• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Network Switcher Grinding Internet Connection To Hault

Question

Soni    1

Hi All, i would be very grateful if somebody could assist me with this issue i have.

Several months ago my Virgin Media internet started running slow.  I've been with VM for around 15 years and always had good service and speeds.

It was around the same time as i purchased my new phone, and initially thought it was the phones wifi card being poor at receiving until my wife and daughters also reported issues.

Then the PC connected via Ethernet cable directly to the router started losing connection and runnning slow with videos on Facebook just spinning and even loading posts on Facebook is impossible.

Several engineers have attended my property and replaced connections and tested and even replaced the Superhub on the last visit and still experiencing problems.

Phoned VM and they reset the hub each time and its fine for a few minutes and then the problem starts again.

I have managed to find the issue through trial and error but not sure how to resolve it?

This is my set up below.

Virgin Media Superhub directed connected to laptop in the conservatory and broadcasting wireless with the wireless signal on our phones displaying a good signal at either full bars or 3/4 bars.

Cat5 cable running around the outside of my house, through the garage, and in through the wall to the lounge and connected to a switcher underneath the TV which i've had a few years now and never experienced an issue with it (think its a gigabit switcher).

I then have Ethernet cables running out of the switcher with one going to the Smart TV, one going to the SKYQ Box, and another running out of the box and going upstairs to 'another switcher' in a bedroom and then another ethernet cable running out of that switcher and through another wall into my bedroom and connecting at my laptop.

So, the other week i can't remember why but i disconnected the ethernet cable running between the router, around the side of the house, and into the switcher in the lounge under the TV.  The wireless signal was perfect without any problems and Facebook posts and videos running perfectly.

I was then convinced that it was the Smart TV draining the internet connection somehow in the background.  I disconnected all cables from switcher under the TV (including the Smart TV) but reconnected the ethernet cable between the router and switcher and all was still well which therefore proved that the switcher under the TV is not causing the problem.  I then attached the ethernet cable directly to the back of the TV without going through the switcher and thought i would be proving that the TV is slowing the internet but guess what?  The TV wasn't! Everything was still running fine with the TV connected!

So i then reconnected everything back up and disconnected my laptop upstairs from the upstairs switcher and it still had the same problems.  Until i disconnected the upstairs switcher and everything was running fine!

Therefore i think i've proved its the upstairs switcher somehow causing the whole network to grind to a hault but how does that affect wifi and other devices when none of those devices are connected directly to that switcher and that switcher isn't broadcasting the wifi??

The switcher upstairs is a TP Link 5 -port Gigabit unmanaged Pro Switch TL-SG105E.

Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

DaveLegg    974

Is it possible that you have a cable with both ends plugged into that switch? If so, that would cause a loop in the network, which would flood it with packets. If that's not the case, I'd try just replacing the switch, you can pick up a basic gigabit switch for hardly anything these days.

+BudMan    3,392
6 hours ago, Soni said:

Superhub directed connected to laptop in the conservatory and broadcasting wireless

"another ethernet cable running out of that switcher and through another wall into my bedroom and connecting at my laptop"

A drawing would really help!  But yeah it seems like you might have a loop..  A loop could bring down the whole network for sure!!!

Is it possible you could draw up all your physical connections an how exactly you have this wireless setup..

tomcoleman    230

is the cable the links the 2 damaged, or crossed over in some way, wrong pairs etc.

failing that google "loop back network switch"

Soni    1

Hi Guys thank you all for your posts. 

Will try and detail the setup below. 

Virgin Media Superhub

:                                       :

TP-link gigabit.        Consev Laptop

switcher

TL-SG1005D

:                   :                       :

SKYQ    SMART TV.   Upstairs                                                                                  Switch

:

Upstairs                                                                   Laptop

The Upstairs Switch is the model named above in my initial post. 

I only have the one ethernet coming out of the upstairs switch and the input coming up fron the downstairs switcher going in therefore can't be a loop??? 

Edited by Soni

+BudMan    3,392

thought you said the laptop was directly connected to your hub.. Is that the same laptop that is plugged into the switch as well?

dipsylalapo    1,684
1 minute ago, BudMan said:

thought you said the laptop was directly connected to your hub.. Is that the same laptop that is plugged into the switch as well?

I think there are two laptops .

Upstairs laptop and conservatory laptop

Soni    1

Two laptops one plugged directly into super hub the other plugged into upstairs switcher apologies will amend the above diagram now. 

+BudMan    3,392

Well he doesn't show that, nor does he go into wireless and or any wireless devices that might also have a wire - say the TV for example

You can create a loop when you have wireless device that bridges and connected both to wireless network and wired that is the same L2 network.

