Which Linux for a newbie who doesn't like change ... coming from Windows (7)?

Is 60GB reasonable for a Linux install? 

I have a 60GB SSD drive that I could install to & just unplug all other drives in order to use Linux. 

Would be one way, no?

obviously no good for downloading 60GB files to it but just for regular browsing & downloading smaller files...?

8 hours ago, Technique said:

Is 60GB reasonable for a Linux install? 

I have a 60GB SSD drive that I could install to & just unplug all other drives in order to use Linux. 

Would be one way, no?

obviously no good for downloading 60GB files to it but just for regular browsing & downloading smaller files...?

It’s all depends on use case. I cannot

function on a Linux install that does not span a minimum of a 500GB drive. 

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

How come?

It'll work or it wont work is pretty irrelevant without it being put in to some kind of context.

You say you need 500GB. Why is that? Are you downloading numerous 100GB files daily for example?

That's what i'm saying. If Mint takes up for example 10GB and then some programs take up a further 10GB (i'm just throwing random figures here) then i have 40GB spare. Now if i need to download a 40GB+ file i'm screwed but so long as i'm browsing and sticking to smaller file sizes then i should be good.

Aside from the fact that my SSD drives seem to decrease in available space on the daily without me downloading anything.

Just trying to think of one way around the task.

30 minutes ago, Technique said:

How come?

It'll work or it wont work is pretty irrelevant without it being put in to some kind of context.

You say you need 500GB. Why is that? Are you downloading numerous 100GB files daily for example?

That's what i'm saying. If Mint takes up for example 10GB and then some programs take up a further 10GB (i'm just throwing random figures here) then i have 40GB spare. Now if i need to download a 40GB+ file i'm screwed but so long as i'm browsing and sticking to smaller file sizes then i should be good.

Aside from the fact that my SSD drives seem to decrease in available space on the daily without me downloading anything.

Just trying to think of one way around the task.

I need the space for source code and applications. Compiling the source takes a ton of space too. 

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

For a Linux noob, I doubt he would need more than 60GB...

21 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

For a Linux noob, I doubt he would need more than 60GB...

I didn’t say otherwise. 

21 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I didn’t say otherwise. 

J/S, bro. I doubt he would ever have to worry about what you use, that's all.

27 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

J/S, bro. I doubt he would ever have to worry about what you use, that's all.

He asked , that’s the only reason I mentioned what I use. 

Another newbie Linux thread.

We should edit the below topic to have a newbie guide. This question is asked like every day on the internet and Google yields thousands of results.

Personally, I believe you CAN"T go wrong with Ubuntu [Unless you have a 4k or 3k monitor]. In that case, I don't recommend Linux at all because their scaling sucks across the board, maybe with the exception of Elemental OS.

Definitely don't get started with Fedora or Slack, unless you are extremely technical or are willing to troubleshoot. I personally prefer CentOS as it is a stable form of Fedora [really a descendent of Redhat], but in reality, if you wanted a command line only Unix, I would go with FreeBSD. 

If you feel like reading a lot:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+linux+distro+for+newbies

32 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Another newbie Linux thread.

We should edit the below topic to have a newbie guide. This question is asked like every day on the internet and Google yields thousands of results.

Personally, I believe you CAN"T go wrong with Ubuntu [Unless you have a 4k or 3k monitor]. In that case, I don't recommend Linux at all because their scaling sucks across the board, maybe with the exception of Elemental OS.

Definitely don't get started with Fedora or Slack, unless you are extremely technical or are willing to troubleshoot. I personally prefer CentOS as it is a stable form of Fedora [really a descendent of Redhat], but in reality, if you wanted a command line only Unix, I would go with FreeBSD. 

If you feel like reading a lot:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+linux+distro+for+newbies

Have had zero scaling issues with 4K in Ubuntu, Manjaro, Arch, MX, Elementary. 

19 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Yeah, that...

And, @SpeedyTheSnail, CentOS is nowhere close to a beginner's OS. Any Ubuntu and Mint, those are the best choices for him.

I concur with the ubuntu or mint for him...

These have to be in the top 3 of distro's for ease of migration just boot on anything and have great support for pretty much all hardware. With support for first time users very active.

But he really should not be here for putting any specific distro on his specific hardware and deployment.  He should be on their site..

Not to bring this up again.. But I really think this just a troll.. He is always 10 years behind on anything.. Has a hard time reading posts, he seems to create threads that go on and on and on - not because its on topic great topics.. But just BS that goes all over the place and just rambles on forever when clearly the guy is 10 years behind.. Or just a troll o shill ???????????????

I am having a hard time trying to figure this guy out - why is there every other day/week another thread where he just doesn't get it??

I guess we all that friend....   But come on this just to be going over the top.... Seems the only threads lately are this guy just not having a clue...

On 1/23/2019 at 9:11 PM, adrynalyne said:

Technically I have a 3k monitor, but I'm praying that shouldn't cause many issues.

What version of Ubuntu? I've tried the most recent version but Chrome didn't scale nicely [specifically].

On 1/23/2019 at 9:33 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, that...

And, @SpeedyTheSnail, CentOS is nowhere close to a beginner's OS. Any Ubuntu and Mint, those are the best choices for him.

I definitely agree with you! I've been using [or dabbling] in Linux for nearly 20 years now, I started out by installing [or failing to install] Redhat on my dad's work computer in 1998 (4th grade) that was a bad day.

Ubuntu has been my favorite distro until their Unity interface. KDE is too buggy, leaving me with MATE as my DE of choice [Though I did like XFCE].

Until MS Office gets ported to Linux and the different devs can unify, Linux will remain a hobbyist and server / scientific / IoT operating system.

People want something that just works, that is supported by kind support people, not the hostile Linux forums. They want familiarity in addition to that.

2 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Until MS Office gets ported to Linux and the different devs can unify, Linux will remain a hobbyist and server / scientific / IoT operating system.

People want something that just works, that is supported by kind support people, not the hostile Linux forums. They want familiarity in addition to that.

Hostile? Now, Arch Forums are hostile, but I've never seen any other being a bad influence.

16 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Technically I have a 3k monitor, but I'm praying that shouldn't cause many issues.

What version of Ubuntu? I've tried the most recent version but Chrome didn't scale nicely [specifically].

18.04.1 most recently. 

10 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Hostile? Now, Arch Forums are hostile, but I've never seen any other being a bad influence.

Tunnel vision in full effect then. I’ve been using Linux off and on for 17 years and  know how hostile much of those forums are. I stay clear for that very reason. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Tunnel vision in full effect then. I’ve been using Linux off and on for 17 years and even I know how hostile much of those forums are. I stay clear for that very reason. 

Why I google most of my problems...

55 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I thought you said Arch forums were the only hostile ones?

Only one I thought was "did you read the wiki?" IMO, no one else is like that...

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Only one I thought was "did you read the wiki?" IMO, no one else is like that...

Well that and "Submit a bug report", followed by, "don't submit a bug report if you don't know what you are doing" on pretty much any Linux forum except probably Ubuntu.

Linux users are elitists, kind of like Mac users, but more knowledgeable. 

31 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Well that and "Submit a bug report", followed by, "don't submit a bug report if you don't know what you are doing" on pretty much any Linux forum except probably Ubuntu.

Linux users are elitists, kind of like Mac users, but more knowledgeable. 

Oh, that, too... Linux noobs are always gonna ask the stupidest questions. And we don't like hearing it, basically...

42 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Oh, that, too... Linux noobs are always gonna ask the stupidest questions. And we don't like hearing it, basically...

That’s precisely the elitist attitude he was talking about.