Help with part lookup for Yoga 720-15IKB case

I had an issue with my Yoga 720-15IKB keyboard (US), so arranged with the Lenovo warranty program to have a technician come over and fix it. He did the job, but I noticed only afterwards that he put in a upper case cover with a color that didn't match the computer I had warrantied with Lenovo. I had an Iron Grey (as it says on the order, and on the box) and a silver was put in instead. So; I contacted Lenovo again to see if this could be fixed, since it seemed it should be simple enough. They said okay, but then sent another guy with a silver cover, and then he called in about it, and the third guy came in with silver again, and so he called in, and I'm waiting on another phone call.

The problem seems to be they don't have a part number for it. I don't have the original cover anymore so they couldn't cross-reference it. 

I can't find it by Google, although I can find PNs to other Iron Grey parts or for other Yoga line laptops. I just did a part number lookup on Lenovo's site and I don't even see Iron Grey, just Silver and GM, which I assume is Gunmetal? What's the difference between Iron Grey and Gunmetal Grey?

At any rate; again, it seems it should be a simple issue to resolve, so if anyone could help me get the part number I need, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

46 minutes ago, redfish said:

I had an issue with my Yoga 720-15IKB keyboard (US), so arranged with the Lenovo warranty program to have a technician come over and fix it. He did the job, but I noticed only afterwards that he put in a upper case cover with a color that didn't match the computer I had warrantied with Lenovo. I had an Iron Grey (as it says on the order, and on the box) and a silver was put in instead. So; I contacted Lenovo again to see if this could be fixed, since it seemed it should be simple enough. They said okay, but then sent another guy with a silver cover, and then he called in about it, and the third guy came in with silver again, and so he called in, and I'm waiting on another phone call.

The problem seems to be they don't have a part number for it. I don't have the original cover anymore so they couldn't cross-reference it. 

I can't find it by Google, although I can find PNs to other Iron Grey parts or for other Yoga line laptops. I just did a part number lookup on Lenovo's site and I don't even see Iron Grey, just Silver and GM, which I assume is Gunmetal? What's the difference between Iron Grey and Gunmetal Grey?

At any rate; again, it seems it should be a simple issue to resolve, so if anyone could help me get the part number I need, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

You will discover that ebay is a wealth of information for stuff like this.

You can also try Alibaba.

12 minutes ago, DevTech said:

You will discover that ebay is a wealth of information for stuff like this.

You can also try Alibaba.

I tried on eBay. I found back cases in Iron Grey but not upper cases, I found a Yoga 730 upper case in Iron Grey, but not 720. I found some old references on Google, but when you go to the site (normal or cached) it doesn't show up. Not sure why. The technician couldn't find it either. I'm sure the PN exists, I just can't find it.

Just looked on Alibaba, can't find any search results.

At any rate, I was hoping someone here might have some other idea, or have other resources they could check.

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Did you try craigslist, too? To add to DevTech.

No, but I just did and that doesn't seem to be bringing up anything useful ,either.

26 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Did you try craigslist, too? To add to DevTech.

I don't think he wants to actually buy it.

He just wants a part number to give to Lenovo since Lenovo themselves are totally confused like most giant corps after that have your hard earned money transferred from your pocket to theirs....

8 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Here is Gun Metal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-for-Lenovo-Yoga-720-15-720-15IKB-Palmrest-Upper-Case-Keyboard-Bezel-Black/283010614683?hash=item41e4bf459b:g:4nYAAOSw3FBbJOdt

Which is being sold as "Black"

So maybe Iron Grey has been renamed to Gun Metal?

And they all look like subtle variations on silver despite the naming...

No, Iron Grey is a dark kind of color that isn't represented by the picture there. I'm guessing gun metal is, too, but I'm not sure what the difference is. I do think they're different so don't want to place my bet on the wrong thing.

9 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I don't think he wants to actually buy it.

He just wants a part number to give to Lenovo since Lenovo themselves are totally confused like most giant corps after that have your hard earned money transferred from your pocket to theirs....

They might have the part number, who knows. He tried it and failed. Move on...

2 minutes ago, redfish said:

No, Iron Grey is a dark kind of color that isn't represented by the picture there. I'm guessing gun metal is, too, but I'm not sure what the difference is. I do think they're different so don't want to place my bet on the wrong thing.

Yeah, I can't believe I am paying attention to laptop color schemes, but the Iron Grey model appears to be discontinued while some places are still selling silver which maybe explains the easy availability of that part.

It's not like Lenovo actually would make the part itself so you might be out of luck if whatever production run in whatever nameless Chinese company made the part is over and done with. That would explain the vanishing of a part number perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

They might have the part number, who knows. He tried it and failed. Move on...

