• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Which Linux for a newbie who doesn't like change ... coming from Windows (7)?

Rigby    1,556

Linux Mint is nice. No matter what distro you try though you will have to accept change since none of them are exactly like Windows.

Technique    34

Yeah i know it’s not the same. That’s why I want to try it out to see if I like it or not. 

Id like to get past the first hurdle though 😂

Ill see tonight when I get home from work. 

Technique    34

Well i give up with this. It's clearly either something i'm doing or something with my PC but it's just not working.

I burned to a new DVD (slower speed, different brand) - this time it got as far as the Linux count down, and then it hits 0, i get the black screen & nothing happens (yes, even when waiting).

That Rufus thing actually worked today for some reason so i tried the USB stick - i get as far as the step above but when the screen went black it popped open the DVD drive which contained the DVD from the previous attempt.

I tried again, this time with another Linux Mint .iso. The same (Cinnamon) but just downloaded another time, in case the first was bad - same end result.

Then i thought maybe it's Linux Mint, so i tried ZorinOS with Rufus. Fired it up and got the exact same thing. A screen came up which looked like 2 icons of perhaps a keyboard and a person at the bottom and then the screen went black and it did nothing.

Chances of 2 Linux downloads AND a Zorin download being bad? Slim to none. So it has to either be me, even though i feel i'm doing everything i'm told to do, or my PC for some reason.

Technique    34

To give the full picture, if i hit a key while Linux was counting down then i got this screen

1545822869_Photo14-01-201981035pm.thumb.jpg.b04fa18f560c4ad16288e1a165812504.jpg

Selecting the first option, to boot to Linux just left me with a black screen like mentioned earlier.

Mindovermaster    1,674

Try starting in capatibility mode...

Technique    34

That’s actually worked. I’m at the installer screen. 

I get get the option to install Linux mint alongside windows 7 which I thought is what I should select

but I read yesterday that this installs it on the same drive as windows 7 & that I should actually select ‘something else’ option. 

Can an anyone here confirm which I should select to proceed?

Mindovermaster    1,674

Capatibility mode is kind of like safe mode in Windows ;) Can do a lot more, though ;)

"Alongside Windows" does mean on the same drive as Windows. Means exactly what it says.

If you are installing this on a separate drive, do the "install on whole disk".

Technique    34
20 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

If you are installing this on a separate drive, do the "install on whole disk".

I don't see that option but i do see "erase disk and install linux mint".

I want to make sure i select the right option as i'm aware my setup is not 'the norm'

When i look at guides on how to do it they pretty much all seem to have Windows (be it 7, 8 or 10) on a drive & they want to free up space on THAT drive to install Linux on.

Whereas obviously i have Windows 7 on drive A, another Windows 7 on drive B and i'm looking at putting Linux on drive C (or at least a partition of drive C since the main chunk of it is used as storage for drive B - i've already partitioned off 256GB for Linux on drive C from within Windows)

So with my setup being a little different i wanted to be 100% sure i select the right option that will still allow me to access the Windows 7 installs.

Nick H.    9,317

I don't pretend to know Linux inside-out, but what happens if you run Ubuntu through a live USB key? I thought Mint had it as an option, but perhaps not...

Most Linux distros offer a live experience - something that you can install on a USB key and load up on any computer so that you can see if you like it or not.

Don't do the full wipe option! Don't do the "install on whole disk" option!

At this stage we don't really know what you've done, and it would be erroneous of us to suggest such an idea if we prefer that you don't come back to us saying, "you screwed up my HDD!" ;)

Mindovermaster    1,674

I think he is in the live session... But yeah, if it's just in a partition , dont do full wipe...

Technique    34

Then in that case there isn’t the option you tell me to select. 

Which begs the question...

install alongside windows

or

”something else”. 

???

all the videos I’ve watched and the few guides I’ve read all selected ‘something else’. The only time I saw a vote for alongside was a thread on some Linux forum but then I read that doing that (choosing alongside) adds it to the add/remove programs from within windows, which suggests to me it’ll install it on the same drive as windows (which I don’t want) 

Mindovermaster    1,674
8 hours ago, Technique said:

Then in that case there isn’t the option you tell me to select. 

You never told me how you where partitioning that...

8 hours ago, Technique said:

all the videos I’ve watched and the few guides I’ve read all selected ‘something else’. The only time I saw a vote for alongside was a thread on some Linux forum but then I read that doing that (choosing alongside) adds it to the add/remove programs from within windows, which suggests to me it’ll install it on the same drive as windows (which I don’t want) 

There a reason you don't want choosing alongside?

Did you watch any videos on "something else"? It's really easy to set up...

Technique    34

🤦‍♂️ I’ll respond to that later when I’m home from work. Hopefully I don’t knock myself out on this wall I’m about to bash my head against. 

