German court rules military ‘goth’ must cut hair and beard

https://www.thelocal.de/20190201/german-court-rules-military-goth-must-cut-hair-and-beard

A German soldier has lost a court battle to keep his hair long. The court however said that lawmakers will need to find a justification for why the rule - which allows women but not men to have longer hair - continues to exist.

The soldier argued that the rule was discriminatory as it prescribed different standards for men and for women. 

According to military rules, men’s hair is not allowed to obstruct their eyes or ears, and it is also not allowed to come into contact with their uniforms. The same rules apply for female soldiers, although they are permitted to tie up or braid their hair while on official duty. 

The court held that equal rights rules did not require that all rules must be the same for men and for women. The court held however that the rule itself should be reconsidered as it interferes with the freedom of the individual.

Although the court ruled the man must cut his hair, authorities are now required to provide a justification for why the rule exists - or change it. 

The current rule will continue to apply until the legislators have decided upon a course of action.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:55 PM, DocM said:

Calling Captain Obvious!

This is controversial why?

Because they want it to be! :D

So true, why do military females have a different standard?

5 years in the Marine Corps and they complain about "inequality" but don't want to be held to the same standard as the males.

Either strengthen your military and force women to abide by the same standards as men, because if women are really equal, let them prove it. Or weaken your military and let there be no order and discipline, let everybody have a fashion style.

Only an idiot in the military wants long hair, but hey the enemy likes something easy to grip.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, DocM said:

Calling Captain Obvious!

This is controversial why?

Some people think it makes no sense to mandate different hairstyles for men and women.

I mean, personally, I think there are reasons men and women wear different hairstyles; both aesthetic and also practical, since men also sweat more. I don't think its arbitrary or socially imposed. But it seems none of the military's business, since men's hairstyles can be put up in a bun like women's. Now, if they want to tighten restrictions on women's hairstyles to match restrictions on men's, that's an argument, too.

Another thing is its a weird standard when militaries, prisons, employers allow people to wear beards for religious reasons, but then don't allow anyone else to wear beards. (And I'm sure Sikh men get to keep their hair long)

Edited by redfish