• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How to transfer Windows 10 license to new PC

FusionGuy    0

I would like to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to my new build and deactivate it on the old system. I have read there are multiple ways of doing this but am still confused. The easiest way I read was to log in with a MS account and that would link the Windows license to the account. Then I would need to log in on the new system with my MS account and transfer it over but I don't see how.

I also read some versions of Windows can't be transferred. Originally I upgraded from Windows 8 when MS was giving 10 out for free. On my old PC it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to you Microsoft account.

Also this is not a OEM version. Any help would be appreciated.

goretsky    1,017

Hello,

The free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8 was only licensed for that computer--it cannot be transferred to a new computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Circaflex    3,540
6 hours ago, FusionGuy said:

I would like to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to my new build and deactivate it on the old system. I have read there are multiple ways of doing this but am still confused. The easiest way I read was to log in with a MS account and that would link the Windows license to the account. Then I would need to log in on the new system with my MS account and transfer it over but I don't see how.

I also read some versions of Windows can't be transferred. Originally I upgraded from Windows 8 when MS was giving 10 out for free. On my old PC it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to you Microsoft account.

Also this is not a OEM version. Any help would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

The free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8 was only licensed for that computer--it cannot be transferred to a new computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

My understanding is, the OP had a retail copy of Windows 8, which according to what I have found states:

"If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 license carries the retail rights from which it was derived – can be transferred. But under Microsoft’s rules, you are only entitled to a one time transfer."

On the current system, use an elevated command prompt and type the following: slmgr.vbs /upk

Now you can activate the new build using the Windows 8 product code.

• Like 2