Mindovermaster    1,674
8 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Abandonware.

21 minutes ago, margrave said:

What Adrynalyne said, and he is trying to install Mint. Don't confuse him more..

margrave    1,290

I didn't know it was abandonware. Sorry.

Mindovermaster    1,674
25 minutes ago, margrave said:

I didn't know it was abandonware. Sorry.

Yeah... "Last stable version: april 2016". Right on their front page ;) 

margrave    1,290

What?!

Don't expect me to read AND cognitively comprehend the information I just ingested!

Technique    34
5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You never told me how you where partitioning that...

Ok i've mustered enough energy now for this...

No, i didn't but then how am i supposed to know what to tell you and what not to tell you as when i try to bullet point things people responding moan that i haven't given enough info so how could they possibly advise and when i try give all info to avoid potential questions i'm moaned at for giving too much info?

No i never told you directly but it's been mentioned on here and i think you've possibly commented on each & every one of my threads since i've made a return here.

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

There a reason you don't want choosing alongside?

If alongside means on the same drive then yeah - there's not enough room for starters. More than that, this is a try out. I may not like it. It's all well and good i can 'add/remove' but that leaves stuff behind and i just prefer the install on a new unused partition.

Did you watch any videos on "something else"?

I'm not sure...

all the videos I’ve watched and the few guides I’ve read all selected ‘something else’.

You mention i don't tell you things but then when i do you don't read them?

Mindovermaster    1,674
1 hour ago, Technique said:

Ok i've mustered enough energy now for this...

No, i didn't but then how am i supposed to know what to tell you and what not to tell you as when i try to bullet point things people responding moan that i haven't given enough info so how could they possibly advise and when i try give all info to avoid potential questions i'm moaned at for giving too much info?

No i never told you directly but it's been mentioned on here and i think you've possibly commented on each & every one of my threads since i've made a return here.

reason why I asked, bro...

If alongside means on the same drive then yeah - there's not enough room for starters. More than that, this is a try out. I may not like it. It's all well and good i can 'add/remove' but that leaves stuff behind and i just prefer the install on a new unused partition.

IIRC, we suggested to you use VM. What happened to that? You can add and remove everything you want. (of Linux)

You mention i don't tell you things but then when i do you don't read them?

That is hidden in there. I might have missed that. This is a tech forum. We keep asking you certian questions to help you. If you think this is to much, ask somewhere else...

Technique    34
8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

IIRC, we suggested to you use VM. What happened to that? You can add and remove everything you want. (of Linux)

I've already said what happened to that.

What happened is that it runs at snail pace. It's painfully slow. I don't want it on its own partition because i'm bored and have nothing better to do to fill my time, i want it on its own partition because having it run through a VM is just painfully slow.

8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That is hidden in there. I might have missed that. This is a tech forum. We keep asking you certian questions to help you. If you think this is to much, ask somewhere else...

I don't mind questions, i have plenty of them myself.

If i appear to have had too much then i'll explain why. Take a look at your second post here - page 1, then take a look at your first post on page 3.

Helpful replies?

And no it's not just about 2 posts on 1 thread. I started posting more frequently here perhaps early last month. I've made a number of threads since then and even more posts and questions. I've been getting those kinds of replies from you on & off throughout and i just think why bother? So every time you post i'm instantly on guard as to whether it's another unhelpful post.

The frustrating thing about that though is that you actually CAN and HAVE BEEN helpful and those posts are very much appreciated. Who got me past the sticky page of Linux for example? YOU, nobody else, but then you post stuff like what i just mentioned and like i said, i'm instantly guarded.

ThaCrip    526
On 1/10/2019 at 7:35 AM, Technique said:

my motherboard is also quite old, at least 10 years.

While that might be old compared to tech standards in general I am sure it's lightning fast compared to a PC I installed Mint v19.1 Xfce on recently. so I doubt it will have problems with Linux Mint as I recently put Linux Mint v19.1 Xfce 32bit on a ancient computer I had in 2001 (i.e. it's nearly a full 18 years old now) which only has a 1.2Ghz Athlon CPU along with only 1GB of RAM and it works even though it's slow, primarily web browsing, but that's to be expected due to lack of CPU power. hell, I was a bit surprised because not all that long ago (maybe a couple of years or so) it seemed web browsers started to require SSE2 instructions on the CPU which that CPU only has SSE but Firefox v64.0 actually works on that CPU so they must have changed something to allow the web browser to load up again as before the browser simply would not load up in the past (I think it was using something like Lubuntu at the time) and basically made the computer almost useless because without at least some very basic web site functionality, the computer would be very limited/next to useless at that point. because only reason I attempted the recent Mint install was I figured I could at least run my password manager should I need to log onto a website using another device and manually type the password in from the old PC screen to say a smart phone or something of that sort but, to my surprise, when I loaded up Firefox in Mint v19.1, it actually worked.

