Will PC bottleneck if i upgrade video card

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

But a human being REALLY has to INVERT THEIR BRAIN and THINK BACKWARDS to worry about the sad situation of a lonley old CPU that is overworked by a big mean GPU.

If you plug in the card and the games run great, just send a small charity donation to the Home for Orphaned CPUs if you still feel bad for your CPU...

I don't.... I'm not even sure how to reply to this.

Most modern computers are bottlenecked by lack of cores, lack of RAM and more importantly lack of PCIe lanes and other internal buses that dictate I/O throughput.

Also, serious discrepancy in speed from RAM to storage which is helped a bit by NVMe uptake.

For GPU there are TWO use cases:

1. GPU computing where the GPU is actually part of a processing pipeline where you are waiting for a result.

2. Display of 3D data typically a game where the GPU is the endpoint of a pipeline sort of like the end of a sewer pipe!

For end points, "bottleneck" is the wrong concept to consider.

FAR MORE IMPORTANT is the concept of LATENCY for which a powerful GPU on an average CPU is actually a great match!

21 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

right now I game at 1080P with my Geforce 1050, and so far works well for the games I play right now.   Though just started using 1080P since finally got a monitor to support that.   Previously was running 1600x900 for a while.       Games played Battlefield 4,  Secondlife,  Grand Theft Auto V,  American Truck Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator 2 most days--Guess nothing that demanding as yet

So step back and take a deep breath.

You are LOL excited about a video card purchase which is human and normal but none of your games need that!

So your excitement is very abstract thinking about much improved hardware that does you no good, sort of like paying real money for a bunch of digital pixels known as Fortnite Skins which is how Epic makes their revenue.

So great gear is always fun but maybe plan out a list that gives you real return on investment that you will really notice.

Some ideas:

1. save up for the real GPU kicker such as 2070 ti

2. get a 4K monitor that will need that 2070! Get a 10 bit panel for HDR.

3. get a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus to actually remove a REAL BOTTLENECK in general performance. (with 1 TB, some games can be installed on it that would benefit from super fast load times)

4. A quality mechanical keyboard gives instant tactile rewords for money spent!

5. Nothing gets used more than your mouse and monitor so they deserve a lot more investment than people usually provide. You will want a super high resolution accurate mouse anyways with that 4K monitor!

Alll Good things to consider there,  Can look into 4k Monitor,  or 1TB Samsung SSD,  Have Logitech G502 Mouse currently,  Logitech G213 Keyboard, and Western DIgital 250gb ssd right now

Thank you all for the replies, will keep saving for the future, and determine what to get.    

2 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Alll Good things to consider there,  Can look into 4k Monitor,  or 1TB Samsung SSD,  Have Logitech G502 Mouse currently,  Logitech G213 Keyboard, and Western DIgital 250gb ssd right now

Thank you all for the replies, will keep saving for the future, and determine what to get.    

Of course ... if you want a stop-gap in the interim (to upgrade from the current 1050ti) ... the 2060 would be just fine.  

1 minute ago, Jim K said:

Of course ... if you want a stop-gap in the interim (to upgrade from the current 1050ti) ... the 2060 would be just fine.  

Yeah but... he doesn't actually need a stopgap. The 1050 will handle his game list just fine.

Right understands that,  still looks into purchasing the 2060.   Overall very happy with this Intel System,  

just have to do the purchase,  get it installed, and continue to save for future items 

52 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

That's the wrong way to look at it. It really depends on what resolution you are playing at. At 1080p a 2060 will definitely bottleneck much stronger cpu's than 7700 (watch the video).

Note - I'm not saying pairing a 2060 with a 7700 is bad, just that it can and will bottleneck. RTX cards are that strong. You have to go up in resolution before they will not be bottlenecking most cpus.

Even if it's a bottleneck, it will still perform WAY over the 1050Ti.   I would personally just the the 1660Ti, but it's not my money, either, lol.  I think ray-tracing and DLSS performance needs to improve a little more.  The 2060 is on the lower-end of that performance, so keep that in mind, but still a worthy upgrade.

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Yeah but... he doesn't actually need a stopgap. The 1050 will handle his game list just fine.

The 2060 trounces the 1050ti...it will give him a much better gaming experience *today* with his current budget.

8 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Right understands that,  still looks into purchasing the 2060.   Overall very happy with this Intel System,  

just have to do the purchase,  get it installed, and continue to save for future items 

Strongly suggest AGAINST that.

