How to move one file/folder from laptop to PC?

when it wont move?

Basically i'm trying to restore an iPhone from backup. I've tried about 10 times now and every time the iPhone just disconnects mid-restore so i'm going to try and see if restoring from the PC will be of any use (since in the past one machine has worked where the other hasn't).

I tried putting the backup folder on a USB stick - didn't work, tried all ports & still didn't work.

I've tried backing up that folder by using Acronis - again didn't work.

I've tried doing an image of the entire C drive with Acronis - failed again.

I've tried zipping the folder using 7zip - fails because of some I/O error it says.

The folder is about 30-40GB. How can i get it off the laptop and on to my PC?

You could network them together...a simple Ethernet cable between the two...or via a router and share the required folder(s). Wouldn't do this over WiFi.

Though getting IO errors may point to some underlying issues.

By "didn't work," what exactly do you mean? Does the file transfer just cancel itself? Deny you the permissions to copy it? Have you tried a different iPhone cable? Tried using a different USB port with the iPhone to restore it? Are you putting the iPhone in DFU mode, or how are you attempting to restore? There are a lot of variables at play here, however if you are a little more descriptive I am sure someone will find a solution for you.

1 hour ago, Technique said:

Well i was able to get it on the passport by using Macrium Reflect.

Problem is i now can't get it off the passport.

FAILS.thumb.png.f7e8c683d42761808dbe27909003ffad.png

I think you may have found your issue....The error message clearly states that 

"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

How exactly would you like to copy a corrupted file, in part or in whole?  It is going to take the corruption with it if it is copied.  Not sure if there is any resurrection you can do with that file.  

let me bring up my trusty google search....

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable.html

seems like everywhere is pointing to run a chkdsk/r  

good luck, but it looks like you might be hosed.

12 minutes ago, sc302 said:

seems like everywhere is pointing to run a chkdsk/r  

What's that do?

I just connected the laptop to the PC to transfer via ethernet cable and yeah it's that file/folder that froze the thing so looks like you're right.

Is it possible to repair an iPhone backup at all?

The command listed above tries to repair the corrupted files.   It usually works with small files. But I don’t know how bad your file is, and it is a bit larger than I have seen with successful repairs.  You have nothing else to lose at this point.  

regards how i'd like to copy it and what i want to achieve - if i can extract the photos from this backup file then that will be enough really. 

What puzzles me is the fact the file is dated 10th January when the backup was created 15th January.

I'm wondering if maybe the same file can be used from an older backup to replace the bad file in the current backup.

4 minutes ago, kryten said:

Are the photos not backed up to iCloud?

Afraid not. It's a 128GB phone with over 4000 photos. The free iCloud doesn't offer enough storage and paid storage wasn't taken out.

I have recovered directly from iPhone backups without restoring. I have used programs on Mac and on pc, but couldn’t tell you which ones work best with which OS version. Anyone else reading this post with suggestions?

Just to say pulling that file from a backup on the pc (broken backup is on laptop) won’t work as it doesn’t seem to exist. 

Weird because ive had (false) corrupt file messages during restore before (which later worked - like I said, false error messages) but I got no corrupt message during the restore, only the iPhone disconnecting. 

The previous backup on the pc was unfortunately early December. Close ish and better than nothing but enough for plenty to be missed. 

Annoying as when backing up for anything major I usually make 3 backups using 3 different ports just in case, for this very reason, both on laptop and pc for a total of 6 backups. This time I made only 1 as was in a hurry. 

Also, if I can get the bad backup folder on to my pc, I’m wondering if I can maybe use iMazing to extract from the backup since my iMazing is tied to my PC. 

Just a thought, can I connect the laptop to the pc in a manner where the laptop hard drive will be seen as a hard drive that essentially is part of the pc?

not sure if I’ve explained that very well. I connected them both via Ethernet last night and tried to transfer it and it was transferring like it would if I tried transferring to an external drive

but if the laptop drive can be used by the pc as though it was one of its own then I could use iMazing which is on my pc to extract the photos from the backup held on the laptop. 

Just a thought, can I connect the laptop to the pc in a manner where the laptop hard drive will be seen as a hard drive that essentially is part of the pc?

not sure if I’ve explained that very well. I connected them both via Ethernet last night and tried to transfer it and it was transferring like it would if I tried transferring to an external drive

but if the laptop drive can be used by the pc as though it was one of its own then I could use iMazing which is on my pc to extract the photos from the backup held on the laptop. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026635/windows-map-a-network-drive

How easy is it to remove the HDD from the laptop? Could be worth sticking it in a dock and then accessing it via your PC, that would help with your last point. 

