RDP Lag on local network

This one is new to me, as this was working perfectly in the past.

Recently I've noticed a lot of compression artifacts (like you get with variable bitrate video, resolution drops, lots of blockyness etc until it fills in the missing pieces), lag, and just general speed issues with RDP. This just started recently, and not sure why.

This is happening on an internal LAN so it's not like the internet is in the way. Both systems are connected via 1GbE links straight back to a single managed switch (Unifi us-24-250w POE switch). RDP has full open ports on 3389 with TCP and UDP. Which having UDP open should make it work a little bit better because of MS using RemoteFX and such via it, I used to be able to play 4K videos via RDP with no issues, no lag, no sound problems etc. Now there is significant lag, sometimes the connection just jams due to the high bit rate of 4K video, etc.

Not sure where to start looking into this one... everything I'd expect to be an issue isn't (firewall, ports, protocols open etc) and the fact this is happening on a LAN is even weirder.

Now, to add to this... if I do the same thing via the internet I get issues only when UDP is enabled, which seems the opposite of what you'd expect. on a remote site with a 50Mbit connection to the system if I connect with UDP there is random drop outs and jamming of the screen when the screen changes dramatically suddenly. If I disable UDP on my firewall on port 3389  and use TCP only this doesn't happen...  that's the complete opposite of the past where TCP caused jamming and lag issues due to the nature of how RDP works over TCP, UDP traffic, RemoteFX etc was MS's fix for that...

ideas?

Any recent OS updates?  What about the Unifi POE switch?  What are the OS's?  Have you bypassed the switch (I.E. direct connect between the devices)?  Just random thoughts. 

The switch auto updates a little bit after they put new firmwares out, OS's are kept up to date with the most recent patches... I'm not seeing this issue on a different network of systems I tested it on, just this one network. All systems are running windows 10 1809 (which is when I started to notice this was after 1809 came out, but not sure if that was the root cause or something else since I don't see this same issue on 1809 on another separate network)

On 2/15/2019 at 6:39 PM, TrekRich said:

Are you loosing packets if you ping the machine by chance?

I don't appear to be, and the switch at least isn't seeing any packet loss.. TX Error 0 RX Error 0 Packet Loss 0%

I noticed yesterday that when I RDP into my work system over a VPN connection to work from a system that sees this problem with the UDP stream that I do NOT have the problem from the work system via the VPN connection.

UDP streams work fine and no shuddering or jamming or reduced image quality. Now it's very odd that a low speed (50Mbit) VPN connection to work works perfectly but a 1Gbps connection between two systems on the same switch has issues

• 2 weeks later...

I had a USG that refused to do full speed on my 1gig connection, after googling and googling their support forums I found enough tweaks to get about 740-800 down on a consistent basis.

When I stopped using it an went back to pfsense, I was getting my usual 940mbit down. Never could figure out what the problem was. Some people reported the same things, while others never had an issue. Performance also varied widely on different software revisions.

I've gone back to only having Unifi Access Points and that's it, don't trust any of their other products to perform consistently. Whenever the next wifi revision enters mainstream, I'll be hard pressed to continue using them. It's also annoying how their controller STILL doesn't support Ubuntu 18.04 out of the box, without tweaking 18.04 repos to use an older version of mongodb. They're slipping a bit.

5 hours ago, shockz said:

I had a USG that refused to do full speed on my 1gig connection, after googling and googling their support forums I found enough tweaks to get about 740-800 down on a consistent basis.

When I stopped using it an went back to pfsense, I was getting my usual 940mbit down. Never could figure out what the problem was. Some people reported the same things, while others never had an issue. Performance also varied widely on different software revisions.

I've gone back to only having Unifi Access Points and that's it, don't trust any of their other products to perform consistently. Whenever the next wifi revision enters mainstream, I'll be hard pressed to continue using them. It's also annoying how their controller STILL doesn't support Ubuntu 18.04 out of the box, without tweaking 18.04 repos to use an older version of mongodb. They're slipping a bit.

I am one of those people who has never had trouble getting full gig from a USG. 

5 hours ago, shockz said:

Yeah I never went to the USG, not feature complete or fast enough... I have higher end versions of Microtik Cloud core routers with fiber... only things I have UBNT wise are AP's a controller and a switch

• 1 month later...

looks like MS has a UDP issue, lots of people complaining about this and another RDP session goes black issue

disabling UDP on the RDP session is the temp fix:... ugh so much for stuff like RemoteFX working smoothly which uses UDP

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/b1t5hi/rdpremote_desktop_protocol_microsoft_1809_issue/eip23ts/

3 minutes ago, neufuse said:

looks like MS has a UDP issue, lots of people complaining about this and another RDP session goes black issue

disabling UDP on the RDP session is the temp fix:... ugh so much for stuff like RemoteFX working smoothly which uses UDP

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/b1t5hi/rdpremote_desktop_protocol_microsoft_1809_issue/eip23ts/

Wonder what triggers it? I’ve not seen any rdp issues at all with 1809, both at home and at work. 

31 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Wonder what triggers it? I’ve not seen any rdp issues at all with 1809, both at home and at work. 

not sure, I seem to have it consistently... and since the past month now have the black screen every time I minimize for a minute or more then open it back up

19 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

the new Spring update has been pushed to the release preview ring; you could try updating a couple towers to see if the issue persists or has been fixed in the new build :)

https://www.neowin.net/news/the-windows-10-may-2019-update-rtm-build-is-now-available-in-the-release-preview-ring

I had it installed and unfortunately still see the issues in the latest build.. I don't know what they "fixed" in the march patches but all ti seemed to do is make the issue worse

Edited by neufuse

1 hour ago, neufuse said:

not sure, I seem to have it consistently... and since the past month now have the black screen every time I minimize for a minute or more then open it back up

I had it installed and unfortunately still see the issues in the latest build.. I don't know what they "fixed" in the march patches but all ti seemed to do is make the issue worse

You don’t use Zoho Assist do you? I have a co-worker that had hell with rdp reliably working on 1809 and removing Zoho Assist fixed it. 

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

You don’t use Zoho Assist do you? I have a co-worker that had hell with rdp reliably working on 1809 and removing Zoho Assist fixed it. 

no this is just plain old RDP but we see a similar issue with RDP gateway servers also