• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Which heat gun in this listing can melt solder or that glue on TV ribbon cables?

Izlude    96

https://www.homedepot.com/s/heat%2520gun?NCNI-5

Here's a listing from home depot. Some are $20, others $100+   Doing some home projects and need to melt solder and also the glue on ribbon cables.  Some TVs from the junk show lines, but when pressing on the contacts, the lines go away.  I've used a hand iron in the past, works wonders, but not practical.  Hoping a heat gun (and my trusty pallet knife to press the cables down while they're hot) helps it get a better contact.  Or worst case scenario, strip the glue from the ribbons, apply some solder to the leads and then heat gun them down allowing the solder to melt and sit flush on the panel's contacts.

Astra.Xtreme    2,664

Solder used in electronics usually has a melting point around 220C (430F).  Also consider that the circuit board may have conformal coating applied, which will shield the solder.

Personally I think it's a bad idea to use a heat gun since you'll expose other electrical components to that heat and heat is the primary means of fatigue and failure on electronics.  You may fix the solder issue, but cause something else to fail.  Just use a soldering iron.

• Like 1

Izlude    96

Not too worried about stressing them, these are TVs from 2009.  Some just need a bit of melting to get back on track.  There doesn't seem to be any components near the ribbons (drivers), so not too worried about frying anything. The heat gun sounds like it's the best way to go instead of a hand iron, especially since these came outta the junk pile.  So you think any cheap gun would work?  $19 one?