Need help building new PC

21 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I had total system power, not just the cards.  That's my point.  

You can't just guess at "322W". There's 1000 different scenarios to that.

You just want more than you can handle. Therefore, you can always use it for your next system.

I'm not guessing.  Those are from actual tests by AnandTech and Tom's Hardware.  That's a hard, physical number and they list the parts they used to get that number.  It's not rocket science.  By the time someone builds a new system, why would they keep re-using old hardware over and over?  If the OP wants to pay more than they need to get a higher wattage power supply, then they can.  I'm not stopping them from doing that.  Suggesting they get a 1200w power supply "just so they have more than they need", is fine to.  That's up to them.  I'm just saying it's not needed at this time.  They can take or leave that advice.  You're talking about SLI and all this other stuff that the OP hasn't even mentioned.  

10 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I'm not guessing.  Those are from actual tests by AnandTech and Tom's Hardware.  That's a hard, physical number and they list the parts they used to get that number.  It's not rocket science.  By the time someone builds a new system, why would they keep re-using old hardware over and over?  If the OP wants to pay more than they need to get a higher wattage power supply, then they can.  I'm not stopping them from doing that.  Suggesting they get a 1200w power supply "just so they have more than they need", is fine to.  That's up to them.  I'm just saying it's not needed at this time.  They can take or leave that advice.  You're talking about SLI and all this other stuff that the OP hasn't even mentioned.  

Those are from AnandTech and Tom's Hardware? That sounds wrong...

I did not suggest the 1200. I just said that is what I have.

SLI was an example, not having to do with his build.

1 hour ago, farmeunit said:

Shows total system power ass 322w with a 2060, playing Battlefield 5.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13762/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-founders-edition-6gb-review/14

Shows card power as 166w peak, 158w average

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-ray-tracing-turing,5960-8.html

Umm, is he going to plat Battlefield 5? Different manufacturers run each card as different power frequencies.

While you are right, to a point, real world use does not depend on benchmarks.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:53 PM, Nick Chapple said:

So I just got an RTX 2060 and am looking to upgrade to a new computer as well as my CPU is a bit outdated.

I am looking for something that will run my oculus rift fine, along with games on high settings that will at least keep up for several more years.

Below is what I am currently looking at. I was curious if this would work with my goal, or be basically to outdated to run new games that come out next year on high settings. Please note I play on an HD monitor no 4k or anything like that.

Any tips or suggestions to possibly save a few bucks or anything here I can replace that's maybe more optimal to get? As I am on a budget trying to get the most bang for my buck, but also do want quality parts.

Motherboard - https://www.amazon.com/ROG-B350-F-GAMING-DisplayPort-Motherboard/dp/B071SGQP1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546142719&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+ROG+STRIX+B350-F

Processor - https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07B41WS48/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546142268&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=AMD+RYZEN+5+2600+6-Core&psc=1

Ram  - https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Kingston-Technology-HX424C15FB2K2-16/dp/B01D8U2B8W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546142325&sr=8-3&keywords=hyperx+16gb+ddr4+ram

Power Supply  - https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-Warranty-Supply-210-GQ-0650-V1/dp/B017HA3SQ8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1546142750&sr=1-5&keywords=650+watt+power+supply

Computer case  - https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Gaming-Computer-THOR-V2/dp/B0058P5S9A/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546143168&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Rosewill+Gaming+ATX+Full+Tower+Computer+Case&psc=1

The thread quickly devolved into a Babble of Rabid Monkeys...

There is NO sense in a review of the answers that anyone gave any consideration to your actual objective.

YOUR OBJECTIVE:

1. "I am looking for something that will run my oculus rift fine, along with games on high settings that will at least keep up for several more years."

2.  "to run new games that come out next year on high settings. Please note I play on an HD monitor no 4k or anything like that."