1. You don't need the 2060 for your set of current games.

2. If you get a 4K monitor, the 2060 could easily be underpowered at that time

3. Resulting in, NO value NOW and NO value later!

Or you need to immediately get addicted to playing the modern equivalent of Crysis! Anyone happen to know what the most demanding game is right now?

4 minutes ago, Jim K said:

The 2060 trounces the 1050ti...it will give him a much better gaming experience *today* with his current budget.

He listed his games.

He is limited to 1080p.

I don't see where "much better gaming experience today" could possibly come from?

5 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Strongly suggest AGAINST that.

1. You don't need the 2060 for current games.

2. If you get a 4K monitor, the 2060 could easily be underpowered at that time

3. Resulting in, NO value NOW and NO value later!

Or you need to immediately get addicted to playing the modern equivalent of Crysis! Anyone happen to know what the most demanding game is right now?

He listed his games.

He is limited to 1080p.

I don't see where "much better gaming experience today" could possibly come from?

Probably Metro Exodus.

Good luck playing that on a 1050ti

No problem for a 2060.

There is no contest between them....even at 1080p.  Given his current budget/rig ... it is good decision for better gaming *today* ... IMO

1440p is really the sweet spot for gaming.  Higher refresh rates on the panels and easier to drive with the 2060.  I would look into a quality 1440p panel before a 4k.  

It's all subjective and everybody has their opinions on it, but it's the OPs money.  Saying the 2060 will bottleneck, but then recommending a 2070....  

One thing is for sure, people can sure spend a lot of money when it's not theirs.

Anyone here see how to significantly improve these games from 1050 to 2060?

Battlefield 4

Secondlife

Grand Theft Auto V

American Truck Simulator

Euro Truck Simulator 2

Maybe some mod pack on GTA V?

2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Probably Metro Exodus.

Good luck playing that on a 1050ti

No problem for a 2060.

There is no contest between them....even at 1080p.

I think he has the 1050, not the 1050 ti 

Of course the 2060 is more powerful, just NOT for the games the OP actually plays.

So.....

The plan here is to now get him addicted to playing Metro Exodus so he has a reason to buy a 2060!!!

20 minutes ago, Jim K said:

A better budget option in the short term would be the 1660.

There is always the amd option to consider, too. I don't remember which specific models they were but they recently lowered their prices on some of them to compete in the mid range via price vs performance.

4 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

There is always the amd option to consider, too. I don't remember which specific models they were but they recently lowered their prices on some of them to compete in the mid range via price vs performance. 

The RX 580 is similar performance to the 1060. There's just that bit of turbulence.

When I was considering the 1060, I turned my head and took the RX 580...

Edit: Not sure twhat the 2060 matches up to, though.

33 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I think he has the 1050, not the 1050 ti 

Of course the 2060 is more powerful, just NOT for the games the OP actually plays.

So.....

The plan here is to now get him addicted to playing Metro Exodus so he has a reason to buy a 2060!!!

You asked "Anyone happen to know what the most demanding game is right now?" ... which I believe is Metro Exodus.  That is the only reason I mentioned it...not a "plan here is to now get him addicted to playing Metro Exodus."

You're basically limiting him to games that are several years old ... whereas the 2060 can play any game ... today ... and at much better frame rates/higher detail than a 1050 could dream of.  Want to play Far Cry 5, Doom, Metro Exodus, etc...no, no you don't on a 1050.  Maybe there is a reason the games he listed are several years old....

25 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

That is a much better argument.  What's the difference ... about 50-100 bucks cheaper for slightly less performance and minus RTX (which I'm not really sure is much of a benefit in a 2060 presently)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jim K said:

You asked "Anyone happen to know what the most demanding game is right now?" ... which I believe is Metro Exodus (and the only reason I mentioned it).

You're basically limiting him to games that are several years old ... whereas the 2060 can play any game ... today ... and at much better frame rates/higher detail than a 1050 could dream of.  Want to play Far Cry 5, Doom, Metro Exodus, etc...no, no you don't on a 1050.  Maybe there is a reason the games he listed are several years old....

That is a much better argument.  What's the difference ... about 50-100 bucks cheaper for slightly less performance and minus RTX (not really sure you'd be RTX'ing much on a 2060 anyway).

This is absurd!

I am not LIMITING the OP in any way!

I simply re-listed for easy reference the EXACT LIST of games that the OP actually plays!!!!!

WHY on earth are we discussing ANY upgrade when he DOES NOT NEED IT?

The "Metro Exodus" thing is SIMPLY to provide any tiny thread of a reason to upgrade! If he DOES NOT play ANY other games, then his best possible strategy is to WAIT before ANY purchase until he has a game that needs an improved GPU.