I like to help people. I'm feeling extra Forest Gumpyness today...

7 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Yeah, I can't believe I am paying attention to laptop color schemes, but the Iron Grey model appears to be discontinued while some places are still selling silver which maybe explains the easy availability of that part.

It's not like Lenovo actually would make the part itself so you might be out of luck if whatever production run in whatever nameless Chinese company made the part is over and done with. That would explain the vanishing of a part number perhaps.

Okay well that would be disappointing but I guess I'll find out.

9 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I like to help people. I'm feeling extra Forest Gumpyness today...

Stupid is as stupid does...

20 minutes ago, redfish said:

Okay well that would be disappointing but I guess I'll find out.

19 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Stupid is as stupid does...

Ok, here is what I have decoded so far:

Silver: AM1YU000210:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Laptop-PalmRest-For-Lenovo-YOGA-720-15IKB-UK-Layout-AM1YU000210-Fingerprint-Without-Touchpad-New-Original/815252_32854908271.html

Black: AM1YU000200:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-Cover-Upper-Case-for-Lenovo-Yoga-720-15-AM1YU000200-Black/32829349618.html

My hypothesis is the the color listed by Chinese sellers as Black is actually Iron Grey

The part of the part number for color appears to be second to last

And at this point, I'll go with @Mindovermaster's advice...

@DevTech

Okay thanks for your help. I saw some references to black and I was wondering about that, same as the gunmetal.

If anyone else comes across the thread and can confirm that or has any other leads let me know. It'll be appreciated.

52 minutes ago, redfish said:

@DevTech

Okay thanks for your help. I saw some references to black and I was wondering about that, same as the gunmetal.

If anyone else comes across the thread and can confirm that or has any other leads let me know. It'll be appreciated.

The photo of the AM1YU000200 sure as heck is NOT actually Black, which leaves only Iron Grey and sure as heck looks like the other Iron Grey pics I came across, so If you give that part number to your Lenovo technician, he can at least look it up in his system....

Or you can tell everyone, you paid extra for a custom Two Tone Special Edition....

10 minutes ago, DevTech said:

The photo of the AM1YU000200 sure as heck is NOT actually Black, which leaves only Iron Grey and sure as heck looks like the other Iron Grey pics I came across, so If you give that part number to your Lenovo technician, he can at least look it up in his system....

Or you can tell everyone, you paid extra for a custom Two Tone Special Edition....

😆

What's gunmetal grey then?

I don't know, the technician also asked me if it was a special edition, but I don't think so. If you look up yoga 720 iron grey its mentioned a lot.

20 minutes ago, redfish said:

😆

What's gunmetal grey then?

I don't know, the technician also asked me if it was a special edition, but I don't think so. If you look up yoga 720 iron grey its mentioned a lot.

Sorry, I was just joking about how by accident the Lenovo technician has essentially given you a special edition that nobody else has.

Previous models had a real black that you can see is actually black but the Chinese photo of the current "Black" part for your laptop has just got to be Iron Grey.

Iron Grey was the original popular color for that unit near as I can tell which is why you probably can't get it anymore.

Traditionally, from an art design point of view, "Gun Metal" is used to describe "grey with a hint of blue", so it should look like grey that is darker than Silver but lighter than Iron Grey which is a very dark Grey.

If you can get Gun Metal, it would probably look nicer than the Silver with your current Iron Grey backing.

Another option if Lenovo would go for it would be to replace the other case bits with silver.

(But that wouldn't appeal to me. I hate Silver in any electronic devices, just a distracting color when keyboards and screens should be the thing drawing the eye, but that's subjective...)

Hello,

Have you tried posting a message about this on Lenovo's own support forum? I'm thinking that fellow users who actually own the model in question can probably tell you the part number, as well as any suggestions/tips about replacing it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Have you tried posting a message about this on Lenovo's own support forum? I'm thinking that fellow users who actually own the model in question can probably tell you the part number, as well as any suggestions/tips about replacing it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes, no response there yet.

@DevTech

So what I found out is the upper case they keep sending is in fact Gunmetal, and that the hardware maintenance manuals for the 720 only show Silver, Gunmental, and Copper (though Copper isn't available for the 15" model).

On the other hand, the manuals for the 730 shows Iron Grey, Platinum, and Copper, and these were the colors available for the 720 15" when I ordered it. The second one I remember was referred to as Platinum Silver.  The manual in this case shows "IG BL" and "PT BL" and elsewhere refers to them as Iron Grey and Platinum.

I was searching around to see if there was an older copy of the 720 maintenance manual around somewhere to see if it referred to a different color scheme, but no luck.

At any rate, there's not much they can do at this point in time unless I have different luck and something else comes up.