• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Surface book won't switch off

Riva    1,076

I am having a weird issue with my surface, I press shut down, shuts down and then after a few seconds it's on again! 

Brandon H    2,520

seems to be a semi-common issue with the surface book. I get a lot of results when i search on google

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=967&ei=5YCSXOXTEte70PEP3eGb2AQ&q=surface+book+turns+on+by+itself&oq=surface+book+turns+on+by&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0j0i22i30.7074.8921..9817...0.0..0.113.1159.2j9......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.Qkoi71Hwjjc

a couple of the results advise trying to clean the power button to make sure it's not sticking; but a couple others also say it could be something crashing during the shutdown process so it just power cycles and boots up again.

windows logs may confirm if it's a crashing issue; if so you may want to try a reset/reinstall to see if that helps

Mindovermaster    1,674

That sounds like a reset function...

Can you tell is what surface you have? model?

Riva    1,076
47 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That sounds like a reset function...

Can you tell is what surface you have? model?

It's a first gen surface book i5 with dgpu. I had it for three years now from new. I only noticed the issue the past two weeks when I shut down and go home only to find all my apps running the next day with the battery running out. Weird that task manager reports a big up time for the system even though I select shut down from the power menu

Mindovermaster    1,674
1 minute ago, Riva said:

It's a first gen surface book i5 with dgpu. I had it for three years now from new. I only noticed the issue the past two weeks when I shut down and go home only to find all my apps running the next day with the battery running out. Weird that task manager reports a big up time for the system even though I select shut down from the power menu

Look at Brandon's post :)

Riva    1,076
3 hours ago, Brandon H said:

seems to be a semi-common issue with the surface book. I get a lot of results when i search on google

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=967&ei=5YCSXOXTEte70PEP3eGb2AQ&q=surface+book+turns+on+by+itself&oq=surface+book+turns+on+by&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0j0i22i30.7074.8921..9817...0.0..0.113.1159.2j9......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.Qkoi71Hwjjc

a couple of the results advise trying to clean the power button to make sure it's not sticking; but a couple others also say it could be something crashing during the shutdown process so it just power cycles and boots up again.

windows logs may confirm if it's a crashing issue; if so you may want to try a reset/reinstall to see if that helps

If it was the power button it will surely turn itself off at random as well I guess? 

+DevTech    1,405
9 hours ago, Riva said:

If it was the power button it will surely turn itself off at random as well I guess? 

One issue is that it is a "standby connected" type of device that is designed to monitor the internet when it "Appears" to be turned OFF.

Try applying all windows updates and all device drivers updates from the various component websites.

Then after everything is up-to-date, right click on Windows logo and select restart. Do that again after it boots.

Then set a restore point at what should be a known good config.

Then come back and we can debug further.

Riva    1,076

Right so problem solved, I pressed and held the power button for 10 seconds to force a hardware shut down. Now works fine.

Brandon H    2,520
25 minutes ago, Riva said:

Right so problem solved, I pressed and held the power button for 10 seconds to force a hardware shut down. Now works fine.

sounds like it was an issue with the hibernation file then. a 'shutdown' in windows 10 is actually just a hibernation state; restarting/force powering off clears the state and you boot up fresh.

edit: that would also coincide with some of the reports in the google search I linked; could have been crashing while trying to go into the hibernation state causing it to cycle and boot back up instead of powering off.

+DevTech    1,405
3 hours ago, Brandon H said:

sounds like it was an issue with the hibernation file then. a 'shutdown' in windows 10 is actually just a hibernation state; restarting/force powering off clears the state and you boot up fresh.

edit: that would also coincide with some of the reports in the google search I linked; could have been crashing while trying to go into the hibernation state causing it to cycle and boot back up instead of powering off.

To be absolutely certain, he should immediately do a manual restart.

3 hours ago, Riva said:

Right so problem solved

right click on Windows logo and select restart