That way, he can get the best possible value for his money WHEN HE NEEDS IT!

Maybe it will be a 2060 ti or a 1675 ti or a 2065 etc etc....

Yeah I can just wait and save up more money,   my current games are fine I think, I am fine with waiting if that is what is best,  money won't burn a hole in my pocket, I am very good at saving.    as I try to spend for the best value, and what will last a while

January 2016 I purchased AMD FX 8310 as was having performance issues in Secondlife with my old AMD A6-3620 desktop,  of course then I was still having issues in the game with lag and performance problems, so since had extra money saved up in August 2017,  in September I pulled the trigger on this Asus G11CD-K Desktop, tried to get most I could afford then

Who knows might save up more, and look into even bigger upgrade in the future,  I asked this question since was almost ready to pull the trigger on the 2060, but then again a lot to think about and determine if would be best value to go for It now 

Who knows may decide to go for a full PC tower upgrade--Processor, Memory, video, but at this point not even sure that's needed either

12 minutes ago, DevTech said:

This is absurd!

I am not LIMITING the OP in any way!

I simply re-listed for easy reference the EXACT LIST of games that the OP actually plays!!!!!

WHY on earth are we discussing ANY upgrade when he DOES NOT NEED IT?

The "Metro Exodus" thing is SIMPLY to provide any tiny thread of a reason to upgrade! If he DOES NOT play ANY other games, then his best possible strategy is to WAIT before ANY purchase until he has a game that needs an improved GPU.

That way, he can get the best possible value for his money WHEN HE NEEDS IT!

Maybe it will be a 2060 ti or a 1675 ti or a 2065 etc etc....

/sigh … possibly because he can not play any recent games since he has a 1050.  Maybe he wants to upgrade to a 2060 and was simply asking if it would be compatible with his current PC.  Maybe he wants to play Far Cry 5, Doom or whatever.  His American Truck Simulator, btw, would probably benefit from the upgrade.  Nothing is wrong with a 2060/1660ti if wants to play current games … *today*  Right now his biggest limiting factor is that 1050.

Also, no … the Metro Exodus was not a means to "provide any tiny thread" to upgrade.  It was a direct response to a question of yours … as I've said.

26 minutes ago, Jim K said:

/sigh … possibly because he can not play any recent games since he has a 1050.  Maybe he wants to upgrade to a 2060 and was simply asking if it would be compatible with his current PC.  Maybe he wants to play Far Cry 5, Doom or whatever.  His American Truck Simulator, btw, would probably benefit from the upgrade.  Nothing is wrong with a 2060/1660ti if wants to play current games … *today*  Right now his biggest limiting factor is that 1050.

Also, no … the Metro Exodus was not a means to "provide any tiny thread" to upgrade.  It was a direct response to a question of yours … as I've said.

If your read his posts, he is being very precise and specific.

Of course there is a huge list of games he might want to play in the future that would be severely limited by his current 1050 but depending in his future choices, a 2060 might also be insufficient.

He has made ZERO indication despite being quite active in this thread and following this discussion, that the current 1050 is the CAUSATIVE FACTOR that PREVENTS him from trying other games. He simply appears to have NO interest in other games at this time. Which is OK. But my advice to him is obligated to consider that actual fact. Which is why I stated he should just wait...

Trying to be creative is why I asked for an example of a game that would need an upgrade even at 1080p. Thank you for that and I never said you suggested he wanted to play it. I simply said (well obviously not that simply or clearly since I failed to properly express my thoughts) that UNLESS we could DREAM UP a game he would WANT to play, it would be pointless to upgrade.

Maybe it would be fun for people here to suggest a list of really fun to play games that absolutely require a minimum of a 2060 at 1080p in order to run. Maybe the OP could conceivably find something he likes from such a list and then we could actually come full circle and justify all this discussion that the "2060" will be "good enough"

And maybe we'd actually be talking about a real game instead of this weird abstract who cares what game, it will run great anyways most likely, maybe, who knows...

57 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Yeah I can just wait and save up more money,   my current games are fine I think, I am fine with waiting if that is what is best,  money won't burn a hole in my pocket, I am very good at saving.    as I try to spend for the best value, and what will last a while

January 2016 I purchased AMD FX 8310 as was having performance issues in Secondlife with my old AMD A6-3620 desktop,  of course then I was still having issues in the game with lag and performance problems, so since had extra money saved up in August 2017,  in September I pulled the trigger on this Asus G11CD-K Desktop, tried to get most I could afford then

Who knows might save up more, and look into even bigger upgrade in the future,  I asked this question since was almost ready to pull the trigger on the 2060, but then again a lot to think about and determine if would be best value to go for It now 

Who knows may decide to go for a full PC tower upgrade--Processor, Memory, video, but at this point not even sure that's needed either

I think that is a sensible approach.

