• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Recovery part inaccessible

elgolmon    1

Hi everyone,

I have an Asus laptop from 2009. It was working like charm until I lost my internet connection after somehow uninstalling some drivers I guess.

I wanted at first to start in safe mode, but it didn't work.

When I restarted the computer, it didn't boot anymore.

So I tried to access the recovery partition and I couldn't, so I installed Windows 7 from an image downloaded from Microsoft website, hoping I could restore everything back.

Now, I'm stuck and I can't access this recovery partition, it still visible in the disk manager.

I tried to select the partition from command prompt and I restarted, it's not working.

Any idea ?

Thanks

helpifIcan    45

If the laptop is working with the new image don't worry about the recovery partition. The only difference is the extra stuff you probable don't use anyway. You will have to go to the ASUS site an download the correct drivers for your PC so that all the ASUS specific things work.

Circaflex    3,515
2 hours ago, elgolmon said:

Hi everyone,

I have an Asus laptop from 2009. It was working like charm until I lost my internet connection after somehow uninstalling some drivers I guess.

I wanted at first to start in safe mode, but it didn't work.

When I restarted the computer, it didn't boot anymore.

So I tried to access the recovery partition and I couldn't, so I installed Windows 7 from an image downloaded from Microsoft website, hoping I could restore everything back.

Now, I'm stuck and I can't access this recovery partition, it still visible in the disk manager.

I tried to select the partition from command prompt and I restarted, it's not working.

Any idea ?

Thanks

By restoring everything back, are you referring to your personal data or the OEM software and drivers? If you are referring to your data, you will need to stop using the device so you don't overwrite anymore on the drive itself and use some sort of 3rd party program to recover the data. @warwagon would be a good resource for recommending a program that actually works. If you are referring to the ASUS software and drivers, you're best bet would be to visit ASUS's support site, download the drivers to the computer if you have internet working on it out of the box, otherwise use another computer or your phone if possible to download the drivers and either put them on a flash drive (if you used another computer) or plug your phone into the computer and hope it works out of the box as a usb drive.

+warwagon    12,743
33 minutes ago, helpifIcan said:

If the laptop is working with the new image don't worry about the recovery partition. The only difference is the extra stuff you probable don't use anyway. You will have to go to the ASUS site an download the correct drivers for your PC so that all the ASUS specific things work.

I agree. I never use the recovery partition. All you get with the recovery partition is a severely out of date install of windows (in the case of Windows 7 probably an image without the latest service pack) and a tone of crapware and a trial AV.

That being said, I would recommend checking the smart data of the hard drive for any current pending sectors. I would recommend crystaldisk info https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

elgolmon    1

Thanks a lot guys, you made me think of my computer which is 9 years old. I'm going to install Ubuntu for a second youngness !

• Like 1