• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Gpu crashed, restarted pc then displays nothing

Zedibird    0

Soo I was playing ac4 bf while suddenly the display crashed like it stucked up and some of the screen turned to random colors mostly pink or violet then I restarted my pc thinking that it would fix it but my pc was running and the monitor displayed at 640x480 so i know it was running but it was displaying a black screen, what could be causing this problem and how to fix it? When I open my pc it sounded like 3 buzzes or beeps then 1 beep into boot

Yogurth    2,213

Symptoms you described usually mean that either GPU itself or its memory are done for and the fix is to buy a new graphic card, unfortunately.

Zedibird    0
56 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Symptoms you described usually mean that either GPU itself or its memory are done for and the fix is to buy a new graphic card, unfortunately.

What caused this problem sir? And its just 2 weeks old

Yogurth    2,213

It could either of these... a faulty card or Graphic Card overheated due to insufficient cooling (perhaps faulty GPU cooler) or Your PSU sent too much juice and burned the card. 

• Like 1

Steven P.    13,436
6 minutes ago, Zedibird said:

What caused this problem sir? And its just 2 weeks old

Can you tell us a bit more about your PC and graphics card? Did you buy something like a Dell (which would be under guarantee, so don't mess with it to avoid voiding the warranty).

Did you update drivers, overclock anything? We need more info to go on 😛  

• Like 1

Zedibird    0
9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Can you tell us a bit more about your PC and graphics card? Did you buy something like a Dell (which would be under guarantee, so don't mess with it to avoid voiding the warranty).

Did you update drivers, overclock anything? We need more info to go on 😛  

Welll I was just playing fortnite then switched to assassins creed 4 then the display crashed, I didnt update the drivers and I did not overclocked it. I have a 500 watts psu, Intel Pentium G2010 and 6gb ram.

Zedibird    0
14 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

It could either of these... a faulty card or Graphic Card overheated due to insufficient cooling (perhaps faulty GPU cooler) or Your PSU sent too much juice and burned the card. 

I left my pc overnight downloading something but I don't know when I woke up it was turned off somebody might have turned it off because the monitor was on and I left it off for a little bit and used it then played so it can't be overheated right?

Well when I turned it on the info on my monitor said that the resolution is 640x480 and I can see the backlight but the display is just black I tried uninstalling the drivers thinking that it was the drivers fault but it didnt work

Zedibird    0
Posted (edited)

It kinda went like this while I was playing (photo not mine)

Z8AZ2.jpg

Jim K    13,089

Seems like information is missing.

Is this a pre-built system (like a Dell or whatever) ... two weeks old?  What are the specs (graphics card especially)?  Assuming you're running Windows 10 ... you aren't able to go above 640x480 resolution (right click desktop > Display Settings)?  Be sure that it has the latest drivers.  Any exclamation marks in Device Manager (type Device Manager in the start menu)?

If updated drivers don't resolve the issue and you do not have any exclamation marks in Device Manager ... I would RMA the system.

Zedibird    0
3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Seems like information is missing.

Is this a pre-built system (like a Dell or whatever) ... two weeks old?  What are the specs (graphics card especially)?  Assuming you're running Windows 10 ... you aren't able to go above 640x480 resolution (right click desktop > Display Settings)?  Be sure that it has the latest drivers.  Any exclamation marks in Device Manager (type Device Manager in the start menu)?

If updated drivers don't resolve the issue and you do not have any exclamation marks in Device Manager ... I would RMA the system.

My pc is 5 years old only the gpu is two weeks old a Gtx 1050 palit 2gb and Im running on windows 7 64 bit, I cant even access anything the display is just black but I know its on

Jim K    13,089
4 minutes ago, Zedibird said:

My pc is 5 years old only the gpu is two weeks old a Gtx 1050 palit 2gb and Im running on windows 7 64 bit, I cant even access anything the display is just black but I know its on

No display on post?  Just a black screen?  Make sure the GPU is seated properly in the PCIe slot.  If still no video on post ... I would RMA the card.

Daniel F.    571

firstly is the 1050 compatible with your motherboard? (your manufacturer should have a list of compatible items)

does it require a 6/8 pin power connector? 

does it draw its power from the motherboard pci express slot?

what is the wattage output of the PSU? is it enough for the card?

is the pci slot compatible e.g pci express gen 1,2,3 

is there sufficient cooling space for the graphics card

Brandon H    2,864

If it's not your pentium that's too old/weak then it could be a faulty GPU

you said above that you have a pentium G2010 which is a 2013 cpu; pentiums aren't the strongest in the first place let alone one that old.

https://ark.intel.com/products/71071/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G2010-3M-Cache-2-80-GHz-

the easiest way to verify it's not the GPU itself would be to put it in another system and try and replicate the issue; if you have another computer or a friends computer to test the GPU in that would be easiest.

If it does turn out to be the GPU then you should be able to RMA it since you state it's only a few weeks old :)

i wouldn't be surprised though if that cpu/mobo are just being too much of a bottleneck for that GPU causing instability; especially with a newer more graphics intensive game like AC4.

• Like 1

Zedibird    0
1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

If it's not your pentium that's too old/weak then it could be a faulty GPU

you said above that you have a pentium G2010 which is a 2013 cpu; pentiums aren't the strongest in the first place let alone one that old.

https://ark.intel.com/products/71071/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G2010-3M-Cache-2-80-GHz-

the easiest way to verify it's not the GPU itself would be to put it in another system and try and replicate the issue; if you have another computer or a friends computer to test the GPU in that would be easiest.

If it does turn out to be the GPU then you should be able to RMA it since you state it's only a few weeks old :)

i wouldn't be surprised though if that cpu/mobo are just being too much of a bottleneck for that GPU causing instability; especially with a newer more graphics intensive game like AC4.

I think I broke the gpu but I can run Gta 5 and ac4 on high settings with playable fps. How can I rma my gpu?