To transfer them over the network you'd need to either; network them together with an Ethernet cable, using a caddy/directly connect the HDD to another PC or share the folder over the network, then it can be accessed as a mapped drive or by the path directly.

When it comes to photos, I'd recommend looking at Google Photos to syncronise them to Google's cloud. Sure, the default option uses compression, but you have unlimited storage using that method (and to be honest, the photos are still of a very good quality). If you wanted to upload in the original file quality, you do get 15GB of free storage with Google, but you'd probably need to purchase more storage for all of those photos.

Are you Amazon prime?  You get full res storage of all your photos.. And free 5G of movies..

I have photos backed up to both google and amazon.  And to my server via nextcloud.. Which then syncs to my PC (where they also get moved to glacier for archive storage/backup).  Most pics are just throw away junk - funny stuff you send in a text, etc.  But then there are photos that can not be replaced ever.. Your kids/Grandkids doing something funny or memorable.. etc. etc.

These sorts of files need to be backed up to multiple locations with multiple methods.  Your local copy would be 1 part of your backup plan for stuff like this..

Not meaning to beat a dead horse - but this really should be common knowledge that is not.. Most people only learn the lesson after a catastrophic loss...

edit:  Your future NAS well be another location to have your photo's sync to as another leg in your backup/DR plan..  Once the files are on your NAS, you can have them easy backed up to glacier, backblaze, etc. etc.  But there will be a cost here.  But how much is piece of mind for your irreplaceable media worth?

20 minutes ago, BudMan said:

edit:  Your future NAS well be another location to have your photo's sync to as another leg in your backup/DR plan..  Once the files are on your NAS, you can have them easy backed up to glacier, backblaze, etc. etc.  But there will be a cost here.  But how much is piece of mind for your irreplaceable media worth?

This a millions times over. I had a few hundred GB of wedding photos stored on my server and there was a day where I'd though I'd lost those files. Thankfully I hadn't, but they are now stored in 3 different physical locations!

8 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

How easy is it to remove the HDD from the laptop? Could be worth sticking it in a dock and then accessing it via your PC, that would help with your last point. 

Not sure to be honest. I've never removed a HDD from a laptop before and i wonder if it could connect to my PC without buying extra equipment?

7 hours ago, BudMan said:

Are you Amazon prime?  You get full res storage of all your photos.. And free 5G of movies..

I have photos backed up to both google and amazon.  And to my server via nextcloud.. Which then syncs to my PC (where they also get moved to glacier for archive storage/backup).  Most pics are just throw away junk - funny stuff you send in a text, etc.  But then there are photos that can not be replaced ever.. Your kids/Grandkids doing something funny or memorable.. etc. etc.

These sorts of files need to be backed up to multiple locations with multiple methods.  Your local copy would be 1 part of your backup plan for stuff like this..

Not meaning to beat a dead horse - but this really should be common knowledge that is not.. Most people only learn the lesson after a catastrophic loss...

Currently have a trial Prime membership which will be getting cancelled before it becomes paid for. Like yourself, most photos are junk but there's obviously irreplaceable photos on there too.

I know people bang on about backing up - thing is a backup was made. Like i say, i usually do 6, 3 on each machine on 3 different USB ports per machine but not this time.

I found the bad folder - folder 31 whatever that is. I removed it (not deleted) and the backup was able to copy to my Passport drive fine without it.

Just a question of whether i can still extract from the backup.

Not sure to be honest. I've never removed a HDD from a laptop before and i wonder if it could connect to my PC without buying extra equipment?

sure can; 2.5" laptop drives still use SATA just like 3.5" HDDs

you can easily either plug internally into another computer or use a SATA to USB adapter; they're cheap adapters and come with most SSD/HDD cloning tools as well

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sata+to+usb&crid=224RT8HFBE38E&sprefix=sata+t%2Caps%2C164&ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_6

13 hours ago, Technique said:

Like i say, i usually do 6, 3 on each machine on 3 different USB ports per machine but not this time.

Sounds like a lot of time and effort - which clearly didn't work.. Which could all be solved by spending a couple of bucks for the space needed online... Which now is automatic.. Google, Amazon, Nextcloud all backup photo's in the background whenever the phone has a wifi connection.

Seems you might have hit your catastrophic loss needed to actually do backups correctly.  Validation is part of the process btw.. No good having backups that don't work.

Time you spent doing copies over to usb sticks that don't work, could of been spent validating your online copies were there, and pruning out the stuff not needed.. Like the 37 drunk photos of your shoes's while trying to take a selfie of you and someone you ran into while out.  You keep the selfie and delete the shoe pics ;)

Only good thing to come out of this is maybe someone will read this and make sure their phone photos are backed up correctly..