Is it worth buying a cable modem as opposed to renting?

I've been paying $60 per month for only a 50 mbps cable internet. In that $60 includes a $10 equipment rental charge plus tax. Despite only giving me 50 mbps, the cable company always tries to increase my bill twice a year. At the end of the year, they like to increase the equipment charge and surcharges. I call them to fight and get the bill down. Then a few months later. they increase the rate of the internet service. Again, I got to fight again.

I'm getting sick of this and while I can't eliminate this headache, I feel like I can mitigate it by getting my own modem and return the one I'm renting from the cable company. I can knock that bill down by $10 a month.

Does anyone else feel it's worth buying a cable modem as opposed to renting? Are there any caveats that I need to be aware of?

I almost always buy my own equipment.  Especially cable modems. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100158108 600441867&IsNodeId=1&Description=cable modem&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

Just get a DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 unit, which most are.  As for best models, it's been a while since I have used them as I had Google Fiber and now AT&T.  Arris was popular with the ISPs.  Or Motorola.  

I like TP-Links networking stuff, so assume that their cable modems should be good.  Some ISPs have self-registration, but I have had to call cable companies and give them the serial number or MAC address (can't remember which) off the unit.

If you're going to have that rental for more than a year, it's typically worth it to just buy your own modem. $10 is ridiculous, especially when you can by a DOCSIS3 modem for 30 bucks now.

Purchasing a DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 cable pays for itself in a year or less in avoided lease fees - I bought mine two years ago and it paid itself off in less than a year.

Edited by dipsylalapo
Removed off topic quote.

Yeah buy your own!!!  Unless you were going to be moving changing ISP in a few months, the modem will pay for itself in a few months... Even if you buy the highest end model of current 3.1 in like a year will have paid for itself in your rental savings.

Only thing I would suggest is make sure its on your isp "approved" list.. Not saying it won't work if not on their list - but if not, they can always point the finger at your modem not being approved and thats why your having issue xyz, etc.

And you prob want to stay away from any models on this list https://www.badmodems.com/

If possible - I got a 6190, that is listed as being bad.. But with some firmware updates pushed have not had any issues with it at all..

38 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yeah buy your own!!!  Unless you were going to be moving changing ISP in a few months, the modem will pay for itself in a few months... Even if you buy the highest end model of current 3.1 in like a year will have paid for itself in your rental savings.

Only thing I would suggest is make sure its on your isp "approved" list.. Not saying it won't work if not on their list - but if not, they can always point the finger at your modem not being approved and thats why your having issue xyz, etc.

And you prob want to stay away from any models on this list https://www.badmodems.com/

If possible - I got a 6190, that is listed as being bad.. But with some firmware updates pushed have not had any issues with it at all..

The modems I suggest - Arris SB-6183 or above, or the Netgear modem/router (the ONLY modem/router I recommend at all - that is entirely due to the telephony suppport).  I have the SB-6183 (while it is only DOCSIS 3.0, I bought it before the SB-6190 became available, and is the lowest-end 3.0 cable modem I recommend, and is on all the US cable companies' approved list).

5 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

The modems I suggest - Arris SB-6183 or above, or the Netgear modem/router (the ONLY modem/router I recommend at all - that is entirely due to the telephony suppport).  I have the SB-6183 (while it is only DOCSIS 3.0, I bought it before the SB-6190 became available, and is the lowest-end 3.0 cable modem I recommend, and is on all the US cable companies' approved list).

I'm going to jump on this one and say DO NOT buy a SB-6190 they are PUMA 6 chipset modems and have major latency issues (look into it)... avoid PUMA 6 chipsets like the plague... look for broadcom chipsets

SB-6183 is broadcom but only a 16x4 modem I believe?

Anyways if you buy a modem today buy a DOCSIS 3.1 modem it will future proof you for a good number of years

If you want something solid and budget friendly, go with a Netgear CM500.  It's about $50 and consistently rated as one of the best.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-CM500-1AZNAS-download-Certified-Cablevision/dp/B06XH46MWW/

Unless you plan on getting Gigabit service, a 3.1 modem probably isn't worth paying a premium for.

I too if was buying today would not buy 6190... I only got it because it was only one that could do my 500mbps tier on their "approved" lists.. And research I had done showed that the issues with it not as bad to be made out to be.. By time I was in market for it - firmware had already been released, etc.

But yeah now they have the CM8200A on the list I would get that one now if this one died, or was seeing the issues that have been reported... Which I have not..

Reason I pointed out that I had gotten one on the list - is while wouldn't be my first choice for something on that list.. If only one listed on their approved list is also on the badmodem list - you might not have any issues with it, etc. etc.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:25 PM, Astra.Xtreme said:

If you want something solid and budget friendly, go with a Netgear CM500.  It's about $50 and consistently rated as one of the best.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-CM500-1AZNAS-download-Certified-Cablevision/dp/B06XH46MWW/

Unless you plan on getting Gigabit service, a 3.1 modem probably isn't worth paying a premium for.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered it. It will probably be a while before it arrives since I am using Free Shipping without Prime, but I'll wait. That modem has a $10 coupon so my entire purchase was less than $50, which is a steal.

The good news is that my cable company has the option of returning equipment via a prepaid FedEx label so that makes things easier. The only hassle is calling my cable company to provide them the MAC address so they can add the modem to my account. Sometimes, they put you on hold for a while, which can be a pain.

• Like 1

Check to see if they have a self registration option.. When I have replaced modem in the past.. Only place you could go once you connected new modem was the self registration no matter where you tried to go, etc.

Yes, buy your own like others said.  $60 or so for the modem while you will be paying $120 a year for the rental.  Only benefit you get from the rental is they will replace it if it goes bad.  But if you buy a quality modem, you won't have to worry about that.

My parents were renting their modem and paying $12 per month.  I got them to buy their own as well. 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:59 AM, PGHammer said:

I got the ARRIS SB6183 as well.  Never had a problem with it and works great.  I forgot which model ARRIS I got for my parents as it has been several years.

10 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Check to see if they have a self registration option.. When I have replaced modem in the past.. Only place you could go once you connected new modem was the self registration no matter where you tried to go, etc.

Mine was self registration as well.  I called Comcast, activated the service, and then when I plugged in the modem, I was router to register the modem.  Was simple/quick and I did not have to deal with calling support.