Install error

Ok, I installed win 10 on desktop. The problem I am having now is once at desktop i click on edge, and nothing happens. I click on it and nothing. When I right click on desktop and select personalize and nothing happens.

I tried rebooting and all of a sudden the pc was trying to repair errors and it it didnt repair it. The next 4 options were CONTINUE, USE A DEVICE, TROUBLESHOOT and TURN OFF PC. I selected troubleshoot. Now my options are SYSTEM RESTORE, GO BACK TO PREVIOUS VERSION, SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY, STARTUP REPAIR, CMD PROMPT AND UEFI SETTINGS. What should I select now plz?

thx

2 hours ago, Bruinator said:

Ok, I installed win 10 on desktop. The problem I am having now is once at desktop i click on edge, and nothing happens. I click on it and nothing. When I right click on desktop and select personalize and nothing happens.

I tried rebooting and all of a sudden the pc was trying to repair errors and it it didnt repair it. The next 4 options were CONTINUE, USE A DEVICE, TROUBLESHOOT and TURN OFF PC. I selected troubleshoot. Now my options are SYSTEM RESTORE, GO BACK TO PREVIOUS VERSION, SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY, STARTUP REPAIR, CMD PROMPT AND UEFI SETTINGS. What should I select now plz?

thx

Get Linux... :laugh: JK...

how did it not repair errors?

I'd really like to see if you can check the smart data of that hard drive. Just not sure on a good way for you to do that (Which is not complicated) if nothing will open in normal windows. Best I can recommend is to download crystal disk on your other machine, put it on a usb drive and try running it from the command prompt in recovery 

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

4 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I'd really like to see if you can check the smart data of that hard drive. Just not sure on a good way for you to do that (Which is not complicated) if nothing will open in normal windows. Best I can recommend is to download crystal disk on your other machine, put it on a usb drive and try running it from the command prompt in recovery 

Can I have an mbr issue? Is there a way to fix it? Also, how would i update the bios plz?

1 minute ago, Bruinator said:

Can I have an mbr issue? Is there a way to fix it? Also, how would i update the bios plz?

You do not have a master boot record issue seeing how windows is booting you to the desktop. Before updating your bios I would love to know what the smart data of your drive says. I'm wondering if you have a current pending sector (bad sector). It's the first thing I check, regarding any issue. Because if you do have a bad sector you'll just be chasing your tail.

24 minutes ago, warwagon said:

how do I get back to recovery option plz?

9 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

how do I get back to recovery option plz?

while in windows hold down the shift key and click restart then keep holding down the shift key untl the screen goes blue and you have options. There you will get the options to troubleshoot.

WW, I have an image of my laptop on an external HD. Is it possible to use that and restore my desktop. If yes, I will copy that image on my laptop in case of issues. Plz let me know.  thx

5 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

WW, I have an image of my laptop on an external HD. Is it possible to use that and restore my desktop. If yes, I will copy that image on my laptop in case of issues. Plz let me know.  thx

While that may work, you already clean installed windows. As I said before, we really need to know if that hard drive is healthy.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

While that may work, you already clean installed windows. As I said before, we really need to know if that hard drive is healthy.

The issue I am having with desktop is i can get to it but I cant do nothing on it, it is like it is frozen. hence, the image question.

1 minute ago, shockz said:

You have a dead or dying drive. Rule out your memory as well by swapping each stick(s) and try to reproduce the error. But yeah. My money is on a drive issue. 

Memtest ruled that out as I did three passes and all was fine.

16 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Memtest ruled that out as I did three passes and all was fine.

Memtest can skip things when running 2 RAM sticks. I think what Shockz is saying, run memtest, each with 1 stick in. That will do a deeper scan.

But like said above, gotta be a drive issue.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

while in windows hold down the shift key and click restart then keep holding down the shift key untl the screen goes blue and you have options. There you will get the options to troubleshoot.

Is there a way to check my SSD without getting to my desktop using this S/W?

5 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Is there a way to check my SSD without getting to my desktop using this S/W?

If you go into troubleshooting and select command prompt. Once booted to the command prompt you can either navigate to your USB drive using the command prompt and then launch crystal disk from there.

If that's confusing you can try typing notepad at the command prompt and pressing enter. Once notepad is open you can select file / open and on the file name box type *.* and press enter. Now you will be able to browse the file system and access the USB drive that way. Once you find the crystal disk exe you can right click it select open. 

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

If you go into troubleshooting and select command prompt. Once booted to the command prompt you can either navigate to your USB drive using the command prompt and then launch crystal disk from there.

If that's confusing you can try typing notepad at the command prompt and pressing enter. Once notepad is open you can select file / open and on the file name box type *.* and press enter. Now you will be able to browse the file system and access the USB drive that way. Once you find the crystal disk exe you can right click it select open. Best I got.

I assume I just need to put the executable on usb for it to work? I will try it tomorrow to see how i make out and i will respond here.

7 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I assume I just need to put the executable on usb for it to work? I will try it tomorrow to see how i make out and i will respond here.

Yep just extract the zip to the usb.

9 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yep just extract the zip to the usb.

Well, now i can only turn it on and when it gets to these 4 options press F1 to run uefi setup, f6  to select instant flash, f11 boot menu and f12 tab to switch screen. it seems to be getting worse each time i do something. is it about 90% ssd issue?

30 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Well, now i can only turn it on and when it gets to these 4 options press F1 to run uefi setup, f6  to select instant flash, f11 boot menu and f12 tab to switch screen. it seems to be getting worse each time i do something. is it about 90% ssd issue?

RUN  Crystal Disk. Don't ask, DO...

can someone tell me the exact commands to run once at command prompt plz... how to see the file? Do I use the

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

RUN  Crystal Disk. Don't ask, DO...

Hi, I havent used these type of commands in over 12 yrs so I need for someone to give me a step by step instructions on how to do this. I did 

1. I did cd\

2. dir and there was not  file listed as crystal disk. I am currently at a prompt

3 hours ago, Bruinator said:

can someone tell me the exact commands to run once at command prompt plz... how to see the file? Do I use the

Hi, I havent used these type of commands in over 12 yrs so I need for someone to give me a step by step instructions on how to do this. I did 

1. I did cd\

2. dir and there was not  file listed as crystal disk. I am currently at a prompt

Scroll up. I gave you instructions a few posts back regarding notepad which will be easier for you than typing in commands.

10 hours ago, warwagon said:

If that's confusing you can try typing notepad at the command prompt and pressing enter. Once notepad is open you can select file / open and on the file name box type *.* and press enter. Now you will be able to browse the file system and access the USB drive that way. Once you find the crystal disk exe you can right click it select open. 

This isnt working or i am doing something wrong. ok this is what i am doing , once notepad is open i am typing *.* inside it then do I file, save as and call it something?

Edited by Bruinator

8 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

This isnt working or i am doing something wrong.

Seems to work fine for me. What is happening? We can't help if we don't know at which point the instructions don't work.

3 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Seems to work fine for me. What is happening? We can't help if we don't know at which point the instructions don't work.

read above plz. Sorry as i am an idiot.