forced shutdown due to game crashing PC ... no longer can boot PC...

Game crashed and locked up my CPU and GPU.  Task Manager would get locked up.  Wouldn't respond to shutdown / restart.  I decided to force it to shut down.  Since then, PC no longer POST. PC turns on but initially could not see POST.   Tried...

1)  Tried removing all RAM and trying each

2)  Tried plugging in another SSD - does not help

3)  Tried removing CMOS battery - this did seem to help.  I was able to finally get into BIOS.  Noticed I didn't install one of the sticks properly so shut off pc to try again...

Since #3, I now just see the ASUS logo with a message about pressing DEL or F2 to get into BIOS. No error message is shown.  I cannot get into BIOS as well.  The PC does not respond to either key press.  CTRL-ALT-DELETE does work but I end up on the same logo screen.

Anyone know what could be the issue?  I don't understand why I now can't get back into the BIOS.

Sorry to be clear - this is not a new PC.  Over 6 years old.  Motherboard was released in 2012.

So with that - fans are spinning.  I'm just stuck at the logo screen and cannot enter bios.

I think you RAM is going out. As you said, one RAM stick was out and it worked.

Try getting into BIOS with 1 stick. If just one is bad, that will be your answer.

2 hours ago, AndyD said:

Game crashed and locked up my CPU and GPU.  Task Manager would get locked up.  Wouldn't respond to shutdown / restart.  I decided to force it to shut down.  Since then, PC no longer POST. PC turns on but initially could not see POST.   Tried...

1)  Tried removing all RAM and trying each

2)  Tried plugging in another SSD - does not help

3)  Tried removing CMOS battery - this did seem to help.  I was able to finally get into BIOS.  Noticed I didn't install one of the sticks properly so shut off pc to try again...

Since #3, I now just see the ASUS logo with a message about pressing DEL or F2 to get into BIOS. No error message is shown.  I cannot get into BIOS as well.  The PC does not respond to either key press.  CTRL-ALT-DELETE does work but I end up on the same logo screen.

Anyone know what could be the issue?  I don't understand why I now can't get back into the BIOS.

Working PC for 6 years.

Please provide complete specs.

Has anything at all changed recently?

Now, you also have to consider as an additional complication to a diagnostics tree, that you have made things worse by electrical damage related to a a partially seated DRAM module.

With almost zero information here, the most likely "out of the blue" reason for this happening is POWER CIRCUITS. At 6 years you have the possibility of BAD CAPS in the main PSU, and BAD CAPS on the motherboard which can be in three areas:

1. Power circuits for the CPU chip which are massive and fail most often.

2. Power circuits for the DRAM sockets

3. Power circuits for the Chipset.

and 

4. BAD CAPS int the main power supply

STEP 1: Provice complete specs here.

STEP 2: Eyeball all 4 areas with a magnifying glass for anything odd about caps, although these days there is often zero physical evidence.

STEP 3: borrow a PSU form somewhere to test 

Do all tests while leaving the DRAM socket you half-filled EMPTY to eliminate that variable. Once everything is working you can test that issue.

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think you RAM is going out. As you said, one RAM stick was out and it worked.

Try getting into BIOS with 1 stick. If just one is bad, that will be your answer.

I don't think so. I had the same issue removing and adding it back.  I was able to get it booted up with the RAM stick in and then noticed that I disconnected one of my hard drives  when swapping ssds. After shutting off the PC, I have been unable to boot back in regardless of how many times I remove CMOS battery / unplug power.  I see the same logo screen and can't enter bios

1 hour ago, DentedAphid7 said:

Hmm. That could be ram.

Don't mind posting specs? Is it an Intel i series CPU?

It's a haswell 4770K

16GB RAM

PC has been working for the most part but i've had similar boot issues in the past where I ended up having to replace the CMOS battery.  My guess is the motherboard just crapped out but I don't know

32 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Working PC for 6 years.

Please provide complete specs.

Has anything at all changed recently?

Now, you also have to consider as an additional complication to a diagnostics tree, that you have made things worse by electrical damage related to a a partially seated DRAM module.

With almost zero information here, the most likely "out of the blue" reason for this happening is POWER CIRCUITS. At 6 years you have the possibility of BAD CAPS in the main PSU, and BAD CAPS on the motherboard which can be in three areas:

1. Power circuits for the CPU chip which are massive and fail most often.

2. Power circuits for the DRAM sockets

3. Power circuits for the Chipset.

and 

4. BAD CAPS int the main power supply

STEP 1: Provice complete specs here.

STEP 2: Eyeball all 4 areas with a magnifying glass for anything odd about caps, although these days there is often zero physical evidence.

STEP 3: borrow a PSU form somewhere to test 

Do all tests while leaving the DRAM socket you half-filled EMPTY to eliminate that variable. Once everything is working you can test that issue.

