Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high

2018_10_25_57163_1540485496._large.jpg

As bizarre as it sounds, young Indonesians have found another affordable way to get tipsy — boiling sanitary pads and drinking the water.  :x

Police in Jakarta; Bekasi, West Java; and Kudus, Central Java, have arrested several teenagers caught while experimenting with unusual methods of getting intoxicated. Most used menstrual pads to make the formula. :omg:

"The used pads they took from the trash were put in boiling water. After it cooled down they drank it together,” Suprinarto said :punch:

Full story: https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/11/11/teenagers-boil-sanitary-pads-to-get-high.html

3 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

What's the science behind it?

I don't know but you would think there may be chemicals in the pad itself.

32 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

it is quite old news and when I originally saw it the author said the is some chemical in the manufacture of pad.  no one is sure.

new pads would be nice but who has the money for that.

my BIG question is WTF discovered it first????????????..???????????????????????????????????,,,?????

who drunk  boiled used pad water?

they where so poor that they  boiled used pads to be reused.. ok... I can believe it. but who DRANK the water....

they must be even poorer then poor that before drinking the water someone put it to such use.

Every year someone finds a small group of idiots doing something and the media blows it up into "everyone under 20 is doing it and the sky is falling!". When I was in high school, all the parents thought "sex bracelets" were a big thing with us. I don't know for sure if this particular one is valid, but i can basically guarantee it isn't trendy or common.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:32 PM, Raphaël G. said:

When heated some pads can give off chloroethane and/or chloroform, both being anesthetics

Edited by DocM