WiFi Issues Windows 10 Home

I'm running W10 Home 1809 Build 17763.292 and have been for weeks before this issue arose. Basically all of  sudden I am losing wifi to my laptop at home, often multiple times a day.

Nothing has changed at my end. I just don't lose wifi, the laptop can't find it. The only way to fix it is to first reset my modum followed by a network reset on my laptop. It's both time consuming and a pain in the derriere.

I have attempted multiple solutions including uninstalling/reinstalling drivers both through the Acer website and manually through Device Manager. I am reasonably confident this isn't a driver issue. I have also tried a few other fixes as well without success.

Any assistance would be appreciated, thank you.

What is your wireless card brand? Or better, what is your laptop model and #?

I think you are using a previous driver version than Windows 10 does not "knows".

So do your other wireless devices still see the network and have no issues with it?

Ie your phone?  Your tablets?  Any IoT devices, game consoles - smart tv, etc. etc.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

What is your wireless card brand? Or better, what is your laptop model and #?

I think you are using a previous driver version than Windows 10 does not "knows".

It's a few years old now, it's an Acer Aspire ES1-531 and Qualcomm Atheros AR956X Driver number 3.0.2.201

53 minutes ago, BudMan said:

So do your other wireless devices still see the network and have no issues with it?

Ie your phone?  Your tablets?  Any IoT devices, game consoles - smart tv, etc. etc.

No, it's only this laptop. My other laptop, phone and tv are fine.

Then why would you have to reset the modem?

first reset my modum followed by a network reset on my laptop

What are you network settings On your Wireless router - Are you 5ghz or 2.4?  I hope your broadcasting the SSID?  Do you have single ssid for both 2.4 and 5? is your router AC, I believe that old laptop is only N?  Its quite possible its wifi is just dying...

What are the settings in your wireless card for the advanced driver..

21 minutes ago, JR1966 said:

It's a few years old now, it's an Acer Aspire ES1-531 and Qualcomm Atheros AR956X Driver number 3.0.2.201

No, it's only this laptop. My other laptop, phone and tv are fine.

Are you letting windows download the driver, or are you getting them from Qualcomm? Windows update has this driver, 10.0.3.459 however on Qualcomm's website the latest is 10.0.3.458 https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-83-and-Windows10-64bit.html. I am not sure where the 3.0.2.201 is coming from. 

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

Are you letting windows download the driver, or are you getting them from Qualcomm? Windows update has this driver, 10.0.3.459 however on Qualcomm's website the latest is 10.0.3.458 https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-83-and-Windows10-64bit.html. I am not sure where the 3.0.2.201 is coming from. 

It's not coming through when I run Windows Update.

I've just ran the Intel Driver and Support Assistant which tells me that driver 3.0.2.201 is up to date for Qualcomm Atheros AR956X.

Also, I downloaded the file from Qualcomm that you linked to and it's a PDB file. Which program would you recommend to open it?

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Then why would you have to reset the modem?

What are you network settings On your Wireless router - Are you 5ghz or 2.4?  I hope your broadcasting the SSID?  Do you have single ssid for both 2.4 and 5? is your router AC, I believe that old laptop is only N?  Its quite possible its wifi is just dying...

What are the settings in your wireless card for the advanced driver..

I can't get in to my modems settings as my log in is not being accepted for some reason.

Which settings do you need from the driver?

I am normally not a fan of such sites - because they are normally loaded with ____ but not sure what you downloaded... But the file would be a ZIP

downloadiszip.thumb.png.64c12acbc68fbb1311c2360198c7cbf9.png

Just now, JR1966 said:

I can't get in to my modems settings as my log in is not being accepted for some reason.

I would suggest you FIX that! ;)

7 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I am normally not a fan of such sites - because they are normally loaded with ____ but not sure what you downloaded... But the file would be a ZIP

Once it's opened though it's a PDB file. 