Some things to consider:

1. It is hard to predict tech for "several more years" (is that 4 years?) but it is certainly sensible when looking to get good value to consider the overall "return on investment" for any purchase and longevity is a huge part of that value. Certainly worth more thought than we have seen so far...

2. The selection of a 2060 is a bit of a paradox to the stated objective since it will limit the chances of achieving longevity more than any other possible decision.

3. It may not be very realistic given the rapid falling prices on 4K to imagine you won't be tempted to upgrade that in the next 4 years and it would change up everything.

4. "run new games on high settings" - in many ways game design tech advances is driven by consoles and the new cycle of games will be 4K and HDR based on the new console cycle of 2019/2020.

24 minutes ago, DevTech said:

The thread quickly devolved into a Babble of Rabid Monkeys...

There is NO sense in a review of the answers that anyone gave any consideration to your actual objective.

YOUR OBJECTIVE:

1. "I am looking for something that will run my oculus rift fine, along with games on high settings that will at least keep up for several more years."

2.  "to run new games that come out next year on high settings. Please note I play on an HD monitor no 4k or anything like that."

Some things to consider:

1. It is hard to predict tech for "several more years" (is that 4 years?) but it is certainly sensible when looking to get good value to consider the overall "return on investment" for any purchase and longevity is a huge part of that value. Certainly worth more thought than we have seen so far...

2. The selection of a 2060 is a bit of a paradox to the stated objective since it will limit the chances of achieving longevity more than any other possible decision.

3. It may not be very realistic given the rapid falling prices on 4K to imagine you won't be tempted to upgrade that in the next 4 years and it would change up everything.

4. "run new games on high settings" - in many ways game design tech advances is driven by consoles and the new cycle of games will be 4K and HDR based on the new console cycle of 2019/2020.

As far as babbling, what's your excuse?  You could have just said "Yes, that will work."  Because it will.  He already has the 2060, so that's moot.  @Nick ChappleYour build should be good to go for a while, and bang for buck is pretty solid.

44 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

As far as babbling, what's your excuse?  You could have just said "Yes, that will work."  Because it will.  He already has the 2060, so that's moot.  @Nick ChappleYour build should be good to go for a while, and bang for buck is pretty solid.

He's always long winded. Take it with a grain of salt.

2 hours ago, farmeunit said:

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

He's always long winded. Take it with a grain of salt.

Are you guys channeling the comedy spirit of Charlie Chaplin?

Everyone is ranting back and forth in a completely useless discussion about a power supply like arranging deck chairs on the Titantic while completely ignoring the main thrust of the OP's ACTUAL OBJECTIVE.

And after making it real easy for you by writing it out in plain text, it is still ignored.

So I'll repeat it again: "games on high settings that will at least keep up for several more years"

There is NOTHING about his proposed hardware config that gives me ANY confidence it will play state of the art games at full settings in 5 years!

So why on earth would I say "yes that will work" when it obviously WILL NOT?

And the chance that the OP will be tempted to consider 4K in the next 5 years is HIGH. And should be pointed out for consideration. 

... now run along kids and go back to arguing about the power supply...

39 minutes ago, DevTech said:

... now run along kids and go back to arguing about the power supply...

Wasn't fighting. His reasoning was just half baked...

On 3/14/2019 at 1:33 PM, Mindovermaster said:

You have to count in other parts as well... Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD(s), etc... GFX cards are the most power hungry, yes, but not the only thing you are powering.

You and I added those into consideration.. the others must have figured everything but the vid card ran on thoughts n prayers.  😂

Just using what OP posted.. and since he didn't add HDDs/SSDs/USB devices.. I took a stab at a "general" config.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 CL15 1.2V DIMM
2x7200RPM SATA drives
1xBR Drive
2xUSB 3.1 devices
2xUSB Keyboard/Mouse devices
1x120mm fan
1x80mm fan (CPU)
1x27in Monitor
Not included:  PCI/E or PCI expansion cards at nearly 25 to 30W apiece.
Always on config.

