• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New NAS loose screw sound out of box

notta    71
Posted (edited)

Guys, I just received my new QNAP TVS-472XT NAS and when taking it out of the box I heard a loose screw sound. I removed the back of the unit to find it wasn't a screw but a chip labeled 4R7. I am hoping it was a extra loose chip dropped in during build process. I don't want to send it back and there is nothing wrong with it. I booted it up and connected to the setup page on the NAS. It wants me to insert the drives. Would you go through with the build process or send it back? I don't want to find out later that some feature doesn't work that isn't being used right now. I posted on the QNAP forums but it's the weekend so probably won't get  a response until Monday. Would you keep going or send it back?

Mindovermaster    1,788

If you can look at the PCB, and see if anything fell off, that loose piece could harm your HDD, or your system. While it "works", it could be you don't need that chip yet, until you set it up

I don't think they would just throw in a spare piece...

I'd RMA it. Unless QNAP forums say any different.

notta    71

If I send it back it's going back to Amazon. If they give me a hard time I would return it stating something like it doesn't do what I wanted and then buy it again. That is BS to have to send back a brand new item to the manufacturer only to get a refurbished replacement for something I've never used yet.

+warwagon    12,824

It appears 4r7 is usually "An inductor, which is part of the voltage regulator circuitry."

Jim K    12,799

If I had inductors (or any chips) falling out of my newly purchased device I would be returning it.  Just sayin...

Though it may appear to be working fine ... if that inductor was actually meant to be on the motherboard (vs. hanging out in the chassis) then something somewhere isn't getting the proper voltage or some feature of this QNAP doesn't work (you just haven't come across it).  

notta    71

Yea I hear you guys. On the phone now to send it back. My impatience was kicking in.

Mindovermaster    1,788
2 hours ago, notta said:

If I send it back it's going back to Amazon. If they give me a hard time I would return it stating something like it doesn't do what I wanted and then buy it again. That is BS to have to send back a brand new item to the manufacturer only to get a refurbished replacement for something I've never used yet.

You can't just RMA it back to QNAP and get a replacement? Those don't include restocking fees...

Marujan    83

take soldering iron and put it C1 back to board, its easy.....plus you will get a practice

Mindovermaster    1,788
2 minutes ago, Marujan said:

take soldering iron and put it C1 back to board, its easy.....plus you will get a practice

What happens if he messes it up?

notta    71
Posted (edited)

I feel I should not have to call the manufacturer because that would be a slow process and like I said I would probably get a refurbed unit for something I never even got to use. I called Amazon and they are sending me out a new one, which will hopefully be here Monday,  and I'm returning the one they sent me. They gave me $20 credit for the trouble. I told him I don't want the credit I just want a working unit. Nothing more.

Edited by notta
  • Like 1

SnoopZ    230

You turned down $20? Crazy....

notta    71
3 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

You turned down $20? Crazy....

I didn't say I turned it down :) I just said whatever I just want the unit. I was prepared to pay for one day shopping if they could have gotten here tomorrow but it was too late in the day.

notta    71

Wow, they deleted my post on the QNAP forums without any notification. My question was completely legit just like my OP. I have never seen that. Usually you will have a notification in your messages or something letting you know. I thought I had maybe posted it in the wrong forum, but when I view my posts I have only one post from the past. Makes you wonder about the company when they do stuff like that. Doesn't matter because both Synology and Qnap are Taiwanese companies so not a lot of options.

notta    71
Posted (edited)

Have you guys had this many problems with Amazon delivery?

1) Friday - Order supposed to arrive. 10 minutes before deadline call and ask status of package. Amazon responds and says it's not coming today. Will deliver tomorrow.

2) Saturday - Package delivered. Package is damaged. Call Amazon and replacement item sent out and will be here Monday.

3) Monday - 8:00 am - package out for delivery. 6:30 pm get email the new delivery date has been assigned to Wednesday. WTF? Call Amazon the tech says this package is scheduled for 4-5 delivery. Well Amazon lady your web page stated "Want this Monday order in the next x hours." What was the out for delivery emails I received? What is that all about? She said it may still come tonight or may come tomorrow. I said what kind of operation is being run over there? I get an email stating it won't be here until Wednesday and now you're telling me tomorrow possibly? I wouldn't have complained if the website didn't say "want this Monday?" I wouldn't have complained if I didn't receive emails stating the package was out for delivery.

I am trying to be here when the package arrives as it is a $1200 item and I live on a main road. UPS is the only reliable service. I am still watching the truck move around the map. What poor routing they use. This truck has been all over the place. It's 6:30 pm and the truck has finally stopped. Good news in that the hover text shows that I am 7 stops away. The problem is that it has been showing that all day. Web site shows arriving by 9 and you stop working at 6:30 pm? Looks like the driver said screw this, I want to go home and watch The Connors.

Edited by notta

Mindovermaster    1,788

@jnelsoninjax might be able to answer you...

+jnelsoninjax    11,693
2 hours ago, notta said:

Have you guys had this many problems with Amazon delivery?

1) Friday - Order supposed to arrive. 10 minutes before deadline call and ask status of package. Amazon responds and says it's not coming today. Will deliver tomorrow.

2) Saturday - Package delivered. Package is damaged. Call Amazon and replacement item sent out and will be here Monday.

3) Monday - 8:00 am - package out for delivery. 6:30 pm get email the new delivery date has been assigned to Wednesday. WTF? Call Amazon the tech says this package is scheduled for 4-5 delivery. Well Amazon lady your web page stated "Want this Monday order in the next x hours." What was the out for delivery emails I received? What is that all about? She said it may still come tonight or may come tomorrow. I said what kind of operation is being run over there? I get an email stating it won't be here until Wednesday and now you're telling me tomorrow possibly? I wouldn't have complained if the website didn't say "want this Monday?" I wouldn't have complained if I didn't receive emails stating the package was out for delivery.

I am trying to be here when the package arrives as it is a $1200 item and I live on a main road. UPS is the only reliable service. I am still watching the truck move around the map. What poor routing they use. This truck has been all over the place. It's 6:30 pm and the truck has finally stopped. Good news in that the hover text shows that I am 7 stops away. The problem is that it has been showing that all day. Web site shows arriving by 9 and you stop working at 6:30 pm? Looks like the driver said screw this, I want to go home and watch The Connors.

Trust me, I hate the way the deliveries are done as well, just because I work for the company, does not mean I have any better insights (sorry!) but I will tell you this, when an item is ordered and it says order in the next x hours and get 2 day shipping, that is a gimmick (it's a poor attempt to get you to psyched up) , I personally have prime membership (long before working for them) and 99% of the time the orders are delivered within the 2 days*  (*2 days refers to the amount of time it will take to ship the item to you, it might take a couple of days for the order to be picked and packed, good rule of thumb is allow 3 days, 1 for pick/pack and 2 for shipping) now I have been spoiled here in Jacksonville, there are 2 fulfillment centers in this city as well as more less then a days drive, so I often get my orders in a day. Just noticed you said that it shows the package out for delivery, who is bringing it? if it shows AMZL (Amazon logistics, there own delivery service) then by all means have customer service call you and ask to be transferred to logistics and see what they say, they can track all the drivers moves via GPS, so they can determine what is going on.