Need help building new PC

8 minutes ago, Jim K said:

It doesn't help them if they can not afford it...neither one of us know his financial situation or how long it takes him to acquire his resources.  He already bought the GPU .. have to build around that within his budget.  Basically, he is wanting a Mustang and you're suggesting a Porsche...which he can not afford now and possibly can not afford a few years from now.  So, I'm guessing since he cannot buy the Porsche now he should stick with his Pinto?  So to speak...

Obviously, through all of this you could have listed out your suggested system instead of criticizing other peoples suggestions as "absurd" 

Not sure how our back and forth is constructive for the OP anyway ... so I'm done unless he replies.

You are making just as many assumptions about his unknown desires concerning tradeoffs as I am.

But actually, I was not even suggesting any parts other than the kind of part that might make a difference toward achieving his stated objective!

From my point of view, which of course is mine, I am being far more responsive to his objective than you are.

I also don't see why we need to have the OP around to speculate of what a Budget Future Proof Gaming System might look like, a fantastic subject that has caught nobodies interest!

So it goes...

Thank you everyone for the input lol.

I saw a nice suggestion for a case I think I may pick, will upgrade the PSU you a bit and also saw a nice suggestion for another MB that's a bit cheaper that will surely help!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick Chapple said:

Thank you everyone for the input lol.

I saw a nice suggestion for a case I think I may pick, will upgrade the PSU you a bit and also saw a nice suggestion for another MB that's a bit cheaper that will surely help!

Hey, glad you enjoyed it!

It was a fun ride here and there and inspired me to make a thread in case anyone wanted to discuss future-proofing computers:

For PSU, I suggested any EVGA rebrand of SuperFlower PSUs (EVGA like most PSU brands does not design their own power supplies)

And Seasonic, a Japanese company that is one of the few well know brands that actually design and build their own stuff.

650/700 is fine for your current config, 750,800,850 get you some future proofing but since SLI will not be possible and CPU power usage goes down with each process reduction, a quality power supply is far more vital than a larger PSU.

SuperFlower and Seasonic make the best PSUs in the human universe right now,

Oh, the wonder of the internet!

Here is a website that tracks which PSU is inside each of EVGA's model lines:

http://www.orionpsudb.com/evga

It details other brands as well:

http://www.orionpsudb.com

So, to my surprise EVGA is now using some Seasonic designs as well as SuperFlower in some models.

And Seasonic still exclusively uses Seasonic (I've always been worried they would be tempted to create a cheapo line with noname Chinese stuff)

----------

When you look at prices keep in mind that the quality of the Seasonic and SuperFlower PSU is so high that you don't need as large a power rating as cheapo PSUs

650/700 is fine for your current config, 750,800,850 get you some future proofing but since SLI will not be possible and CPU power usage goes down with each process reduction, a quality power supply is far more vital than a larger PSU.

Didn't mean to get everyone's boxer shorts in a twist by suggesting a "future proof" PSU.  Although the conversation took a quick turn in to "well, it would be better with.. " such and such, I find it interesting that the last few comments rolled right back around once the OP took on a few of the suggestions posted.

Not sure who posted about a POS PSU, but it wasn't mine.  I suggested 850W as a target for the future, and "have it if you need it".. and nothing less than Gold certified.  Circuits only draw what they need.. so saying someone only needs 650W for a system, and 850W would be a waste, may need to brush up on just how circuits actually use electricity.

Curious as to why the thought "SLI will not be possible" as a definitive statement, when it only applies to the mention of the 2060/ 2070 video cards.  He may want to upgrade that and be ready for SLI.

CPU power consumption going down?  Hardly.  For ex: The Pentium 3 series CPUs started in the 30/35W range (lowest E series at 16W) and ended with the Pentium Extreme at 130W.. , but most CPUs at 11nm/9nm, or 7nm (adding many, many cores/threads).. still range from 95W to the 2950X's 180W TDP.  

Glad to hear you started a new thread about the future.. I don't see it was your idea primarily, but get people talking.  Some good information may come from it, as well as a few laughs.

That's one good thing about shopping around.  In particular when someone may not be too familiar with who's who in the ball game.  I personally made the MSI motherboard choice, because with the same options on a motherboard, same specs, same thrills.. there's no reason to pay an additional $20/40 unless it's a personal choice.  And, MSI is a major player in the motherboard world.

A case should be what you need it to be.  My old Aspire server tower has seen the Athlon XP 1400 (to upgrades stopping at the 3200XP) CPUs.. motherboards from MicroATX to E-ATX.. to my current FX series set up.  350W PSUs to my 850W.  It's no good for SSDs unless their 3.5" (without adapters).. and water cooling would have to be external, but she's lasted me over 15 years.

Glad to hear you got the suggestions you needed.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 4:37 AM, xMorpheousx416 said:

CPU power consumption going down?  Hardly.  For ex: The Pentium 3 series CPUs started in the 30/35W range (lowest E series at 16W) and ended with the Pentium Extreme at 130W.. , but most CPUs at 11nm/9nm, or 7nm (adding many, many cores/threads).. still range from 95W to the 2950X's 180W TDP.  

Glad to hear you started a new thread about the future.. I don't see it was your idea primarily, but get people talking.  Some good information may come from it, as well as a few laughs.

Yeah process shrink, power goes down. Add more cores, power goes up. There is just a feeling right now that we might have not get much more power usage in general, but I would love to see super-cheap 50 core CPUs and they can hog as much power as they want as long as I can afford them!

13 minutes ago, josephdfox5 said:

Processor (CPU) The processor, or Central Processing Unit, is the brain of the PC. ...

Motherboards. ...

Video Card/Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) ...

Memory/RAM. ...

Storage. ...

Cases. ...

Power Supply Unit (PSU) ...

CPU Heatsink/Fan.

I think he knows that, bro. ;)

58 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think he knows that, bro. ;)

He forgot the optional extras:

If you live in California, you need a case with a glowing fruit on it...

If you live in Texas, all cases must come with a gun rack

If you live in Washington, D.C. the motherboard must have both an Intel CPU and an AMD CPU, same with the GPU so you can claim to be Bi-Partisan...

If you live in Antarctica, you can skip the CPU cooler.

If you live in England, your Computer can't decide if it wants to leave you or not, so you better add a GPS locater just in case, in the case.

Did I miss any?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, DevTech said:

If you live in England, your Computer can't decide if it wants to leave you or not, so you better add a GPS locater just in case, in the case.

it wanted to leave but wasn't allowed to because of backstop clause  in the EULA.. :whistle:

20 hours ago, josephdfox5 said:

Processor (CPU) The processor, or Central Processing Unit, is the brain of the PC. ...

Motherboards. ...

Video Card/Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) ...

Memory/RAM. ...

Storage. ...

Cases. ...

Power Supply Unit (PSU) ...

CPU Heatsink/Fan.

you forgot the RGB...need a good few watts for all the shiny lights!