1 PC licence.

Question

I'm just wondering about the restrictions of the 'licenced to 1 PC' that some software restricts you to.

Forget any workarounds that people talk cryptically about but never actually help you with because that's just pointless.

Now i understand that if i pay for some software that is tied to the first thing it is installed on then take my PC for example - i can't then install it on my laptop and expect it to work i imagine.

But my PC currently has 2 physical drives that both have Windows 7 on each with a dual boot system.

1) 256GB SSD - Windows 7 installed.

2) 2TB SSHD - Windows 7 installed.

Now take iMazing for example: https://imazing.com/store

the cheapest option is a licence for 1 computer. Forget that 2 computers is 'only' an extra £5. If you don't need it then it's a pointless spend.

Would i be able to install it on BOTH the Windows 7 drives in my PC, since they technically form part of the same computer, even though they are separate Windows 7 installs?

The question isn't just limited to iMazing but all software that is licenced to 1 computer.

4 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Technique said:

I'm just wondering about the restrictions of the 'licenced to 1 PC' that some software restricts you to.

Forget any workarounds that people talk cryptically about but never actually help you with because that's just pointless.

Now i understand that if i pay for some software that is tied to the first thing it is installed on then take my PC for example - i can't then install it on my laptop and expect it to work i imagine.

But my PC currently has 2 physical drives that both have Windows 7 on each with a dual boot system.

1) 256GB SSD - Windows 7 installed.

2) 2TB SSHD - Windows 7 installed.

Now take iMazing for example: https://imazing.com/store

the cheapest option is a licence for 1 computer. Forget that 2 computers is 'only' an extra £5. If you don't need it then it's a pointless spend.

Would i be able to install it on BOTH the Windows 7 drives in my PC, since they technically form part of the same computer, even though they are separate Windows 7 installs?

The question isn't just limited to iMazing but all software that is licenced to 1 computer.

Nope. Two installs on the same machine are not allowed unless the license specifies it. 

1 PC license = single install on one machine. 

Having two installs of the same operating system on one PC is a bit of an unusual situation to be in. You are only using the software on one machine, however I suspect if you try to activate the software on the second Windows 7 install iMazing would see this as a different machine.

Using Office 365 as an example, two installs on the same machine would take up 2 of my 5 allowed installs. However with 1Password i'd be ok as the software is licensed per user, not per device, so I can install 1Password on all my personal devices.

I could make a good argument either way for this situation, so the best thing to do would be to ask iMazing if this requires you to purchase two licences or just one.

7 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

I could make a good argument either way for this situation, so the best thing to do would be to ask iMazing if this requires you to purchase two licences or just one.

True, although i suspect their reaction would be (in between laughing) ahhhh that old chestnut. Yeah sure, we believe you.

Hello,

The actual terms are going to vary from software vendor to software vendor.  For example, my employer considers a customer's computer as one device.  If they multi-boot different operating systems, say Microsoft Windows and Linux, the PC still counts as once device, and the customer can install the software on each OS and it still counts as a single device.  On the other hand, if the customer is running multiple operating systems concurrently (via Terminal Services, etc.), then each virtualized workstation needs a separate license.  And, of course, if an enterprise is big enough, they may have additional some specialized licensing as well.  When I was at McAfee Associates, we did a license for an agency that did not know exactly how many PCs they had, but did know where all of their offices were, so we worked with them to provide a license for all computers they owned within a geographic boundary specified by latitude and longitude.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky