• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can't seem to break 450Mbps upload despite having 1.5Gbps Fiber package with 940Mbps upload speeds.

Question

wakjak    22,506

I recently upgraded my internet from 500Mbps to 1.5Gbps, same price, just change of speed... This also came with an upload speed upgrade to 940Mbps. However, it always seems that no matter what my internet package is, I never seem to be able to get more than 50% of what my upload speed is provisioned for... and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

It's not a deal breaker in any way, but if I'm paying $140 a month for an internet package, I would at least like to try to get the speeds i'm paying for, or at least get close....

Now, when I do a speed test, I can max out my download speed @ 900+Mbps on my onboard Gigabit Ethernet device... but as you can see in the video below... once the upload test starts, it's almost like it's struggling to get up to speed... and even then it only gets to around 300Mbps... I have contacted my ISP about it, I believe they said they provisioned my upload to be at least 700+Mbps, and if I do an internal modem speedtest, which is just from the street to the modem, I get both 1.5Gbps and 770Mbps upload... so my modem is receiving both those speeds from the fibre connection.. for some reason it won't push those speeds, even my upload, to my PC..

I'm also using a Cat5E cable from my modem to PC. 

I'm wondering if I upgraded to Cat6/7 and added a 10Gbit Ethernet card, if that would fix my problem, or if there is any other solutions? Image is my Modem, video is SpeedTest.net

l70mI2Y.png

My PC: 

Intel - Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor

MSI - Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB ACX 3.0 Video Card

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

10 answers to this question

Nick H.    10,679

<Moved to The Cloud>

This is possibly more suited for the networking guys. ;)

Gerowen    1,244

Do you have any local devices you can speed test against?  Example, copy a large file back and forth between two devices on the same network together and see what kind of speeds you get.

+BudMan    3,730
On 2/4/2019 at 9:30 PM, wakjak said:

added a 10Gbit Ethernet card

How are you connected now?  That you think you could see 1.5ge?

What modem do you have?  What is its connections?  Make and model - many of these high speed devices are lame and have a 2 gig that they say you can lagg.. But that is never going to give you a single session over 1ge speeds.

• Like 1

wakjak    22,506
2 hours ago, BudMan said:

How are you connected now?  That you think you could see 1.5ge?

What modem do you have?  What is its connections?  Make and model - many of these high speed devices are lame and have a 2 gig that they say you can lagg.. But that is never going to give you a single session over 1ge speeds.

Oh I don't think i'll get 1.5Gbps with my built in Network card currently. I'm connected directly to the Modem with ethernet.  

My Modem is a Bell HomeHub 3000, the newest version of it. 

My problem isn't the download speeds, it's the upload.. i'm just wondering if I'm being limited somewhere for some reason, the speedtest built into the modem can get 1.5Gbps down and 770Mbps upload, that would be from the fibre line into the modem. 

+BudMan    3,730

I can not see to find any actual specs on that... But I highly doubt it has a 10ge port..

You need to make sure your client can actually push 700 on the wire... Do you have another client you can test with?

So for example here is speed test from my machine to nas.. 1ge wired connection.  So test in two modes where the client (my pc sends) and where it gets and the server (nas) sends.. So you can see both over 900.. So I would suggest you do sim test taking your modem and internet out of the equation.. Can your machine push 700 plus?

iperftest.thumb.png.3dec539871ee180a1e6837605b6c8192.png

And where exactly are you testing too?  Speedtest servers might have a problem with such high upload, etc.

But getting a 10ge nic isn't going to help anything if your 3000 doesn't have 10ge interface - which I highly doubt but have been unable to find actual specs on the devices..  Nor would I think it supports 802.3bz (2.5 and 5gbps modes).  You would think if they are going to put out a device that can do 1.5gbps then the interfaces that connect to it should be able to hand that off to a client ;)

Reminds of of the wifi routers that say they are 300mbps wifi, but then only have 10/100 nics ;)  How and the F anyone going to get 300 if to and from the device is only 100, and wifi to wifi is /2 automatically.

astropheed    2,335

You poor thing. I only pay $99 for my internet bundle and get a blistering 8mbps download and 0.8mbps upload. It's not because it's remote, or there is a problem. Just Australia. I really feel for you paying $140 and only getting 920/470.

I know this isn't a help, and I do hope you fix the "problem", but hopefully it makes you feel a bit better.

• Like 1

+BudMan    3,730
3 minutes ago, astropheed said:

It's not because it's remote, or there is a problem. Just Australia.

heheheeh - just had to laugh... Don't know dude I would say Australia is pretty freaking remote ;) hehehe

But I would think Sydney should be pretty freaking wired.. So yeah 8mbps is pretty slow.. But remember you need to convert the currency... Have to assume he is in CA, so its more like 148 AUD ;) heheheeh

• Like 1

Raa    1,600
1 hour ago, astropheed said:

You poor thing. I only pay $99 <snip>

I was waiting for it! Got the unlucky coin flip in the NBN did you Astro? (Seems like you don't even get NBN actually... Ouch!)

Either way, i'd kill to be able to get over 100Mb/s here. :( (Sorry! :P)

Digitalfox    96
1 hour ago, astropheed said:

You poor thing. I only pay $99 for my internet bundle and get a blistering 8mbps download and 0.8mbps upload. It's not because it's remote, or there is a problem. Just Australia. I really feel for you paying $140 and only getting 920/470.

I know this isn't a help, and I do hope you fix the "problem", but hopefully it makes you feel a bit better.

😛

image.thumb.png.8e646f033879ff4be43d557b0d1ed310.png

Jokes aside, It just took me 15 years on ADSL @ 20Mb/1Mb to get finally fiber where I live 😕

I pay 59€ + 2 SIM each with 10GB monthly.

astropheed    2,335
8 hours ago, Raa said:

I was waiting for it! Got the unlucky coin flip in the NBN did you Astro? (Seems like you don't even get NBN actually... Ouch!)

Either way, i'd kill to be able to get over 100Mb/s here. :( (Sorry! :P)

According to the NBN website I'll get it next month. Which is what it has said every month for the last year. 

• Like 1