• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

ASUS RT-AC5300 Cat6 cable on WAN port

Riva    1,126

Hello I did some moving around to optimise my signal however i hit a bump where the router does not appear to accept the cat 6, 10m long ethernet cable on the WAN port. I have tested the cable and the modem and they appear to work just fine. Any thoughts? or shall I just downgrade to Cat5?

adrynalyne    11,698
12 minutes ago, Riva said:

Hello I did some moving around to optimise my signal however i hit a bump where the router does not appear to accept the cat 6, 10m long ethernet cable on the WAN port. I have tested the cable and the modem and they appear to work just fine. Any thoughts? or shall I just downgrade to Cat5?

Try another cable? It doesn’t really

make sense that it’s not supported. 

• Like 1

sc302    1,723

for a cat 6 cable to not work, it is bad.  has nothing to do with compatibility.  

Riva    1,126

So after a lot of rebooting it worked. This router has a strange behaviour as suggested by other people on various forums. Looks like the router wont properly initialise unless the wan connection works first.

adrynalyne    11,698
2 hours ago, Riva said:

So after a lot of rebooting it worked. This router has a strange behaviour as suggested by other people on various forums. Looks like the router wont properly initialise unless the wan connection works first.

Garbage router. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Riva    1,126
22 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Garbage router. 

Yeah I am surprised I didnt return it while it was within the waranty. This is the first time i am a bit disappointed by an ASUS router

adrynalyne    11,698
2 hours ago, Riva said:

Yeah I am surprised I didnt return it while it was within the waranty. This is the first time i am a bit disappointed by an ASUS router

Can you run third party firmware? That might help. 

• Like 1

DevTech    1,517
On 1/19/2019 at 6:41 AM, Riva said:

On 1/19/2019 at 9:13 AM, adrynalyne said:

Can you run third party firmware? That might help. 

I use custom firmware on an ASUS I use as an access point and it turned a very flaky device into a smooth running reliable digital family member working away tirelessly every day to feed my stupidly thin Dell XPS laptop that couldn't fit a LAN port!

Riva    1,126
13 hours ago, DevTech said:

I use custom firmware on an ASUS I use as an access point and it turned a very flaky device into a smooth running reliable digital family member working away tirelessly every day to feed my stupidly thin Dell XPS laptop that couldn't fit a LAN port!

Turns out all i needed was an nvram reset. I tried both DDWRT and Merlyn in the past but they all sucked in regards to wifi signal performance. The WAN issue turned out to be the Virgin Media router in modem mode not liking the router rebooting a couple of times.