx so much for everyone's help.   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,400
6 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Install is going now. Thx so much for everyone's help.   :)

How did you get it to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    27

It might of been a bad flash drive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.