Minimum PSU 500W ($50)

We recommended is at least a 850W ($80)

Others recommended a 650W which leaves little room, but they want you to spend more in the future for another one.  The 150W left over will dwindle considerably adding PCI cards, or additional USB/SATA devices.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Not trying to press anyone into buying something they don't need, but $55 now, and then $85 in the future.. for an upgraded PSU doesn't make sense.

11 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Wasn't fighting. His reasoning was just half baked...

3 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Let's keep in mind what OP asked for. 😁

2 hours ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

You and I added those into consideration.. the others must have figured everything but the vid card ran on thoughts n prayers.  😂

Just using what OP posted.. and since he didn't add HDDs/SSDs/USB devices.. I took a stab at a "general" config.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 CL15 1.2V DIMM
2x7200RPM SATA drives
1xBR Drive
2xUSB 3.1 devices
2xUSB Keyboard/Mouse devices
1x120mm fan
1x80mm fan (CPU)
1x27in Monitor
Not included:  PCI/E or PCI expansion cards at nearly 25 to 30W apiece.
Always on config.

Minimum PSU 500W ($50)

We recommended is at least a 850W ($80)

Others recommended a 650W which leaves little room, but they want you to spend more in the future for another one.  The 150W left over will dwindle considerably adding PCI cards, or additional USB/SATA devices.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Not trying to press anyone into buying something they don't need, but $55 now, and then $85 in the future.. for an upgraded PSU doesn't make sense.

The OP is asking a HARD QUESTION, which is to predict the next few years of gaming development and then measure that against his desire for running new games at the highest settings and see what sort of config might handle that.

Being the future, we will need to return to this thread in 4 or 5 years and see how close we got to "highest settings"

So let's keep in mind that computer years are like "doggie years" and a lot can happen...

For the PSU, it might need to power a second GPU card and perhaps a CPU upgrade so some headroom would seem to be indicated although many components are trending downwards in power requirements (and a sub-.10 silicon process might even be common then.) So, 850 seems like it would cover the trends there...

I would suggest that far more important as an issue a few years from now will be the 2060 which will be "long in teeth" when NVIDIA's 5XXX series (or whatever they name it) will be driving game development. So he has to either sell the 2060 now and get more longevity from a SLI capable RTX 2080 Ti or else go with an unbalanced  CPU-HEAVY system that will take a RTXXX 4060 in a few years (or whatever they might call it) or both.

For CPU there is just NO WAY you can use "Ryzen 5 2600" and "Longevity" in the same sentence! If one likes Ryzen's Zen 2 microarchitecture then the Ryzen Threadripper 2920X would be a much better selection for future proofing longevity since it provides a VERY SIGNIFICANT set of 64 PCIe lanes over the limited 24 lanes of the standard Ryzen series.

Look, nobody here can really be wrong here in predicting the progression of games in the many doggie years between now and then, (until you edit this post in 5 years!) but focusing on the PSU instead of the critical GPU and CPU is a tad myopic and means all your wonderful thinking power is just spinning wheels...

Not really a hard question ... what is the best for his budget.  Though he didn't list a dollar amount ... based on his list in the OP is appears to be around 600 bucks.  Maybe @Nick Chapple can confirm the dollar amount.

He already has a 2060 ... so suggestions should be around that.

While overemphasis has been revolving around the PSU (where 650 is just fine) ... surprised no one has pointed out the case.  A $130 case for a budget build?  I would think you get a much cheaper case and put that savings elsewhere ... maybe something like ...

https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-ATX-Tower-FD-CA-Focus-BK-W/dp/B071SHFRTP?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_7030801011

...and with that ~$60 bucks in savings you could get a small nvme ssd for the OS ... something like ... https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-FORCE-MP300-240GB-Storage/dp/B07D98DZ38

...or take that savings and throw in a few more bucks and get a Ryzen 2700. 

Point is .... the OP is spending too much on a case.

