• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Restore specific files from Win 7 backup- no admin

SoCalRox    246

A while back, my work Win7 laptop bought the farm. After a nice burial ceremony, I was awarded a nice shiny, new Win10 lappy to replace. The problem is- no admin rights, small SSD. I have some files in the backup I did of the old laptop in a VHD file on the network server. I am trying to find a way to grab specific files off the machinebut no matter what tool I try, it doesn't quite seem to work. WinRAR, 7-zip... whatever, they don't see what is in the VHD, just a single file. 

I'm out of ideas. Remember- no admin rights (we are an insurance organization and do government work, so even for IT people, the security is nuts.) Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get to my backup? My last resort is downloading it but it's big- 260 Gigs. Since our network is slow because of security overhead, that's my last approach.

kryten    11

Can you not get temporary admin rights to mount the file and get what you need from it?  Or have someone that does have admin rights mount it for you?

Jim K    13,046

Can you attach it through Disc Management? (Action > Attach VHD)...maybe not if they have the notebook locked down.

If not, how about PowerISO?

SoCalRox    246

PowerISO cannot grab anything from it either. 

And I cannot get temp admin. I am a telecommuter, and the company that owns my company strictly forbids telecommuters to have admin access. Tech guys can't help because they would have to sit and watch online as I went through everything to find what I wanted- sompething which could take a few hours.

SoCalRox    246

One more thing- the drive was encrypted on the laptop using McAfee's drive encryption. I don't know that the encryption would matter but just in case it does...

Again, this is a Windows backup so backup had full access to the drive.

goretsky    1,031

Hello,

Have you asked your employer to ship you a drive with the file on it via courier/secure deliver mechanism?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

SoCalRox    246

I could probably do that as a last resort. I would simply prefer not to cause a lot of noise for favors.

Thanks, all, for the help!

SoCalRox    246
33 minutes ago, BudMan said:

if its a vhd why would you not just mount it?  That is how you access files off a vhd in windows 10.

Here

https://www.howtogeek.com/125704/how-to-extract-individual-files-from-a-windows-7-system-image-backup/

When I try to mount the drive, it looks for admin rights.

I haven't had to deal with PCs without admin rights before, so this is really just driving me nuts. That's not saying I don't understand why we have those (Our LOB is insurance, and we have certain government accounts as well, so the company has to be very, very careful.)

+BudMan    3,446

Yeah your not going to be able to mount it without admin rights.  Download the file and move it to another system that you have the appropriate rights on.

SoCalRox    246
16 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yeah your not going to be able to mount it without admin rights.  Download the file and move it to another system that you have the appropriate rights on.

That has suddenly become my weekend project. It'll probably take all weekend to download over the VPN.