• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

RDP Lag on local network

neufuse    3,462

This one is new to me, as this was working perfectly in the past.

Recently I've noticed a lot of compression artifacts (like you get with variable bitrate video, resolution drops, lots of blockyness etc until it fills in the missing pieces), lag, and just general speed issues with RDP. This just started recently, and not sure why.

This is happening on an internal LAN so it's not like the internet is in the way. Both systems are connected via 1GbE links straight back to a single managed switch (Unifi us-24-250w POE switch). RDP has full open ports on 3389 with TCP and UDP. Which having UDP open should make it work a little bit better because of MS using RemoteFX and such via it, I used to be able to play 4K videos via RDP with no issues, no lag, no sound problems etc. Now there is significant lag, sometimes the connection just jams due to the high bit rate of 4K video, etc.

Not sure where to start looking into this one... everything I'd expect to be an issue isn't (firewall, ports, protocols open etc) and the fact this is happening on a LAN is even weirder.

Now, to add to this... if I do the same thing via the internet I get issues only when UDP is enabled, which seems the opposite of what you'd expect. on a remote site with a 50Mbit connection to the system if I connect with UDP there is random drop outs and jamming of the screen when the screen changes dramatically suddenly. If I disable UDP on my firewall on port 3389  and use TCP only this doesn't happen...  that's the complete opposite of the past where TCP caused jamming and lag issues due to the nature of how RDP works over TCP, UDP traffic, RemoteFX etc was MS's fix for that...

ideas?

theefool    6

Any recent OS updates?  What about the Unifi POE switch?  What are the OS's?  Have you bypassed the switch (I.E. direct connect between the devices)?  Just random thoughts. 

neufuse    3,462

The switch auto updates a little bit after they put new firmwares out, OS's are kept up to date with the most recent patches... I'm not seeing this issue on a different network of systems I tested it on, just this one network. All systems are running windows 10 1809 (which is when I started to notice this was after 1809 came out, but not sure if that was the root cause or something else since I don't see this same issue on 1809 on another separate network)

+TrekRich    464

Are you loosing packets if you ping the machine by chance?