• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

slave drive mbr or gpt ?

AlexKrycek    1

Ive been having issues with my ssd and sometimes cant boot into windows..

I swapped it out for an old mechanical hdd which couldnt boot to windows, instead of installing windows I decided to change back to the ssd..
Im now at windows but, my slave drive is 'Not Initialised' within disk manager..

"You must initialise a disk before logical disk manager can access it
use the following partition style for the selected disk
MBR (Master Boot Record)
GPT (GUID Partition Table)"

Which do I use to display the drive as a slave

When my bios didnt recognise the ssd I chose to use default settings and tried other settings on the bios hoping it would read the ssd, could this have caused the slave to need initialised ?

Thanks for any help...

Jason S.    1,430

did the install of Windows on the SSD know about the drive before this?

is there already data on the mechanical drive? If youre sure you want to format it, then use GPT.

AlexKrycek    1

Yes my setup before was SSD Windows 10 pro and a few games

Slave drive 1tb hdd with lots of games and ect ect

Ive been having problems with the drive, I think it might be going bad.. today the mobo either wouldnt recognise it or it would, either way it wouldbt boot

So i tried my old mechanical drive but there was a cant initiate master boot blue screen, i cant remember the message

Instead of installing fresh onto the hard drive I put the ssd back in

So now my system is as its been for a while but the slave drive needs intialising

AlexKrycek    1

Hi

Would choosing MBR read the slave as boot drive ?

You said GPT would format it ? I want to keep everything on it.. so I choose MBR ?

But if MBR is master boot , would that cause a problem because the ssd has windows 10 installed...

AlexKrycek    1

I hit OK on GPT to see if windows would recognise the drive but I got an error popup stating...

Virtual Disk Manager

The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks

AlexKrycek    1

So, the only option is MBR, will this confuse windows into thinking its a boot drive and cause boot problems ?

Barney T.    2,307

It would be a good idea to let someone respond before posting so soon again. Posting multiple times makes your question only more confusing.

AlexKrycek    1

No problem, thanks.

• Like 1

+DevTech    1,373
5 hours ago, Barney T. said:

It would be a good idea to let someone respond before posting so soon again. Posting multiple times makes your question only more confusing.

Although chaotic, each post added to the narrative and provided more information. Ideally we all like good information nicely presented. The tech level here seems to suggest he is doing his best...

7 hours ago, AlexKrycek said:

Ive been having issues with my ssd and sometimes cant boot into windows..

I swapped it out for an old mechanical hdd which couldnt boot to windows, instead of installing windows I decided to change back to the ssd..
Im now at windows but, my slave drive is 'Not Initialised' within disk manager..

"You must initialise a disk before logical disk manager can access it
use the following partition style for the selected disk
MBR (Master Boot Record)
GPT (GUID Partition Table)"

Which do I use to display the drive as a slave

When my bios didnt recognise the ssd I chose to use default settings and tried other settings on the bios hoping it would read the ssd, could this have caused the slave to need initialised ?

Thanks for any help...

It would be advantageous for you to provide complete specs:

CPU, motherboard, RAM, GPU, SSD, HD and O/S version.

+DevTech    1,373

The boot drive will be set in the BIOS.

When you unplug drives, the BIOS will re-assign the Boot Priority Order and when you add a drive back in, this will happen again.

So when it comes to which drive is boot and which has the O/S, you need to enter BIOS and check this stuff EVERY TIME you add or remove a drive or plug it into a different SATA connector etc.

+DevTech    1,373

You can use disk management to see what partitions have been installed on each drive and for Windows 10, there will be a 350 meg "Sysytem" partition to boot the O/S.

There will also be a MBR record that points to that 350 meg partition and that partition could be set to boot the O/S from a different drive.

So with enough drive swaps and not paying attention to all of this, you can end up with quite a ping-pong from one drive to the other...

+DevTech    1,373

Please note that the words "master" and "slave" have not been used in drive terminology for a long long time. 

It does not apply to SATA drives, at least at a user level.

AlexKrycek    1

Hi, thanks for the replies..

It isnt good news I think..

I cant initialise the disk with mbr or gpt..

Easeus partition magic and samsung magician doesnt see the disk, neither does my bios

HD Tune sees a second drive other than my main ssd, but it reads it as 2199GB in size but doesnt give any other readings on it..

Weird thing is that if I right click unknown device in device manager it says its working properly and that the driver is up to date, but when I hit populate it doesnt show any info..

Also, when I was on the comp yesterday for a short time, the disk actually showed and was working normally, I even played a game that was stored on it..

