QEMU, Lubuntu 18.04 with jittery mouse

Question

I'm on Windows 10 (no admin rights, though) tryng to use QEMU to run a VM with Lubuntu 18.04 so I can use some tools that I do not have installed. This is nothing major- just a developer environment. I have a VMDK, and use VIRTIO for the video driver so I can get 1440x900 resolution. After changing the resolution, my mouse pointer is unpredictable and jittery- it's useless. Tips?

HP Elitebook 840, 8GB, Win 10 1803, 256GB SSD. The Lubuntu VM is pre-built from OSBOXES.ORG; I've used a bunch of their VMs and always had good fortune.

Thanks for any suggestions.

6 answers to this question

Just to be sure, I tried a VHD and indeed, I cannot access Hyper-V. I have read of ways to run VirtualBox without admin rights, but cannot find the links again. I just need to get the mouse straightened out in QEMU to be okay.

Drats. I wish I could install haxim because it speeds things up nicely, but I clearly cannot. Thanks for the search, Brandon. I didn't see anything useful so that was a big help.

If the laptop is been used for Work or School can you not speak to I.T. and explain the issue?

If your having problems using the laptop for its intended purpose with the software provided it could be worth a try.