• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

How to transfer Windows 10 license to new PC

FusionGuy    0

I would like to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to my new build and deactivate it on the old system. I have read there are multiple ways of doing this but am still confused. The easiest way I read was to log in with a MS account and that would link the Windows license to the account. Then I would need to log in on the new system with my MS account and transfer it over but I don't see how.

I also read some versions of Windows can't be transferred. Originally I upgraded from Windows 8 when MS was giving 10 out for free. On my old PC it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to you Microsoft account.

Also this is not a OEM version. Any help would be appreciated.

goretsky    995

Hello,

The free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8 was only licensed for that computer--it cannot be transferred to a new computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Circaflex    3,487
6 hours ago, FusionGuy said:

I would like to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license to my new build and deactivate it on the old system. I have read there are multiple ways of doing this but am still confused. The easiest way I read was to log in with a MS account and that would link the Windows license to the account. Then I would need to log in on the new system with my MS account and transfer it over but I don't see how.

I also read some versions of Windows can't be transferred. Originally I upgraded from Windows 8 when MS was giving 10 out for free. On my old PC it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to you Microsoft account.

Also this is not a OEM version. Any help would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

The free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8 was only licensed for that computer--it cannot be transferred to a new computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

My understanding is, the OP had a retail copy of Windows 8, which according to what I have found states:

"If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 license carries the retail rights from which it was derived – can be transferred. But under Microsoft’s rules, you are only entitled to a one time transfer."

On the current system, use an elevated command prompt and type the following: slmgr.vbs /upk

Now you can activate the new build using the Windows 8 product code.

• Like 2