Obviously ... the case needs to meet the OPs requirements (number of HDDs, SSDs, optical drives, etc).

Edit:  I take it back ... Mockingbird did list a cheaper case in his pcpartpicker list.  The Corsair Carbide 100R ... which is almost 90 bucks cheaper than the Roswell case.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Carbide-100R-Mid-Tower-Case/dp/B00RORBQNW

16 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Not really a hard question ... what is the best for his budget.  Though he didn't list a dollar amount ... based on his list in the OP is appears to be around 600 bucks.  Maybe @Nick Chapple can confirm the dollar amount.

While overemphasis has been revolving around the PSU (where 650 is just fine) ... surprised no one has pointed out the case.  A $130 case for a budget build?  I would think you get a much cheaper case and put that savings elsewhere ... maybe something like ...

https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-ATX-Tower-FD-CA-Focus-BK-W/dp/B071SHFRTP?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_7030801011

...and with that ~$60 bucks in savings you could get a small nvme ssd for the OS ... something like ... https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-FORCE-MP300-240GB-Storage/dp/B07D98DZ38

Obviously ... the case needs to meet the OPs requirements (number of HDDs, SSDs, optical drives, etc).

Edit:  I take it back ... Mockingbird did list a cheaper case in his pcpartpicker list.  The Corsair Carbide 100R ... which is almost 90 bucks cheaper than the Roswell case.

Cases are a personal preference. Could be he just likes it.

I have several CM HAF cases as well as Fractal Design.

It all depends on what he NEEDs. USB2/3/3.1/USB-C, speaker/mic, depends on how much room he needs for mobo, HDDs, SSD, cable management and UPMOST the look.

27 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Cases are a personal preference. Could be he just likes it.

I have several CM HAF cases as well as Fractal Design.

It all depends on what he NEEDs. USB2/3/3.1/USB-C, speaker/mic, depends on how much room he needs for mobo, HDDs, SSD, cable management and UPMOST the look.

🙄

No kidding.  However, he asked for "suggestions to possibly save a few bucks or anything here I can replace that's maybe more optimal " and "budget trying to get the most bang for my buck" ... if his original case was a "done deal" then he shouldn't have listed it for critique.  Since he did list it ... I'm going to suggest he spends less on a case and use the savings on components which will make the computer "more optimal" ... like a NVMe PCIe SSD or a faster CPU.

I've already stated your last line  ... "Obviously ... the case needs to meet the OPs requirements (number of HDDs, SSDs, optical drives, etc)."

Last I checked ... looks of a case doesn't impact performance (thermals aside).  Maybe I'm wrong?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tl;dr ... your post wasn't helpful.

There a reason he is buying from Amazon and not newegg? Newegg normally has better deals. When I ordered my new system, I did a comparison from Amazon vs Newegg. Newegg was actually cheaper. He (we?) should do a side-by-side comparison.

6 hours ago, Jim K said:

That is TOTALLY absurd.

The hard part of the question is predicting the future.

Everyone, including you is looking at current tech and discussing what current component is cheaper than another one and might still work for CURRENT GAMING.

The OP has requested that in the FUTURE that instead of the usual accommodation we all do of reducing visual settings a bit every year when the new more demanding games come out and then give up in disgust and doing an upgrade, that he wants to run the games coming out a few years from now at the HIGHEST SETTINGS.

That makes this an interesting problem instead of a boring exercise in Shopping List Comparison.

5 hours ago, Jim K said:

🙄

No kidding.  However, he asked for "suggestions to possibly save a few bucks or anything here I can replace that's maybe more optimal " and "budget trying to get the most bang for my buck" ... if his original case was a "done deal" then he shouldn't have listed it for critique.  Since he did list it ... I'm going to suggest he spends less on a case and use the savings on components which will make the computer "more optimal" ... like a NVMe PCIe SSD or a faster CPU.

Yes, I would bolt all the pieces to a piece of plywood if it meant the difference of getting NVMe, faster CPU, GPU etc.