but anyways... while it works well enough, it does struggle noticeably on loading basic websites as while it does technically work, it's quite slow because you can see CPU usage is generally 100% most of the time when browsing websites etc (once the site is fully loaded and your not doing much, CPU usage comes down a bit). even when getting updates from within the OS itself, it hits 100% CPU a fair amount. but as far as basic navigation in Linux menus etc it's good enough and fairly snappy considering it's just shy of 18 years old (like as long as your not doing anything too taxing on the CPU the basic menu navigation is pretty responsive). but about all I am going to use this computer for is that (rare) occasion my main PC breaks down so I can use that one to order more parts etc for it as without another computer it would suck because I got all of my passwords to websites in a password manager (i.e. https://pwsafe.org/ ) and that password manager works in Linux to (i.e. search for 'passwordsafe' in the Software Manager) with the database I created on my main Windows computer. then I used Clonezilla and made a image of that ancient computers hard drive and stored the image on my main PC (through samba share option in Clonezilla) in case anything acts up in the future I can simply restore a known working image as, once the actual imaging process started, it took a little over 18min to finish creating the image and that's about 9GB or so of data it has to process but compressed down to around a 2GB image using the 'zstd' compression option in Clonezilla's 'expert' settings (If you got a dual core or better CPU select the 'pzstd' instead as it will speed things up since it will use multiple cores instead of just one core) as that's just better than the default compression as it's faster and generally compresses better. so while it was only a little over 18min to finish making the image, if you count initial boot up time and booting from the CD-RW disc etc, like from start to finish, I would imagine it's probably closer to 30min or so but I did not time this. but it's probably a good idea to verify the image to which Clonezilla will ask you during the initial setup (like if you want to verify the image or skip that process) which will take more time (but it's a bit faster than the image creation process) but if that finishes it's probably less likely anything would act up should you need to restore a image from your networks samba share (chances are it will work fine though without verifying but it's a good idea to do that at least once) from your Windows 10 PC as that Clonezilla boot CD/DVD/USB(I can only use CD/DVD since that old computer basically don't like booting from USB) basically accesses your Windows 10 samba share and stores the image on your main PC's hard drive through the network and being my router is basically limited to 10-11MB/s that will slow things down a bit depending on the situation but it's better than using the USB port which is the old v1 stuff which is limited to 1MB/s and not the usual 30MB/s or so that a typical USB v2 port has as that's another reason I did not even consider connecting a external HDD to the old PC for imaging with Clonezilla as it would have took way to long because the USB v1 port would really bottleneck things.

but anyways... with Mint I suggest you use this site as it's got some good general advice...  https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ ; but by default the way Linux uses RAM it's a good idea to do this tweak at the very least... https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/first-mint-cinnamon.html#ID1.6 ; because it will make Linux take longer before it starts using swap file. basically improves overall performance because I noticed when I only have 1GB of RAM it does not take long before it starts using swap file (as shown in Task Manager) but after that tweak (i.e. the 'swappiness=10' instead of the default of 'swappiness=60') that issue goes away.

just some thoughts as I am sure others around here have pretty much got you covered so I just thought I would post a little info for you is all.

p.s. if your not sure which version you want, Cinnamon is likely a good default choice since it's the most popular. although MATE and Xfce are a little better on resources (with Xfce being the lightest). but either way, you can't really go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mindovermaster    1,674

I've already said what happened to that.

What happened is that it runs at snail pace. It's painfully slow. I don't want it on its own partition because i'm bored and have nothing better to do to fill my time, i want it on its own partition because having it run through a VM is just painfully slow.

I don't mind questions, i have plenty of them myself.

If i appear to have had too much then i'll explain why. Take a look at your second post here - page 1, then take a look at your first post on page 3.

Helpful replies?

And no it's not just about 2 posts on 1 thread. I started posting more frequently here perhaps early last month. I've made a number of threads since then and even more posts and questions. I've been getting those kinds of replies from you on & off throughout and i just think why bother? So every time you post i'm instantly on guard as to whether it's another unhelpful post.

The frustrating thing about that though is that you actually CAN and HAVE BEEN helpful and those posts are very much appreciated. Who got me past the sticky page of Linux for example? YOU, nobody else, but then you post stuff like what i just mentioned and like i said, i'm instantly guarded.

IMO, VM's aren't slow. My guess, and only a guess, you didn't alot that much RAM into your VM.

Umm, right... If anyone wants to help this poor, soul, be my guest. I'm done trying to help him after 4 pages...

Technique    34

I gave it 4GB. 

And for the next question I gave it the specs are recommended here. Probably on page 1 or 2.