• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

aurora r8 performance testing (2080 ti & i7 8700)

capr    36

Hi everyone, I found an amazing deal on an Alienware Aurora R8 with an RTX 2080 ti and an intel i7 8700 and bought it instead of building my own gaming pc. I want to make sure it's up to snuff but am not very experienced. I can't figure out what to tweak/upgrade and am looking for help. 

I have done some gaming and bench-marking and my benchmark scores are above average for machines running the same CPU & GPU. However, my gaming performance at 4k and 1440 is below expectation.

1. Are there a couple of generic/free tests that stress everything? I used the one from userbenchmark.com , results at here https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15471745
  2. How do I test network connectivity and stability? I am hardwired in but keep losing connection to a game server that I never experienced issues with before... (could totally be the game, Anthem has been a mess...). 
  3. My benchmarks usually look fine... (some overclocking required to get from 30th percentile to 80th in user benchmark. temps below 70 after sustained synthetic load). What else should I run?
    1. Heaven 4 at 4k with everything dialed all the way up Score 1373. FPS 54. min 8.8 max 112
    2. Superposition 4k optimized Score 11891 FPS. 88 Min 72 Max 110

Example of gaming issues whitcher 3 at Ultra barely gives me 60 FPS at 4k even outside of combat. while others online are consistently averaging 90 FPS. Similar issue at 1440 which is the resolution i actually use for gaming. 

Strangely, even when I reduce the quality of the game to low, I only get about 110 FPS at 4k in witcher 3... Am I running into some bottleneck? CPU usage isn't that high while I play the witcher 3. Similar story with Anthem and Battlefield V.

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.

Mindovermaster    1,778

If you already bought it, there isn't much we can suggest. What you got is what you have. There might be a little overclock needed, but to see the least, you are stuck with what you bought.

capr    36
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

If you already bought it, there isn't much we can suggest. What you got is what you have. There might be a little overclock needed, but to see the least, you are stuck with what you bought.

I can return it or make warranty claims if I can show that a particular piece of hardware isn't performing within norm. so please do give me relevant advice. So far, the micron memory modules are the only hardware where dell used really cheap stuff.

I did overclock the 2080 ti. running the memory at 7600 and core at 2000. I can probably push it a bit more but with the fans at 80% I can maintain a 70 degree temp. I can push it more but don't see it making a huge difference... am I wrong?

Mindovermaster    1,778
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, capr said:

I can return it or make warranty claims if I can show that a particular piece of hardware isn't performing within norm. so please do give me relevant advice. So far, the micron memory modules are the only hardware where dell used really cheap stuff.

I did overclock the 2080 ti. running the memory at 7600 and core at 2000. I can probably push it a bit more but with the fans at 80% I can maintain a 70 degree temp. I can push it more but don't see it making a huge difference... am I wrong?

If in your views it is a powerhouse, all the greater to you.

Don't base your system off benchmarks. They are just for begging rights. You'd need to compare them to other laptops to get a good idea. (Like what LinusTechTips on YT does...)

If you can play the latest AA games at a good resolution/fps, all, really, that matters...

Jim K    12,781
56 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

If in your views it is a powerhouse, all the greater to you.

Don't base your system off benchmarks. They are just for begging rights. You'd need to compare them to other laptops to get a good idea. (Like what LinusTechTips on YT does...)

If you can play the latest AA games at a good resolution/fps, all, really, that matters...

Laptops?

@capr... with regards to Witcher 3...It is hard to make a direct comparison between your fps and other users fps ... especially just a generalized "4k at Ultra."  There may be other settings which severely hamper your fps (maybe Hairworks??).  Also doesn't help that it doesn't have a built in benchmark.  Unfortunately I do not have any of the games or hardware you listed to give further advice.

Anyway, I would generally say that if your standard benchmarks are on par with other systems of similar hardware ... then it is probably your game settings (obviously be sure you have latest Nvidia drivers...not whatever is listed on Dell).  Though some may scuff at the suggestion ... have you tried the GeForce Experience recommended settings...at least as a baseline to tweak?

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,778
2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Laptops?

Oh, poop... mistyped that, oh well... really, it goes for laptops as well as desktops....

DevTech    1,517
On 3/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, Mindovermaster said:

I guess if his system really really sucks then you are correct that he is in  a "begging rights" scenario rather than "bragging rights" :)

Mindovermaster    1,778

11 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I guess if his system really really sucks then you are correct that he is in  a "begging rights" scenario rather than "bragging rights" :)

I beg to brag alot...

• Like 1