If they are 2 different laptops he should use say laptopA and laptopB or laptop1 or laptop 2, etc.

Sounds like he has a laptop providing wireless?  Which is a bridge - and then if another laptop on the that wireless and wired as well.. Or any sort of devices like sonos speakers - they can create a loop as well if wired and wireless, etc.

Is his hub also doing wireless?  Simple sniff on a PC or Laptop would be able to tell us of there is a loop..

dipsylalapo    1,684
2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Well he doesn't show that, nor does he go into wireless and or any wireless devices that might also have a wire - say the TV for example

You can create a loop when you have wireless device that bridges and connected both to wireless network and wired that is the same L2 network.

If they are 2 different laptops he should use say laptopA and laptopB or laptop1 or laptop 2, etc.

I was wondering about this.

Soni    1

Sorry guys you are all obviously a lot more clued up than me. I've edited the above diagram also have 4 x mobile phones on wireless and sonos soundbar recently set up on wireless but this problem has been going on long before I set the sonos up.

As mentioned your all a lot more clued up than me would you mind therefore talking me through what to check in basic terms that I can understand lol! 😁

+BudMan    3,392

Is your sonos wired and wireless?  What exactly providing wireless to your 4 phones?  You mentioned your laptop was providing wireless.. Is your hub also providing wireless?

Your 105e can do spanning tree - there can be issues with sonos and spanning tree..

Also its not switcher, they are called network switch or switches ;)

I would suggest you grab wireshark and run on one of your laptops and post up the sniff and we will be able to see right away if there is a loop.  Does turning off your sonos - no power not connected to your network fix your problem?  Also your skyq - can do wireless as well can it not? 
So that could also be a bridge, etc.

https://www.wireshark.org/

• Like 1

sc302    1,684

Something a little easier to do, maybe even faster....

unplug everything from the switch.   

Plug in the internet to the switch (at this point only the router/internet gateway should be plugged into the switch).  Do you see any slow downs with other devices going through the router?

Plug in a computer into the switch (at this point the only thing plugged into the switch is a computer/laptop and the router).  Do you see any slow downs with the computer that is directly plugged into the switch?

Slowly and carefully plug in 1 thing at a time and test slowness.  Eventually you will come up to the 1 thing that is causing all of your pain.  You can't have that many things in play where you cannot do this to verify cause of slowness.  

Soni    1

image.thumb.png.673134e09930e8e2660950bbb41f7eb9.png

Don't know if i've done the above correctly?

sc302    1,684

You may want to follow my instructions.....

+BudMan    3,392

ok sniff on that ethernet connection... And lets see if you are seeing a loop...  Or whatelse might be causing issues on the network.  Your saying this machine as problems getting to the internet - slow, do some stuff you think is slow while sniffing... Then save the pcap and attach. so we can take a look see.

Soni    1
7 minutes ago, sc302 said:

You may want to follow my instructions.....

Hi mate what switch the upstairs or downstairs to unplug everything from?

As mentioned above when i unplug the ethernet leading to the upstairs switch from the downstairs switch everything works perfectly even though everything is connected at that point apart from the upstairs switch and the upstairs laptop leading off the upstairs switch therefore i don't think its anything to do with anything downstairs?

Soni    1
7 minutes ago, BudMan said:

ok sniff on that ethernet connection... And lets see if you are seeing a loop...  Or whatelse might be causing issues on the network.  Your saying this machine as problems getting to the internet - slow, do some stuff you think is slow while sniffing... Then save the pcap and attach. so we can take a look see.

How do i do a sniff?  The main problem is our phones over wifi are struggling when the upstairs switch is connected to the downstairs switch but when i remove the ethernet joining the upstairs siwtch to the downstairs switch everything runs super quick!

+BudMan    3,392

click the capture button..

Soni    1

image.thumb.png.b06023812b0955a108296e89a207c7f3.png

Soni    1

That a sniff?  The top info in the top part of the screen kept refreshing every second didn't look like it stops?

sc302    1,684

Pick the one closest to the router and work your way back. 

Essentially you will will have to do both until you find cause.  

+BudMan    3,392

you can stop it and then save it and post it...

Soni    1

image.thumb.png.904d5f00f2f3162faf2d8dc0834c504f.png

Does that look right having 3 x TV's when i only have one?

+BudMan    3,392

No it doesn't!

Soni    1

Ok i'm trying to post all that information that keeps refreshing at the top of the page but how do i do it?

10 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Pick the one closest to the router and work your way back. 

Essentially you will will have to do both until you find cause.  

Hi Mate just checking that i've already done that haven't i?  If i've removed the upstairs switcher from the network and that cures the problem?