And if the OP is just drinking coolaid on his desire to run HIGHEST SETTINGS on FUTURE GAMES, then in that anemic current configuration he has, he should get a decent PSU - such as any of the EVGAs that use SuperFlower internals or else Seasonic.

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

That is TOTALLY absurd.

The hard part of the question is predicting the future.

Everyone, including you is looking at current tech and discussing what current component is cheaper than another one and might still work for CURRENT GAMING.

The OP has requested that in the FUTURE that instead of the usual accommodation we all do of reducing visual settings a bit every year when the new more demanding games come out and then give up in disgust and doing an upgrade, that he wants to run the games coming out a few years from now at the HIGHEST SETTINGS.

That makes this an interesting problem instead of a boring exercise in Shopping List Comparison.

What is totally absurd?  You have to work with people's budget ... not everyone has thousands of dollars to "future proof."

Though the OP didn't list a dollar amount ... he stated in his original post "As I am on a budget" and that his listed system for review was around $600.  

So ... while I agree with your previous comments on hammering on about a PSU was a bit ridiculous ... your prior suggestion of a 2920X was, as you put it, "totally absurd."  

"Everyone, including you is looking at current tech and discussing what current component is cheaper"  ... no ... I'm discussing what he can get within his budget.  

Of course, he hasn't responded in awhile ... so all of this might be for not anyway.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jim K said:

What is totally absurd?  You have to work with people's budget ... not everyone has thousands of dollars to "future proof."

Though the OP didn't list a dollar amount ... he stated in his original post "As I am on a budget" and that his listed system for review was around $600.  

So ... while I agree with your previous comments on hammering on about a PSU was a bit ridiculous ... your prior suggestion of a 2920X was, as you put it, "totally absurd."  

"Everyone, including you is looking at current tech and discussing what current component is cheaper"  ... no ... I'm discussing what he can get within his budget.  

Of course, he hasn't responded in awhile ... so all of this might be for not anyway.

I can't help it if he has constructed a Fantasy Budget!

His objective is stated clearly and is very easy to understand.

You ignore his tech objective and focus on his budget objective which is OK since it is Impossible to meet both but really man, his budget objective is a BORING  run of the mill low to middle end not interesting activity of picky shopping lists and his tech objective is a challenging speculation into the tech of future proofing/longevity BUT with some sense of VALUE taken into consideration...

i.e. what is the lowest cost config with decent longevity for HIGHEST SETTINGS on the new greatest games in a few years??

Hence the 2920x since IMO we are already running into serious PCIe Lane Starvation which will only get worse in the next few years...

IMHO, that is WORTHY of much discussion, not the nit-picking I have seen so far...

But so far, the facts seem to support the idea that most humans Really Enjoy Nit-Picking over tech analysis, so if that's more fun here, I should probably just sit back and try to enjoy it...

17 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I can't help it if he has constructed a Fantasy Budget!

His objective is stated clearly and is very easy to understand.

You ignore his tech objective and focus on his budget objective which is OK since it is Impossible to meet both but really man, his budget objective is a BORING  run of the mill low to middle end not interesting activity of picky shopping lists and his tech objective is a challenging speculation into the tech of future proofing/longevity BUT with some sense of VALUE taken into consideration...

i.e. what is the lowest cost config with decent longevity for HIGHEST SETTINGS on the new greatest games in a few years??

Hence the 2920x since IMO we are already running into serious PCIe Lane Starvation which will only get worse in the next few years...

IMHO, that is WORTHY of much discussion, not the nit-picking I have seen so far...

But so far, the facts seem to support the idea that most humans Really Enjoy Nit-Picking over tech analysis, so if that's more fun here, I should probably just sit back and try to enjoy it...

Well ... he asked about his build.  His build his fine ... aside from ... IMO ... the $130 Rosewell case.  Speaking of the Rosewell case ... I hadn't realized they made cases that expensive until I clicked his Amazon links (to get an idea of his budget).