With the facts you have provided so far, the 2060 is VERY POOR VALUE since you don't need it!

People here will help when and if you need to upgrade but give it lots of time for a variety of inputs to show up.

If you are only doing gaming with your PC, then with your current games, your focus might be best directed to quality of experience instead of performance. Such as 4K monitors or even THREE monitors for that panoramic thing if the games support it.

If none of that appeals to you, and it is purely a gaming scenario, then the only possible upgrade is a GPU. Ideally first find a new game you will enjoy that is worth all the trouble!

Again, since there is no game you need to run, waiting for a price reduction in a RTX 2070 ti would lead to more VALUE in terms of increased longevity with the reasonable assumption that you are not drawn to the types of gaming that would eventually require a RTX 1080 ti or TITAN RTX.

The RTX 2060 is great for an immediate need, but you don't have such a need, and by the time that you do, you are faced with a longevity concern about that choice.

Thank you all for the informative replies, so appreciate it,  very helpful and helping me choose which is best value for money spent in terms of future hardware upgrades, while I have the money saved now for a 2060 or 1660ti,  decided to wait and save more and then determine if I do play any new games in the future at that time if it's worth a video card only upgrade or a whole system upgrade at that time.    As not only do I  have to consider if I do ever play any new games not only video card, but video resolution,  Processor speed/system memory as well

As for 3-4 monitors sure i'd have to have that setup, but room/desk space doesn't really allow that aspect,   video encoding with makemkv I do sometimes off and on,  sometimes watch dvd's with optical drive (thinking if and when I do another whole system upgrade I may not even have an optical drive in that future system lol)    

Some reason Asus latest gaming system Asus GL12 is sold out everywhere or very very expensive lol, so don't think making jump into Intel 8700K or 9900K anytime soon lol,  unless I win the lottery or find a boatload of money saved up that I forgot where I put it lol, Sure i'd like to have a true 8 core as when I had my AMD FX 8310 I thought that was true  8 core at the time, only to find out later wasn't true 8 core lol, so picked out this Intel I7 7700 system, September 2017,  Also have a HP Omen gaming laptop, with Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb of ddr4 ram, 15.6 HDR display,  Geforce 1050TI,  (while I can't upgrade laptop without purchasing new, I have a feeling will meet needs for a long time, even if just to run older games in the future) 

6 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Thank you all for the informative replies, so appreciate it,  very helpful and helping me choose which is best value for money spent in terms of future hardware upgrades, while I have the money saved now for a 2060 or 1660ti,  decided to wait and save more and then determine if I do play any new games in the future at that time if it's worth a video card only upgrade or a whole system upgrade at that time.    As not only do I  have to consider if I do ever play any new games not only video card, but video resolution,  Processor speed/system memory as well

As for 3-4 monitors sure i'd have to have that setup, but room/desk space doesn't really allow that aspect,   video encoding with makemkv I do sometimes off and on,  sometimes watch dvd's with optical drive (thinking if and when I do another whole system upgrade I may not even have an optical drive in that future system lol)    

Some reason Asus latest gaming system Asus GL12 is sold out everywhere or very very expensive lol, so don't think making jump into Intel 8700K or 9900K anytime soon lol,  unless I win the lottery or find a boatload of money saved up that I forgot where I put it lol, Sure i'd like to have a true 8 core as when I had my AMD FX 8310 I thought that was true  8 core at the time, only to find out later wasn't true 8 core lol, so picked out this Intel I7 7700 system, September 2017,  Also have a HP Omen gaming laptop, with Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb of ddr4 ram, 15.6 HDR display,  Geforce 1050TI,  (while I can't upgrade laptop without purchasing new, I have a feeling will meet needs for a long time, even if just to run older games in the future) 

I wouldn't necessarily worry about upgrading the system as whole right now...or even in the near future. A 7700 is more than capable (and I'm assuming you have 16GB of RAM?)

Your bottleneck, right now, is that 1050.  Through your current listing of games ... the ATS (fairly sure you have to run that with details turned down) would benefit while the others will probably just yield higher (doesn't necessarily mean observably better) fps.  The 1050 also pretty much precludes you from games released over the past couple of years ... then again maybe nothing recently has sparked your interest. :)

Anyway, when the time comes and you have a budget/need ... I would replace the 1050 with a better GPU and keep the current system.