Buy mac solely for security?

Nutshell answer:  Don't do it.

Buying a computer because you assume it's just safer is like buying a different house (for security) just because you think the neighborhood is crime free.  Times change and you still need to be aware of security or you will have a much bigger problem when the times do change - and what you're doing with the computer absolutely matters.

Honestly, stick with the computer that does the most for what you need a computer for and have the best cost/experience factors in mind.  Security is relatively easy and painless.  Bear in mind - and I mean this with all love to Apple - the Apple tax is real, and any money you are willing to spend on shifting ecosystem is an absolute loss, and really, for what gain?  Or you're shifting to a computer that has the least public viruses but also the least amount of productivity software or requires a comparative high experience curve of entry.  That's real cost right there in hours or dollars.

If the biggest problem is popups from AV vendors, then suppress those prompts.  No matter what platform you are on, there will always be bad stuff doing bad things.  Get software, "Protect me quietly!", and enjoy the platform that best suits your needs.

Hello,

If the antimalware (aka antivirus) software is displaying a warning message about a threat found, being blocked, etc., you should not just ignore it.  You should figure out where the threat is coming from, and block it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6 hours ago, mram said:

[...snip...]

If the biggest problem is popups from AV vendors, then suppress those prompts.  No matter what platform you are on, there will always be bad stuff doing bad things.  Get software, "Protect me quietly!", and enjoy the platform that best suits your needs.

15 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

If the antimalware (aka antivirus) software is displaying a warning message about a threat found, being blocked, etc., you should not just ignore it.  You should figure out where the threat is coming from, and block it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I agree with the statement.. but...

Figure out what it is yes, and then decide correct action, majority of AV/antimalware warnings are BS.

Hello,

Properly-written and configured anti-malware software should warn you when a security event occurred, events where operator intervention is required, and perhaps things like reports you generated being ready for viewing.  What sort of "BS" messages are you getting from your software?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

I agree with the statement.. but...

Figure out what it is yes, and then decide correct action, majority of AV/antimalware warnings are BS.