• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Recover data from NAS

Question

Pedro3    5

Hello…

I need to try to recover data from a NAS, since I can't do that using a software with the NAS on the network, can I remove the HDD from the NAS and connect to a computer using a USB external Hard Drive connection?

Thank you!

Pedro3    5
5 hours ago, BudMan said:

And TURN ON NRB!!! So your idiot friend doesn't delete other stuff she needs next week.

Curious why SMB and AFP enabled - so does this person have PC or Mac?  Why is time machine not being leveraged if Mac?  So no recycle in, no backups?

Did they delete like all their files... Only 8% being used?  Did they just get this thing last week or something?

I know that you're going to rip your hair, but she noticed the missing files back in December! But only told me last week!

My friend mostly uses a Mac. She uses Time Machine but only for her Mac, not the NAS. Yes, no Backups! Few months ago I told her about it, but, you know, "probably nothing will happen to me".

I think around 500GB were deleted.

+BudMan    3,551

So she deleted them last year and just now brings up - Why are you wasting time on this?  They are gone!  Turn on NRB for her so if she does it again its easy to recover.. Not like she doesn't have space to use..

And if she has a Mac, then enable time machine would  allow her machine to back it self up to the NAS..... So where does she back up her mac to if not her nas?

Pedro3    5
11 hours ago, Xahid said:

Its Raid-1, you have 1 disk redundancy,

But we are talking about Accidental delete, since your Hardware looks OK

Edit:

You can take the disk out of NAS and plug it into your computer and Run any Free Recovery Program to retrieve the data, if its hard for you, than call your any tech. friend?

Goona try this on Monday! Thanks.

31 minutes ago, BudMan said:

So she deleted them last year and just now brings up - Why are you wasting time on this?  They are gone!  Turn on NRB for her so if she does it again its easy to recover.. Not like she doesn't have space to use..

And if she has a Mac, then enable time machine would  allow her machine to back it self up to the NAS..... So where does she back up her mac to if not her nas?

At least I'm gonna try, I pitty her.

+Human.Online    8,595

I think she has more to be gained from the learning experience of losing them rather than having them safely returned so she can do it again.

Your last option here is to rip out the drive, connect it locally and try Recuva.

I applaud you for trying, but when you’re not able to get them back, simply say that and don’t start it with “I’m sorry but...”

+warwagon    13,203
6 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I think she has more to be gained from the learning experience of losing them rather than having them safely returned so she can do it again.

Your last option here is to rip out the drive, connect it locally and try Recuva.

I applaud you for trying, but when you’re not able to get them back, simply say that and don’t start it with “I’m sorry but...”

I have never had any success with Recuva. I've had far more success with other solutions such as "Active file recovery".

• Like 1

+BudMan    3,551

Here is the thing if the files were deleted months ago... It quite possible they now gone because the place on the disk where they were has been overwritten.. But clearly she is not actually even using this nas.. So you might get lucky..

Good luck... What I would do is make sure you have a backup of everything that is currently on the nas, before you go pulling disks out and trying to recover data...

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,595
2 hours ago, warwagon said:

I have never had any success with Recuva. I've had far more success with other solutions such as "Active file recovery".

Mileage varies I guess, I have had a lot of success.

Pedro3    5

Now (acording to the manual) it's doing "RAID synchronization; software update" (LEDs Alternating red and white), but, for 2 days???

Is this normal?

+BudMan    3,551

So did you recover the data?  Did you take a backup as I stated before you pulled the drive?

Pedro3    5

I was going to do a backup and the LEDs started blinking! I'm waiting for almost two days and they continue to blink! Is there something I can do or I just have to keep waiting? I can't even access the NAS.

dipsylalapo    1,804

Your answer is here

The RAID scrubbing will resynchronise the data and parity blocks across the entire RAID array. This involves reading all blocks from every RAID stripe, then repairing any blocks which were unreadable or inconsistent. In this sense, it is effectively similar to doing a bad blocks scan on all disks in the array. Therefore, if any of the disks do have bad blocks, they will be guaranteed to show up during the data scrubbing. 