The PSU is less than 2 years old.  I had trouble with sleep where the pc would crash and power off during sleep.  This plagued my pc for a while and I asked for help on here.  Some thought it could be the PSU.  I swapped the PSU.  It did not help.  Sleep starting working a year later when I accidentally left enabled on a fresh install of windows. While I haven't' been using it in months, it was working perfectly then.  I assumed a Windows update fixed it

As for any changes, none at all.  I have not touched this computer in any way besides swapping the PSU as mentioned.  I don't want to upgrade for now and keep hoping it doesn't die.

Well, like I mentioned above as well, I swapped out the CMOS battery because I kept having issues where my BIOS would be wiped out after shutting down

While I hear you about the RAM, I have made the same mistake many times :)  I'm sure there is a chance it may cause some issue but I don't think that's the case here.  Like I mentioned above, I was able to boot with the RAM - it's only after shutting down to reconnect a drive that I can't boot back up again. I had the same booting problem without the RAM too.

I've had capacitors on motherboards sort of open up on me that was a PC from like 12 years ago. From looking at it, I don't see any problems.

I keep trying to remove / add back the CMOS battery and turn on PC after some time in hopes that I will get beyond the logo and actually enter the bios.

Edited by AndyD

Also your main boot drive should set first. If you have not already done so?

Well, if is the motherboard, it won't show anything I guess.

Did it show just black screen or error?

Also try live booting linux to see if at least your hardware works and detects it.

The attached is what I see.  The only keys that will do anything is ctrl-alt-delete.   f2, del, f8 do not do anything.  boot drive isn't an issue.  I thought ssd died but it didn't.  I swapped out it to see if it would go any further when I didn't even get the below but it made no difference.  I also was able to get into Windows during one of the CMOS clears / start ups.  I just haven't been able to since then after shutting down again to re attach a hard drive

IMG_20190210_183212.jpg

2 minutes ago, AndyD said:

The attached is what I see.  The only keys that will do anything is ctrl-alt-delete.   f2, del, f8 do not do anything

IMG_20190210_183212.jpg

Is your keyboard have an FN key? Or a key which disables the function keys?

4 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Is your keyboard have an FN key? Or a key which disables the function keys?

Sure but that would not apply to the delete button.  To be sure, though, I turned on pc and tried using the FN button as well with the function keys and didn't help

Just now, AndyD said:

Sure but that would not apply to the delete button.  To be sure, though, I turned on pc and tried using the FN button as well with the function keys and didn't help

interesting delete doesn't work by itself but does in combination. Had a computer recently that when restarting via control+alt+delete in the bios would just go to a black screen. After a firmware update, everything started working. Like +DevTech suggested if it is a bad cap, all sorts of weird things will happen. Try turning off the PC, unplugging it and holding the power button down for 10 seconds. Then plug it back in and try it.

6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

interesting delete doesn't work by itself but does in combination. Had a computer recently that when restarting via control+alt+delete in the bios would just go to a black screen. After a firmware update, everything started working. Like +DevTech suggested if it is a bad cap, all sorts of weird things will happen. Try turning off the PC, unplugging it and holding the power button down for 10 seconds. Then plug it back in and try it.

Yeah, don't get why the keys aren't being registered. Old motherboard and has the latest bios flashed. Unfortunately, can't even try reflashing the bios since no way of doing so.

I don't think its the PSU but I would not be surprised if its the motherboard given the issues I've experienced in the last few years. Worse Asus motherboard I've ever owned

I keep unplugging it and removing the CMOS in hopes that I get back into the BIOS like I did the other two times.  Unfortunately, it has not worked in the last 6 times I've tried with 15-30 min gaps.  I'm going to leave it alone till tomorrow and hope it boots up in the morning.

I'll try the power button thing in the morning when I try booting up again.

4 minutes ago, AndyD said:

Yeah, don't get why the keys aren't being registered. Old motherboard and has the latest bios flashed. Unfortunately, can't even try reflashing the bios since no way of doing so.

I don't think its the PSU but I would not be surprised if its the motherboard given the issues I've experienced in the last few years. Worse Asus motherboard I've ever owned

I keep unplugging it and removing the CMOS in hopes that I get back into the BIOS like I did the other two times.  Unfortunately, it has not worked in the last 6 times I've tried with 15-30 min gaps.  I'm going to leave it alone till tomorrow and hope it boots up in the morning.

I'll try the power button thing in the morning when I try booting up again.

Just because something is "Newish" (within the last 2 years) doesn't mean it isn't bad.

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Just because something is "Newish" (within the last 2 years) doesn't mean it isn't bad.

This is true but given the fact that I've had already issues with the motherboard with sleep and usb ports dying, I'm inclined to put the blame on the motherboard. but yeah, no idea what really is the issue so it could be the psu.

But would I see a screen and be prevented from entering the bios if it was the psu? I'm just thinking if it was the psu I wouldn't see anything or the pc would shut down. Of course, I don't know for sure but wondering.

