I discovered a serious BIOS bug (no post or display) on ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe...

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Really? :whistle:

It's OK. It is a complex subject area with a lot of nuance...

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a first order approximation of a risk versus benefit analysis.

The U.S. auto industry had a lot of smart engineers and they were completely blindsided by having that rule of thumb turned inside out on them. And it takes management changes, social changes and tech infrastructure changes to move the needle firmly to the side of "jump in, fix it, and fix it again, and don't stop..."

This was later incorporated into the California Startup Culture and "disrupt everything" and Steve Jobs, "Don't be afraid to cannibalize your own product"

For any of that to work the complexity goes up, the analysis work goes up, the ability levels and knowledge needed goes up and if you can't make that happen, then for most individuals, they are lost in space.

The very worst case is trying for simple solutions to complex problems along the line of "it might be broke just a tiny bit, but there's a simple solution so..." which leads people to make horribly ill-informed decisions in the medical area for example which makes a bad BIOS flash look like nothing...

Complexity has gone up everywhere, causing stress in everyone's lives and we just have to learn more and raise our games to handle it, because simplicity is not the answer.

Einstein said "Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler" to try and teach people that simple solutions are almost NEVER the answer in a complex technological civilization.

We just have to deal with it. Technolgy still rules! Beats huddling around a fire in a cave with the beast howling outside in the night...

Although... for 250,000 continuous years there was this prime real estate cave in Siberia:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/science/neanderthals-denisovans-humans.html

599803370_NeanderthalsandDenisovansliveinthiscavefor250000years.thumb.jpg.fc6f8aa29f4a01918518829f272e3340.jpg

Well just to make sure that v1205 BIOS did not work, I attempted to switch BIOS to v1205 from v1103 and it does what i figured... no display/post. so I just flashed back to v1103. so at least now I can confirm that Radeon 5670 GPU's don't like anything newer than v1103 on this ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe board.

but... after looking around online I found someone else with the same problem but he found a work around so that I can use the newest BIOS available for the A8N32-SLI board which is simple... put the Radeon 5670 GPU into the 2nd GPU slot instead of the 1st. it worked! ; source = http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/297600-30-asus-a8n32-deluxe-hd5670-works-slot

so now I am on BIOS v1405 as the ASUS site says do not use the v1409 unless you have that specific WinXP issue and I won't use using WinXP so ill just stick to v1405.

On 2/3/2019 at 11:11 AM, n_K said:

How funny, I had the same issue back when I first got a skylake system and got my replacement motherboard, I can't remember the exact BIOS option but one option just caused it to fail to display any graphics, I reset the BIOS configuration and narrowed it down to the configuration option and didn't change that one (I can't remember what it was because it was years ago), but like yours it is an ASUS. I think the manual had text for the option along the line of don't enable this option unless you absolutely must, but I can't remember.

Yeah, I believe that happened on my main PC's motherboard but I don't recall exactly which setting triggered it. all I know is when that happened, to get anything working again, I had to clear CMOS and re-adjust the BIOS settings to my liking and so far everything is good.

my main PC's motherboard is also ASUS (LGA 1155 CPU's) and newest BIOS for that was in 2014. it's a UEFI board.

Edited by ThaCrip

• 1 month later...