Amazon Prime Delivery switch out

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing I have been seeing lately with Amazon Prime.

I signed up for Prime a couple of months ago. I bought a number of items and everything was great. Even though it was not long before Christmas, my free deliveries were getting to me quick as could be. Lately though I have been seeing more and more packages having their delivery time switch out from the time Inget to the site to when I purchase the item.

Example. I recently bought headphones, nice expensive ones. When I first got to the site, it said I would have them in 2 days. After I bought them, it changed to 7 days. It’s not till then that they claim it was a 2-7 day delivery item, even though it’s a Prime eligible item.

Now I know. You will say, things must have changed from the time you got to the page to the time I purchased it. 

‘Okay, today I bought a backpack. It’s Thursday today and the page said I would have it by Saturday, guaranteed. After I bought it, BOOM, suddenly I am getting it by the following Wednesday. Really. The item is in stock. I went back to Amazon in my web browser and looked at the same backpack while not signed in. It says I can get the backpack by Monday. That’s without Prime. Also note that my 7 day delivery was the fastest delivery time offered to me and is listed in my order as “Express” shipping.

anyone else had this issue at all?

I did starting about 2 weeks before Christmas, but I haven't ordered anything recently.  Also, I have noticed that sometimes, it doesn't automatically select FREE 2 day shipping, even though I can select it during checkout.  On the times it changed, I definitely selected 2 day, though.  I just assumed it's a holiday issue, but I have never had this issue before.

Update, to be fair. My backpack has shipped and Amazon has revised its estimate to be Monday now. Still not the 2 day Saturday they said when I first was buying the backpack, but at least it's not Wednesday.

use EBAY....you will never know exact day of delivery....sometimes getting packages in 2 days instead of 12, i am happy

Amazon Prime is supposed  to be free 2-day shipping. However this means 2 days after the item is picked and sent. From my first hand knowledge if you place an order on Sunday, it will most likely not be picked (filled) until the following day, due to the way the orders 'drop' to fulfillment, I do not know 100% how this works (it is a proprietary method, trade secret, whatever you want to call it), but it is my understanding that you generally assume that it will be 3 days from the day you ordered it to delivery. Christmastime is what we call 'peak season' and that is when they hired allot of temps to help, and it was general chaos at times, but I would recommend that you utilize the chat with customer service, or have them call you, even as an amazon associate I find myself having to do this about orders that I have made. 99% chat is the easiest method, and often you end up with something extra, i.e. extension on your prime membership, credits, etc. and always play the hurt customer, I really need this item, etc. I have done that and they have upgraded to next day shipping for free (though with 2 fulfillment centers in our city, and many more > a day away, most items tend to get here quick). And if you are not getting a favorable response from one, try again!

Note: I work for Amazon, but I do not speak for them, all statements, views etc. are mine only, not the companies.

20 hours ago, haddow777 said:

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing I have been seeing lately with Amazon Prime.

I signed up for Prime a couple of months ago. I bought a number of items and everything was great. Even though it was not long before Christmas, my free deliveries were getting to me quick as could be. Lately though I have been seeing more and more packages having their delivery time switch out from the time Inget to the site to when I purchase the item.

Example. I recently bought headphones, nice expensive ones. When I first got to the site, it said I would have them in 2 days. After I bought them, it changed to 7 days. It’s not till then that they claim it was a 2-7 day delivery item, even though it’s a Prime eligible item.

Now I know. You will say, things must have changed from the time you got to the page to the time I purchased it. 

‘Okay, today I bought a backpack. It’s Thursday today and the page said I would have it by Saturday, guaranteed. After I bought it, BOOM, suddenly I am getting it by the following Wednesday. Really. The item is in stock. I went back to Amazon in my web browser and looked at the same backpack while not signed in. It says I can get the backpack by Monday. That’s without Prime. Also note that my 7 day delivery was the fastest delivery time offered to me and is listed in my order as “Express” shipping.

anyone else had this issue at all?

If we're talking about the last week and a half to two weeks it's likely because of the cold weather we've been experiencing. It's causing a lot of issues with trucks getting around which naturally results in delayed shipments.

I see what you guys are saying and thanks for the responses. The major thing in my mind is what I am told when I am looking at a product is differing quite a bit from what I end up with after purchase. When looking at the backpack, it specifically said that if I ordered it in the next 2 hours, it would be delivered by Saturday. It didn’t say if I wanted it delivered anywhere from Saturday to Wednesday. So, if it makes that claim, it should know that I can get it by Saturday despite pick times or weather delays. It sure as heck does 5 minutes later after I paid for it, so why not before I paid for it?