...and no ... I didn't ignore his tech objective.  Which is why I suggested a cheaper case and use those savings for a 2700 or a NVMe PCIe SSD.  Even still ... a 2600 will probably do good for another 5 or 10 years.  Plenty of people are still using CPUs from almost 8-10 years ago.  

Anyway ... people have budgets and you can either make suggestions around that budget ... or make suggestions which far exceed their budget which doesn't help them.

5 minutes ago, Jim K said:

or make suggestions which far exceed their budget which doesn't help them.

Of course it helps them! I can't think of a better help we can provide people than open their eyes to the pros and cons of their tech choices!

He likes "VALUE" and value does NOT mean the cheapest budget. If he states a tech objective that is incongruent to his budget ideas then the RESPONSIBLE choice is to point out that he MUST change his budget if he wants to meet his tech OBJECTIVE or else change his tech objective!

Everyone can change a budget by just waiting longer! Everyone can change a tech objective by just accepting less. Why not present choices when a desire has been stated?

On the other hand, some people are just plain old cheapskates that get a real pleasure out of saving pennies and compensate for the real world deficiencies in their equipment by living in a self-justified fantasy world of "it didn't matter anyway, for those savings I can live with xxx" and if that's the REAL OBJECTIVE then we seem to be doing fine here...

If the Real Objective is to have people approve of his current config of obviously NOT future-proof system and then tell him "Don't you worry none, hon, when you install your copy of CyberPunk 2077 The Game of the Year Enhanced Super-HD REMAKE in 2024, everything will be just fine, cause it will easily run at 20 fps at 800x600 which is sort of a high setting if you squint your eyes a bit" then we've nailed it!

https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-release-date

Disclaimer: the anticipated release date of 2019/2021 might actually end up being later, which would also push back the release date of my spoofed non-existent "Game of the Year Enhanced Super-HD REMAKE" highest settings killer version!

18 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Of course it helps them! I can't think of a better help we can provide people than open their eyes to the pros and cons of their tech choices!

He likes "VALUE" and value does NOT mean the cheapest budget. If he states a tech objective that is incongruent to his budget ideas then the RESPONSIBLE choice is to point out that he MUST change his budget if he wants to meet his tech OBJECTIVE or else change his tech objective!

Everyone can change a budget by just waiting longer! Everyone can change a tech objective by just accepting less. Why not present choices when a desire has been stated?

On the other hand, some people are just plain old cheapskates that get a real pleasure out of saving pennies and compensate for the real world deficiencies in their equipment by living in a self-justified fantasy world of "it didn't matter anyway, for those savings I can live with xxx" and if that's the REAL OBJECTIVE then we seem to be doing fine here...

If the Real Objective is to have people approve of his current config of obviously NOT future-proof system and then tell him "Don't you worry none, hon, when you install your copy of CyberPunk 2077 The Game of the Year Enhanced Super-HD REMAKE in 2024, everything will be just fine, cause it will easily run at 20 fps at 800x600 which is sort of a high setting if you squint your eyes a bit" then we've nailed it!

https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-release-date

Disclaimer: the anticipated release date of 2019/2021 might actually end up being later, which would also push back the release date of my spoofed non-existent "Game of the Year Enhanced Super-HD REMAKE" highest settings killer version!

It doesn't help them if they can not afford it...neither one of us know his financial situation or how long it takes him to acquire his resources.  He already bought the GPU .. have to build around that within his budget.  Basically, he is wanting a Mustang and you're suggesting a Porsche...which he can not afford now and possibly can not afford a few years from now.  So, I'm guessing since he cannot buy the Porsche now he should stick with his Pinto?  So to speak...

Obviously, through all of this you could have listed out your suggested system instead of criticizing other peoples suggestions as "absurd" 

Not sure how our back and forth is constructive for the OP anyway ... so I'm done unless he replies.