• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Any home builders on here, advice on new bathroom build out

wv@gt    2,310

Hey guys

Wanted to see if there were any builders or handymen on here. I've helped my parents years ago gut and remodel their home, but I am about to purchase a home for me. Its a 1 bath home with space to build out a master bath out of an existing space. I've got experience doing the framing, electrical, but will get someone to do the plumbing work. 

My main question though, is that the area I am working in, I will be adding 2 non load bearing walls in a room with hardwood floors and plaster and (2) walls / ceilings. 

For the walls and ceilings is it recommended to pull off the plaster completely to do the framing as well as laying green drywall board. Or can I leave on, nail the framing directly to the plaster as well as the drywall

For the flooring, can I tile directly to the hardwood and add sealer, or is it recommended to add cement board before the tile in this case?

Mindovermaster    1,793

I'd ask someone local to help you with this. He can look around, see what works. We have no idea what to work with...

techbeck    6,754

Sorry, first thing that came to mind.  Had to do it.

• Haha 2

+jnelsoninjax    11,700
On 2/5/2019 at 11:00 PM, wv@gt said:

Hey guys

Wanted to see if there were any builders or handymen on here. I've helped my parents years ago gut and remodel their home, but I am about to purchase a home for me. Its a 1 bath home with space to build out a master bath out of an existing space. I've got experience doing the framing, electrical, but will get someone to do the plumbing work. 

My main question though, is that the area I am working in, I will be adding 2 non load bearing walls in a room with hardwood floors and plaster and (2) walls / ceilings. 

For the walls and ceilings is it recommended to pull off the plaster completely to do the framing as well as laying green drywall board. Or can I leave on, nail the framing directly to the plaster as well as the drywall

For the flooring, can I tile directly to the hardwood and add sealer, or is it recommended to add cement board before the tile in this case?

For the walls, if you are already going to add new, you might as well strip them and add the green board (piece of mind if nothing else) for the floor, it would be more advisable to strip them and add the cement board for waterproofing.

• Like 1