2 minutes ago, AndyD said:

This is true but given the fact that I've had already issues with the motherboard with sleep and usb ports dying, I'm inclined to put the blame on the motherboard. but yeah, no idea what really is the issue so it could be the psu.

But would I see a screen and be prevented from entering the bios if it was the psu? I'm just thinking if it was the psu I wouldn't see anything or the pc would shut down. Of course, I don't know for sure but wondering.

1. Again, please provide complete specs. At a minimum, motherboard brand and model number, PSU brand and model number, GPU brand and model number, RAM brand and model number, BIOS version, type of keyboard - USB or PS/2 etc

2. If you get the ASUS logo, you are "IN" the BIOS. i.e. your computer has booted which is an important distinction.

3. Try both types of keyboard - USB and PS/2

4. It will always take the three key combo when stuck in that screen right?

5. Unplug all USB devices of any sort including internal connectors on motherboard like card reader etc.

6. unplug all RAM except 1 stick.

7. Remove GPU and use the on-board video output

The diagnostic process so far has been horrible!

You said computer was not booting but in fact it is booting and is locked somehow in the BIOS logo screen, a COMPLETELY different problem area.

If it reliably gets to that point every time, then we can eliminate power issues for now.

We have instead some sort of CONFLICT issue or some component that is not functional.

2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

1. Again, please provide complete specs. At a minimum, motherboard brand and model number, PSU brand and model number, GPU brand and model number, RAM brand and model number, BIOS version, type of keyboard - USB or PS/2 etc

asus p8z68 motherboard

Intel haswell 4770k

evga 1080

evga 750 p2 supernova psu

gskill 16gb ram

2. If you get the ASUS logo, you are "IN" the BIOS. i.e. your computer has booted which is an important distinction.

Yeah but what would prevent me from entering? 

3. Try both types of keyboard - USB and PS/2

ps/2 not possible.  I did try a wireless keyboard i have sitting around but it's not the keys.  i can reboot the pc with ctrl-alt-delete.  delete will not get me into the bios

4. It will always take the three key combo when stuck in that screen right?

Without fail

5. Unplug all USB devices of any sort including internal connectors on motherboard like card reader etc.

this is a bit involved so can't try this till probably next weekend.

6. unplug all RAM except 1 stick.

did this.  does not help unfortunately

7. Remove GPU and use the on-board video output

tried onboard gpu via HDMI.  did not work.

3 minutes ago, DevTech said:

The diagnostic process so far has been horrible!

You said computer was not booting but in fact it is booting and is locked somehow in the BIOS logo screen, a COMPLETELY different problem area.

If it reliably gets to that point every time, then we can eliminate power issues for now.

We have instead some sort of CONFLICT issue or some component that is not functional.

Did you read my first post?  I mentioned in #3 that I was able to get the pc to boot ... that was one out of two times out of over 15 times now.  I have tried removing ram sticks, booting off of another ssd, resetting bios 

What other steps beyond ps/2 and removing all usb components have i not done that would qualify as horrible?  I didn't list out specs but beyond that?  I appreciate the advice but I have tried many of the obvious steps.

Also, realize that I'm working on this as I post so yeah me finding out that I can get it to boot the second time is during the other 14 other boots it didn't. I'm not just waiting for help :)

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

you mean same screen or no video at all?

no screen.  I didnt see anything till I reset the bios but before resetting the bios I tried onboard DVI and HDMI.  Both just showed a black screen

1 minute ago, AndyD said:

Did you read my first post?  I mentioned in #3 that I was able to get the pc to boot ... that was one out of two times out of over 15 times now.  I have tried removing ram sticks, booting off of another ssd, resetting bios 

What other steps beyond ps/2 and removing all usb components have i not done that would qualify as horrible?  I didn't list out specs but beyond that?  I appreciate the advice but I have tried many of the obvious steps.

Also, realize that I'm working on this as I post so yeah me finding out that I can get it to boot the second time is during the other 14 other boots it didn't. I'm not just waiting for help :)

Yes, I has just read the first post again and your description was not in fact "horrible" but it was the subsequent process I was commenting on where some of the first responses were close to idiotic from various people and the focus shifted to the wrong issues.. 

Just now, AndyD said:

no screen.  I didnt see anything till I reset the bios but before resetting the bios I tried onboard DVI and HDMI.  Both just showed a black screen

Are you using the on-board jumpers to reset the CMOS - i.e. not remove the battery - important to use the jumpers

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

Yes, I has just read the first post again and your description was not in fact "horrible" but it was the subsequent process I was commenting on where some of the first responses were close to idiotic from various people and the focus shifted to the wrong issues.. 

I appreciate the help either way. I just want the thing to boot up again and not worry about building a new pc for now

The lack of video from the on-board GPU is a clue.

With the video card removed it should default to that output unless there is a BIOS override. 

But any BIOS override you set, should have been cleared with the CMOS clear.