Boeing To Help Aerion Develop Supersonic Jet As Lockheed Martin Exits

Boeing To Help Aerion Develop Supersonic Jet As Lockheed Martin Exits

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremybogaisky/2019/02/05/lockheed-martin-out-boeing-in-as-partner-for-aerion-in-developing-supersonic-jet/

960x0.jpg?cropX1=202&cropX2=2025&cropY1=

"The company is developing a 12-passenger jet with a range of 4,200 nautical miles at a cruising speed of Mach 1.4  😱which would cut about three hours off a transatlantic flight." 

Does it come in black? 👹

Was it going to cut into Lock Mart's SR-72 profits? While I have no doubt that they will be able to soften the sonic boom, I don't see this being ecomomical without some sort of propulsion breakthrough like super cruise or SABRE for commercial projects. Drag at supersonic speeds is the same as it was with Concorde decades ago.

15 minutes ago, flyingskippy said:

Was it going to cut into Lock Mart's SR-72 profits? While I have no doubt that they will be able to soften the sonic boom, I don't see this being ecomomical without some sort of propulsion breakthrough like super cruise or SABRE for commercial projects. Drag at supersonic speeds is the same as it was with Concorde decades ago.

Not so much a propulsion breakthrough as aerodynamics. NASA has been developing this for some time, and now it's time for the test pilots.

https://www.livescience.com/62208-nasa-supersonic-jet-quiet-sonic-boom.html

Listen closely: A quiet, supersonic jet capable of blasting through the sound barrier without emitting a sonic boom could pass over your home as soon as 2022. A decade later, you might even be able to ride in one.

>

The X-plane will be about the length of an NBA basketball court, will fit a single pilot and will fly at about 940 mph (1,510 km/h) at an altitude of 55,000 feet (16,800 meters). If all goes according to plan, spectators on the ground should barely be able to hear the plane as it rips through the sound barrier high overhead. (The speed of sound, also known as Mach 1, varies depending on air pressure and temperature but is roughly measured at about 758 mph or 1,220 km/h.)

>

Edited by DocM

It's pretty clear in the concept that they are taking into account the N Wave data from NASA's study. Trying to keep the volume of air displaced along the the length of the airframe the same is key. 

Aerion found the sweet spot at mach 1.4 and GE designing an engine from the ground up for it.

Boom technology on the other hand is using the same engine as was on the 727 just upgraded. Yikes! Hopefully that changes.