• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Domain alias, can this be done?

Question

patseguin    1,328

RIght now, we have www.coveredwagonpromotions.com hosted on Bluehost. I also purchased shirts716.com as an easier option to tell people to get to our website. I added it as a parked domain and when you type in www.shirts716.com, it changes to coveredwagonpromotions.com. What we want it to do is stay shirts716.com so the whole site appears to be shirts716. We also want it this way so that when someone Google's "shirts 716" or something like that, it shows us towards the top of the results (not coveredwagonpromotions.com).

I thought an alias would accomplish this but Bluehost doesn't appear to give me an option for that.

Can anyone offer any tips on accomplishing what we want?

3 answers to this question

+BudMan    3,721

how exactly are you getting users to covered when they go to shirts?

Ah - your doing a 301 moved.. Just took a look.

why can you not just host the same site on both names?  Pretty sure you can do SANs with ACME so that both names would be valid in the same cert.

So your saying bluehost doesn't do webhop redirections.  That is normally done dns provider with actually a proxy sort of setup.. If you keep the first domain name in the url, your doing cloaking, etc..  You could prob move your dns to a different dns provider that provides for webhop and cloaking..

patseguin    1,328
46 minutes ago, BudMan said:

how exactly are you getting users to covered when they go to shirts?

Ah - your doing a 301 moved.. Just took a look.

why can you not just host the same site on both names?  Pretty sure you can do SANs with ACME so that both names would be valid in the same cert.

So your saying bluehost doesn't do webhop redirections.  That is normally done dns provider with actually a proxy sort of setup.. If you keep the first domain name in the url, your doing cloaking, etc..  You could prob move your dns to a different dns provider that provides for webhop and cloaking..

Well, apparently on Bluehost I can set up the new domain as an "addon" domain. They copy my existing website files and databases so I'd effectively have 2 identical websites. If they type in coveredwagonpromotions.com or shirts716.com it would display the same exact website but the url's would display with the according domain. Does that make sense to do it that way?

My brother wants s Google search of shirts 716 to show this website at the top. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way and a lot of SEO needs to be done?

EDIT: well, my developer says this:

Duplicating website is never good idea for SEO and I am not suggesting doing this.

Once I get back to work we can discuss more about this.

+BudMan    3,721

2 duplicate sites with different files, would not be good no - you would then have to do sync of any changes.

And yeah would concur 2 different sites competing for SEO wouldn't be ideal either..

In my webhost, I can point any domain I want to the files I want to serve.. so lets say domainA.com is serving up

home/user/public_html/siteA

I can create DomainB.com and have it serve up the same files

home/user/public_html/siteA

How that would effect SEO I am not sure.