My interpretation is that it's doing some checking and correcting on your RAID. If you have a large amount of data, I guess this could take a while. 

+BudMan    3,551

So you haven't even pulled the drive yet?

You can not access it?  Doesn't matter what its doing with the array, you should still be able to access the OS..

Pedro3    5
4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

So you haven't even pulled the drive yet?

You can not access it?  Doesn't matter what its doing with the array, you should still be able to access the OS..

Before pulling the drive out I wanted to do a backup first, but I'm stuck in the red lights.

I cannot access it, it show in the network, but can't access it.

+BudMan    3,551

Lets be clear on what you can not access.. You can not access the file share, or you can not access the NAS OS web gui to manage it?

Pedro3    5
19 hours ago, BudMan said:

Lets be clear on what you can not access.. You can not access the file share, or you can not access the NAS OS web gui to manage it?

Tried in another computer and now I can access the drive! I'm backing up all the files and after that I'll plug the drive to the computer and use a software to try to recover the lost data. I'll keep informing about the progress. Thanks for all the help so far.

+BudMan    3,551

Still didn't answer the question.. Could you not access the share only or both the share and the web gui OS interface of the nas?

Ixion    6
5 hours ago, Pedro3 said:

Tried in another computer and now I can access the drive! I'm backing up all the files and after that I'll plug the drive to the computer and use a software to try to recover the lost data. I'll keep informing about the progress. Thanks for all the help so far.

If it's anything like any other NAS I've used in the past the disk is likely to be formatted using a Linux file system such as EXT4, so you'll probably want to use something like a Gparted bootable liveCD/USB stick to access the drive rather than expecting Windows to understand the file system. Having said that the last recovery I attempted was from a Synology NAS and even for RAID 1 it used Synology Hybrid RAID where it was much simpler to just buy a new enclosure than recover attached to a PC!

Mindovermaster    2,495

nvm...

Pedro3    5
17 hours ago, BudMan said:

Still didn't answer the question.. Could you not access the share only or both the share and the web gui OS interface of the nas?

I tried just to access the share and I wasn't able to do it using my main computer, but with another one I can.

+BudMan    3,551

So didn't even try to access the OS... <rolleyes>

So any luck yet?

Pedro3    5
4 hours ago, BudMan said:

So didn't even try to access the OS... <rolleyes>

So any luck yet?

😅

I've connected the first hard drive to my laptop (with an USB enclosure) but the disk isn't recognized by windows, in System Manager it shows that is in there. Tried with Recuva but it didn't recognize the drive.

Is there a recover software that can recognize this type of drive?

+BudMan    3,551

Dude its going to be running a file system that is not known by windows.. Its part of NAS, so its going to be running say ext4 or maybe Btrfs as the file system?  Off the top I don't know what that brand has for options..  That was brought up ago days ago in this thread... Which how exactly is she living without her nas for so freaking long?

Boot your laptop with linux would be the simple solution..

Pedro3    5
18 hours ago, BudMan said:

Dude its going to be running a file system that is not known by windows.. Its part of NAS, so its going to be running say ext4 or maybe Btrfs as the file system?  Off the top I don't know what that brand has for options..  That was brought up ago days ago in this thread... Which how exactly is she living without her nas for so freaking long?

Boot your laptop with linux would be the simple solution..

OK, I'll boot with linux, and whats the name of a data recovery software for Linux for me to use?

I think she copied the most important files to One Drive, and she is really made with the NAS :)

+BudMan    3,551

Testdisk comes to mind.  Or Foremost, photorec -- google for them..

So she is mad shed deleted files?  Who she should be made at is the idiot that set it up and disabled NRB.

Ready2018    42
21 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Testdisk comes to mind.  Or Foremost, photorec -- google for them..

So she is mad shed deleted files?  Who she should be made at is the idiot that set it up and disabled NRB.

I think a long time ago it was established that this person is way over their head with a NAS device. I do pity the poor owner of the NAS and do hope they have not been fooled into thinking that this person knows what they are doing.

• Like 2