But today the problem returned..

It was probably on its last legs yesterday and looks like its fully gone now..

AlexKrycek    1

Specs btw

W10 Pro

I7 4770K

Asus 7970 top edition.

16gb ddr

z87 motherboard

samsung evo 850 250gb ssd

and the faulty mechanical 1tb hdd

+DevTech    1,373
1 hour ago, AlexKrycek said:

Specs btw

W10 Pro

I7 4770K

Asus 7970 top edition.

16gb ddr

z87 motherboard

samsung evo 850 250gb ssd

and the faulty mechanical 1tb hdd

so what is brand and model number of hd?

AlexKrycek    1

Hi, thanks for the reply..

The disk was a Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

+DevTech    1,373
3 minutes ago, AlexKrycek said:

Hi, thanks for the reply..

The disk was a Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Ok so download the utility "SeaTools" from the Seagate support area.

It will analyze the drive for you.

Nothing will work if the BIOS does not detect it at boot so make sure the power and SATA cables are plugged in firmly - maybe replace the SATA cable with a spare one just to be sure.

Also make sure the SATA connection on the motherboard is one of the main ones coming from the Intel chipset and not a 3rd party one ASUS added for extra features etc.

AlexKrycek    1

Hi , I used search and I already have it installed...

Ive just ran it , but it only reads the samsung evo ssd.

About 10 mins ago I opened the desktop and reseated the cables just in case, but no luck showing though.

EDIT, I'll look too see if I have another cable, if not I'll order one, thanks.

+DevTech    1,373
17 minutes ago, AlexKrycek said:

Hi , I used search and I already have it installed...

Ive just ran it , but it only reads the samsung evo ssd.

About 10 mins ago I opened the desktop and reseated the cables just in case, but no luck showing though.

EDIT, I'll look too see if I have another cable, if not I'll order one, thanks.

One way to test the cable if you don't have a known good spare is just to swap the cables since you know the SSD cable is good.

Also double check the drive "boot order" area in the BIOS to make sure that some glitch didn't disable the other drives in that menu.

+BudMan    3,306
On 2/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, AlexKrycek said:

my slave drive

So these are PATA connections?  SATA has no concept of slave drive..

Matthew S.    596

I doubt it's PATA @BudManas he's using an SSD... don't recall ever seeing PATA SSD's...

Mindovermaster    1,644
19 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

I doubt it's PATA @BudManas he's using an SSD... don't recall ever seeing PATA SSD's...

I think there are actually PATA SHDDs. If I'm wrong, shoot me...

+DevTech    1,373
3 hours ago, BudMan said:

So these are PATA connections?  SATA has no concept of slave drive..

2 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think there are actually PATA SHDDs. If I'm wrong, shoot me...

Read the thread guys! :)

"The disk was a Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

That's SATA.

He has also stated the boot disk is a Samsung 850 SSD

I already told him the the use of "slave" was archaic - he was using the word to just mean "second drive"

• Like 1

ThaCrip    504
10 hours ago, AlexKrycek said:

It was probably on its last legs yesterday and looks like its fully gone now..

It's probably on it's way out as if a BIOS can't even see it chances are the SSD is dying/dead. I would say that's generally a red flag issue if that starts happening as assuming the SATA cable is not faulty, which I imagine you already tested(you could even try another drive in that same SATA port/cable and see if that's recognized just to confirm the motherboard/SATA cable is good), it's time to replace the SSD most likely.

the only question remains... is the SSD still under warranty?

p.s. I got a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB and mine is still working fine and is under warranty til May 2020 as you get a 5 year warranty with Samsung 850 Evo's.

+DevTech    1,373
31 minutes ago, ThaCrip said:

It's probably on it's way out as if a BIOS can't even see it chances are the SSD is dying/dead. I would say that's generally a red flag issue if that starts happening as assuming the SATA cable is not faulty, which I imagine you already tested(you could even try another drive in that same SATA port/cable and see if that's recognized just to confirm the motherboard/SATA cable is good), it's time to replace the SSD most likely.

the only question remains... is the SSD still under warranty?

p.s. I got a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB and mine is still working fine and is under warranty til May 2020 as you get a 5 year warranty with Samsung 850 Evo's.

Is this thread completely challenging EVERYONE's READING COMPREHENSION?

Read my previous post and join the list of candidates for the new "Craziest Thread Ever for No Good Reason" annual award ceremony, to be broadcast right after the Academy Awards on a TV station near you...

(just in case: Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5)

• Facepalm 1