1 hour ago, JR1966 said:

Which settings do you need from the driver?

haha, probably a neighbor hijacked your router and changed the password ;)

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

i'm a big fan of https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?lang=en

try that

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

no it is not.

driver.thumb.png.250cf8e2d822c29cdfbd9183a802d1bb.png

Do you not know how to install a driver that is not package in a self running EXE?

driverinstall.thumb.png.267d8c0a933c47729cf0c207354b629c.png

No, I didn't know how to do that...but I do now. I went to YouTube to watch a tutorial. It's installed now and time will tell if it has fixed the issue. I can't thank you enough for that. I'll know what to do in future now.

I will report in a few days how it's going. Thanks again.  :) 

Edit: Just finished chatting with my Isp and have fixed my modem log in. So that's all a good result.

Well, that was short lived. Laptop just froze then rebooted itself. Not only have l lost wifi the laptop can't find my network.

All l can do is use an ethernet cable to get internet back.

16 minutes ago, JR1966 said:

Well, that was short lived. Laptop just froze then rebooted itself. Not only have l lost wifi the laptop can't find my network.

I always recommend this program called Snappy Driver Installer (SDI), this program is amazing at finding and updating all drivers installed in your system. It might be worth a shot trying it out.

12 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I always recommend this program called Snappy Driver Installer (SDI), this program is amazing at finding and updating all drivers installed in your system. It might be worth a shot trying it out.

I'll give it a go and report back. Cheers 👍

8 hours ago, JR1966 said:

Laptop just froze then rebooted itself.

That sort of screams something wrong more than flaking driver.. Heres the thing as well - drivers don't work for ages, and then all of sudden go flaky..  you got something else wrong.. Roll your machine back to date before when you were not having a problem.

• Like 2

If that laptop is a little old, I do not think 10 was originally on there. :/

I'd look at getting a new WiFi card. I've replaced several of them that went bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QualComm-Atheros-QCNFA335-QCA9565-AR9565-WCBN803A-NGFF-Card-Wireless-Wlan-Wifi/192600010468?hash=item2cd7daeee4:g:0SYAAOSwAuZbTFiU:rk:1:pf:0

13 hours ago, BudMan said:

That sort of screams something wrong more than flaking driver.. Heres the thing as well - drivers don't work for ages, and then all of sudden go flaky..  you got something else wrong.. Roll your machine back to date before when you were not having a problem.

That's my next step if needed. So far by using the tool +jnelsoninjax suggested and updating four different drivers the system is stable. 

Lost wifi again and now the laptop can't find it. Also, resetting my network hasn't worked either.

It probably won't help but it's time to try a clean install.

See you on the other side. 👍

41 minutes ago, JR1966 said:

Lost wifi again and now the laptop can't find it. Also, resetting my network hasn't worked either.

It probably won't help but it's time to try a clean install.

See you on the other side. 👍

I don't think it is your modem that is the problem... It is something in your laptop that is messing it up. I bet you anything the WiFi card is on it's last string of life. Like I said above, get a new wireless card. Or like BudMan said, get a USB one.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:03 PM, JR1966 said:

28 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I don't think it is your modem that is the problem... It is something in your laptop that is messing it up. I bet you anything the WiFi card is on it's last string of life. Like I said above, get a new wireless card. Or like BudMan said, get a USB one.

Um.... Better yet, just use the freakin million times more reliable LAN cable!!!!

If you must use WiFi, then pay attention to the frequency, the channel number you are using, the frequency congestion on that channel, line of sight between the 2 antennas involved, and strength and width of the signal.

Dozens of factors that need dealing with to end up with some pathetically less reliable system than just plugging in a wire at both ends...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DevTech said:

Um.... Better yet, just use the freakin million times more reliable LAN cable!!!!

If you must use WiFi, then pay attention to the frequency, the channel number you are using, the frequency congestion on that channel, line of sight between the 2 antennas involved, and strength and width of the signal.

Dozens of factors that need dealing with to end up with some pathetically less reliable system than just plugging in a wire at both ends...

Ya because everyone is easily able to run an ethernet cable either through the wall or just on the ground... /s

Your posts often make it seem like you believe we are still in the a/b wireless era.

• Like 2