• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0
Sign in to follow this  

LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs

Question

FusionGuy    0
Posted (edited)

I'm trying to transfer videos and photos from my old PC to the new but the transfer rate is very slow. I have a gigabit router and both PCs are wired. Sometimes it gets to around 900Mbps then drops down to 50Mbps or even zero. Both PCs are on Windows 10 Pro 1809.

So far I have tried the following but nothing helps:

 

Disable NetBIOS on both PCs 

Disable Auto tuning on both PCs 

Disable Large Send Offload V1/V2 on new PC. Old PC does not have this listed.

Disable Remote Differential compression on both PCs

Increase Jumbo packet to maximum on both PCs

 

Any other ideas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Som    410

i've found some onboard network cards to be terrible, could try another card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
FusionGuy    0

I don't know if a network card would make a difference. I have 4 PCs in total at home and they all have the slow file transfer speed between them. It has to be something else. I also checked my router settings and I don't see anything in there that would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
LostCat    1,235

Sometimes LAN ports go bad on the PC or the router.  Changing the stuff you did is unlikely to make anything better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DaveLegg    974

Are you transferring lots of small files? It's quite common to see lower transfer speeds in these cases

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
JohnG86    2

Have you downloaded and installed the most recent network drivers for each computer?  The ones from Windows Updates are not always the latest version available from the network card manufacturer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
FusionGuy    0
49 minutes ago, JohnG86 said:

Have you downloaded and installed the most recent network drivers for each computer?  The ones from Windows Updates are not always the latest version available from the network card manufacturer.

Yes I have the latest drivers installed.

59 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

Are you transferring lots of small files? It's quite common to see lower transfer speeds in these cases

Photos and large video files from my gopro and drone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Marujan    82

1) disable antivirus

2) disable caching (slow old HDD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,392
4 hours ago, FusionGuy said:

ncrease Jumbo packet to maximum on both PCs

Why are you running jumbo frames?  Yeah that is NOT what you should be doing..

 

You sure your actually connected at gig?  Just because you have a gig router doesn't mean your PCs interfaces are gig or actually connected at gig.

 

You should see about 113MBytes per second over single channel smb transfer if there is no hold ups..

 

If you have multiple interfaces per PC and your windows 8.1 or higher than you should be doing SMB3 Multichannel and see more..

 

Why don't you grab iperf3 and run a test to validate your actually seeing gig network speeds between PCs and then see what your file copies do.. Try robocopy so you actually get a number you can look at, etc..

 

robocopy.thumb.png.5a0fc2fffe6c278b0ec8aff397cfd55e.png

 

I compile iperf3 for windows - you can find it here

https://files.budman.pw/

 

Just download and run on one pc with -s and then on other with -c ipofotherPC

 

example

iperftest.thumb.png.62d2129e918ff1a45ece5ec38cb58953.png

 

And to be honest I would reset your nic drivers to default... You should be able to see pretty close to full wire speed out of the box..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
BurlyDuck    103

This is using File Explorer copy?  Or something like xcopy, robocopy, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
FusionGuy    0
1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Why are you running jumbo frames?  Yeah that is NOT what you should be doing..

 

You sure your actually connected at gig?  Just because you have a gig router doesn't mean your PCs interfaces are gig or actually connected at gig.

 

You should see about 113MBytes per second over single channel smb transfer if there is no hold ups..

 

If you have multiple interfaces per PC and your windows 8.1 or higher than you should be doing SMB3 Multichannel and see more..

 

Why don't you grab iperf3 and run a test to validate your actually seeing gig network speeds between PCs and then see what your file copies do.. Try robocopy so you actually get a number you can look at, etc..

 

robocopy.thumb.png.5a0fc2fffe6c278b0ec8aff397cfd55e.png

 

I compile iperf3 for windows - you can find it here

https://files.budman.pw/

 

Just download and run on one pc with -s and then on other with -c ipofotherPC

 

example

iperftest.thumb.png.62d2129e918ff1a45ece5ec38cb58953.png

 

And to be honest I would reset your nic drivers to default... You should be able to see pretty close to full wire speed out of the box..

Ok I'll give this a try. Does it matter on what PC uses -s and -c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,392

nope doesn't matter

 

So you should see high 800's I would hope out of the box if not low 900's

 

I would for sure turn off jumbo - it is a special use case that has really zero use for any home network.  And is only going to cause issues vs speed.  I am not running jumbo and you can see my speeds are max for what you could ever expect on gig interface..

 

To be honest only things I would suggest you edit in the driver config if your not seeing good speeds..

 

Interrupt moderation - set to disabled

Bump the number of RSS queues to max, mine I can set to 4

Receive Buffers - max, mine are set to 512

RSS (receive side scaling) = enabled for sure!!!

Bump your xmit buffers to max, 128 is max for this nic

 

To be honest it could be you just have a crap ass switch in your router.. Which make and model do you have exactly... You might actually want to get a real switch.. Doesn't have to be anything expensive or fancy.. I would suggest smart so you can see errors on the switch interface if any, etc. etc.  Your talking like 30-40$ for a 8 port gig switch that can actually move gig ;)

 

To be honest only reason to update your drivers from what windows installs out of the box would be if your not seeing the performance you think you should be seeing.

 

To test if your switch is the problem - connect your 2 PC direct together.. Gig nics can auto mdix, so any cable works.. Then set their IPs like 192.168.0.1/24 on one, and 192.168.0.2/24 on the other and run your iperf and file xfer tests..  If you see good speeds, and bad on your switch then its either the switch or you have maybe something flooding your network with crap..

 

Thread the other day where 18% of all packets on the wire for a guy was multicast crap from his IPTV boxes.. That he put on the same network as his other PCs - that can for sure kill a network..

 

Depending on how these tests go, we might need you to download wireshark and run a sniff when your not doing anything and see if we see a bunch of crap on the wire that could be causing your network issues.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
FusionGuy    0

Ok I'll give this a try when I'm home tonight or tomorrow.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.