Falcon 9: Crew Dragon DM-1 (uncrewed test flight)

damn, I need to take a wiz but don't want to miss the actual dock...

Just now, Matthew S. said:

damn, I need to take a wiz but don't want to miss the actual dock...

I know the feeling... I'm waiting to go to the store!

I'm on the Youtube stream, got audio for me.

1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

I'm on the Youtube stream, got audio for me.

So was I, no audio. Switched to Nasa.tv now and it has audio... Weird.

sure you didn't have the yt player on mute?

Just now, Matthew S. said:

sure you didn't have the yt player on mute?

Absolutely sure. Quite a few commenting in the chat about no sound also.

Weird, the stream I'm on has the chat disabled

And Hard Docked

I'm streaming to the big smart TV and sound was great.

Hard capture confirmed.

That was really smooth.

Now for 2 hours of connections, vestibule pressurization, checks & such before they open the hatch. 

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

That universal docking hatch adapter doesn't look very well aligned! :p

How so?  The Pressurized Mating Adapters have a somewhat odd shape (by design of course).

Capture.thumb.JPG.a405de7f9d7c1890a30f3e902f993f32.JPG

9 hours ago, DocM said:

They not only have the Draco engine's de-orbit and maneuvering props but also the unused SuperDraco's props that would have been used for a launch escape. Same stuff.

I think this has been asked before, but it may have been about a year ago and I don't remember.  Are those Super Draco's able to be used if shoots happen to fail?

On 3/3/2019 at 2:31 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

Yes, but that hardly lets them blast up to the ISS, slam on the rockets to brake quickly, and then dock all in a few hours...

They did a halt/back off/hold/proceed test using the Draco thruster quads (4) before moving to the actual docking, so yes they can. These are also used to deorbit.

Edited by DocM

1 minute ago, DocM said:

They did halt/back off/hold test using the Draco thrusters before proceeding to the actual docking, so yes they can. These are also used to deorbit.

Okay mister know it all.. If I'm wrong, YOU explain to the guy why the Dragon 2 doesn't just rocket up to the ISS in a couple of hours at full burn, then just slam on the brakes meters before collision, and instead takes 24+ hours to get there.

On 3/3/2019 at 11:25 AM, bguy_1986 said:

I think this has been asked before, but it may have been about a year ago and I don't remember.  Are those Super Draco's able to be used if  those Super Draco's able to be used if shoots happen to fail?

NASA's certification program for propulsive landings was onerous so SpaceX reluctantly dropped it from the  baseline spec. 

What's unknown is if NASA  quietly allowed the landing code to remain Crew Dragon's software for use as a Hail Mary if the chutes fail. 

If the chutes fail and a crew is lost because NASA nixed a Hail Mary mode heads will roll, and it won't be at SpaceX.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Okay mister know it all.. If I'm wrong, YOU explain to the guy why the Dragon 2 doesn't just rocket up to the ISS in a couple of hours at full burn, then just slam on the brakes meters before collision, and instead takes 24+ hours to get there.

As far as blasting up with a high rate of closure  then slamming on the brakes, safety. It's a slow, controlled approach, about 1.5 meters/second.

Also because the overall transit time depends on a song and dance between ISS's altitude (higher after it's been re-boosted), the ISS Visiting vehicle Schedule (crowded), orbital mechanics and will NASA want to do it? They're big on doing things the way they always have. 

Another factor is Pre-Determined Debris Avoidance Maneuvers (PDAM), avoiding orbital debris.

For an un-crewed vehicle which is not putting humans at risk, launch on opportunity.