As an extreme example, one that happened to me just a few weeks ago. I bought a Bluetooth mouse. It claimed it would be delivered to me in 2 days. After buying it, I couldn’t even get a delivery estimate for 2 days. Then it tells me that it will be anywhere from 7 days to 1.5 months for delivery. Now you and I may say, well they must have been out of stock, despite it being in stock during the whole purchase process. Someone must have beat me to the last one. Now, that would be fine, if it wasn’t for the fact that I went back to that mouses page over several days after I purchased it and found in in stock every time with 2 day delivery promises attached to it. I finally canceled it and got the same mouse in a different colour 2 days later.

It’s not the delivery speed that is bugging me, it’s the false promises made before I buy it. It’s basically a bait and switch game. If it’s going to take a week due to stock issues or weather delays, say it up front. The starting time quote should match the end time quote. If it doesn’t, I shouldn’t be able to come back while not logged in and see a better delivery time quote 5 minutes after I purchased the product. It’s frustrating and ultimately makes me feel ripped off.

I have received a few orders in the last 2 weeks. Even though I am not a prime member, I still get it rather fast... /shrug

Weather would definitely be a factor.  As @trag3dymentioned.  I think the problem is that Amazon probably CAN'T account for that up front.  The weather system moves through the country and varies day to day, even hour to hour.  So they don't know where the package might get held up.  They probably don't have a system for a carrier to state how long they'll be having issues.

I do get what you're saying and it's always frustrating to me.  Yesterday, it said they tried delivering to my house at 9:20am while I was sitting in my living room, but it stated icy conditions, so then it changed to out to delivery and would be delivered in the afternoon.  It didn't get delivered, lol.

Here is an interesting one. I purchased martial arts gear this weekend and I was due to get it on Sunday. They canceled the order a few hours later and told me I had to re-order if I still wanted it. So I did, from the same supplier and price and still got it the same day I wanted it. 

So weird...

Same happened to me with two orders, next day with Prime, ended up being 3 days later. In The Netherlands, pretty much all online stores deliver next day unless otherwise stated.

This isn't new...Prime has been so inconsistent on the 2 day delivery policy for about 3-4 years. I've started contacting Amazon everytime a delivery is late, and they've been either giving me a free month of Prime, or Amazon GC. Pro-tip: When you place an order for a Prime item, take a screenshot of the confirmation page which follows immediately. This is the only page that will show a 'guaranteed' delivery date (your order history conveniently for amazon won't show it)

Amazon (in the UK anyway) seem to under promise and over deliver.

The "free delivery" option which is advertised as 3-5 working days often turns up next day, even without a prime membership.

Granted in larger countries I’d imagine that’s pretty much impossible to do, so were probably a bit spoiled in that regard reading the comment here.

i recently bought two items on amazon, on a sunday, and it was delivered on monday. Free 1 day shipping was offered on my purchase. 99% of the items i order offer 2 day shipping, so this was an exception. I always get my items in 2 days, unless i buy something on a friday; in that case, it'll be delivered on the 3rd day.

You have to remember that amazon extends Prime to 3rd party companies in some occasions. Those companies may or may not ship from amazon; they could be independent.

also consider where you live. obviously, bigger population centers are going to have better shipping routes. Here in the Cleveland area, we have at least 2 Amazon warehouses, if not more. They are gigantic.

22 hours ago, Jason S. said:

i recently bought two items on amazon, on a sunday, and it was delivered on monday. Free 1 day shipping was offered on my purchase. 99% of the items i order offer 2 day shipping, so this was an exception. I always get my items in 2 days, unless i buy something on a friday; in that case, it'll be delivered on the 3rd day.

You have to remember that amazon extends Prime to 3rd party companies in some occasions. Those companies may or may not ship from amazon; they could be independent.

also consider where you live. obviously, bigger population centers are going to have better shipping routes. Here in the Cleveland area, we have at least 2 Amazon warehouses, if not more. They are gigantic.

This is very true, pay attention when you order the item, it will say Sold by X and fulfilled by Amazon, or it will say Sold and Shipped by Amazon, or sold and shipped by X. Some 3rd parties who sell through Amazon, ship it as well, they just use Amazon as a listing house