pc keeps rebooting when playing games

HELP! 

My pc keeps shutting down when playing more demanding games (when playing games like cs:go there are no problems but when i try to play something like Destiny2 or PUBG or GTA v  the pc reboots after some minutes in game)
So i changed the PSU 2 times! still no help then i changed the GPU and still rebooting i have a liquid cooled CPU so high temps are not the problem and tried the mem test also. Can it be a motherboard or cpu failure? Im very confused as why can i play a game like cs:go which is mostly cpu based

Thanks for any advice in advance.

22 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

HELP! 

My pc keeps shutting down when playing more demanding games (when playing games like cs:go there are no problems but when i try to play something like Destiny2 or PUBG or GTA v  the pc reboots after some minutes in game)
So i changed the PSU 2 times! still no help then i changed the GPU and still rebooting i have a liquid cooled CPU so high temps are not the problem and tried the mem test also. Can it be a motherboard or cpu failure? Im very confused as why can i play a game like cs:go which is mostly cpu based

Thanks for any advice in advance.

What were you currently running and what did you change to?  It might be possible that you are exceeding your power output.  I would recommend installing a meter to see how much power (watts, voltage and amps) your system is drawing.  More than likely something in your system is underpowered, or overheating (check all your temps) and insure all of your components are with their proper operating temperature, voltage, amps, watts range and things look normal when your playing demanding games.  You should also check your system error logs to see why your system is turning itself off, could be tripping it's self protection mechanism.

first, i had 650w psu's then i decided to buy a 750w version to make sure there is enough power but it didnt help much. Went from a gtx 980 to a rx580 both of them are at normal operating temps when playing then i also bought a new version of win10 to make sure there is no software problem and the error log is always the same (kernel power error 41) which just says the pc rebooted with no specific reason. I dont know really much about voltages and other stuff but might check a meter later.. do you know any tool where it writes down diagnostic when the pc shuts down? it would be helpful probably.
maybe the older psu caused damage to the motherboard and now it doesnt supply enough power to the PCIe slot is it possible?

10 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

first, i had 650w psu's then i decided to buy a 750w version to make sure there is enough power but it didnt help much. Went from a gtx 980 to a rx580 both of them are at normal operating temps when playing then i also bought a new version of win10 to make sure there is no software problem and the error log is always the same (kernel power error 41) which just says the pc rebooted with no specific reason. I dont know really much about voltages and other stuff but might check a meter later.. do you know any tool where it writes down diagnostic when the pc shuts down? it would be helpful probably.
maybe the older psu caused damage to the motherboard and now it doesnt supply enough power to the PCIe slot is it possible?

You will probably get more response posting this in the Hardware Forums area.

Post the complete specs of your system - mobo brand and model, PSU brand and model, GPU brand and model, RAM brands and model.

Use latest video driver from NVIDIA or AMD.

In BIOS, turn ON Load Line Calibration to max value, set Power Regulator Phases to max value.

Because you use water cooling, make sure you have a fan blowing cool air onto the power regulators on the motherboard, which normally get air flow from the CPU fan, but cam't with water cooling.

Given almost zero info so far, probable cause is regulators on mobo glitching the CPU. Above steps solve that.

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

You will probably get more response posting this in the Hardware Forums area.

Post the complete specs of your system - mobo brand and model, PSU brand and model, GPU brand and model, RAM brands and model.

In BIOS, turn ON Load Line Calibration to max value, set Power Regulator Phases to max value.

Because you use water cooling, make sure you have a fan blowing cool air onto the power regulators on the motherboard, which normally get air flow from the CPU fan, but cam't with water cooling.

Given almost zero info so far, probable cause is regulators on mobo glitching the CPU. Above steps solve that.

i will post it there thanks for the info. Can you tell me what are power regulators or where they are because im not sure im thinking about the right thing.

In case you want to know i have an asus prime z270a and an intel I5 6600k

Any chance you GPU is heating up?

Might want to try regreasing, or rather, reinserting your CPU. While water should not heat it up, it still can.

How long did you run memtest for? I would typically suggest doing it overnight but more specifically for at least 12 hours to create an accurate test.

Also check temps, just because your cpu is water cooled you're still reliant on air moving over the radiator to cool it. If no air is moving in your case it can still overheat.

And last, have you looked at your hard drive(s)? They may be starting to fail.

From other thread:

Just now, trag3dy said:

And last, have you looked at your hard drive(s)? They may be starting to fail.

Oh, good idea. missed that... :huh:

"Can you tell me what are power regulators or where they are because im not sure im thinking about the right thing.

In case you want to know i have an asus prime z270a and an intel I5 6600k"

The PSU supplies lots of 12 Volt lines to the mobo which then converts that input to a very very high current 1 volt power to the CPU.

All those heat sinks surrounding the CPU cover regulator chips that supply the current of a CAR BATTERY and cannot afford to glitch at all.

This is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than the PSU when thinking about power

Now, NOT strangely enough, if you scroll back through the hardware forums for these "game glitches" they all have water cooling in common.

Because you use water cooling, make sure you have a fan blowing cool air onto the power regulators on the motherboard, which normally get air flow from the CPU fan, but with water cooling there is NO AIRFLOW across the Power Regulators in many computer builds.

For all my computers, I cut a side fan hole to blow air from the outside straight onto the motherboard to solve this problem. If I'm lucky this also provides cool air to the GPU intake which is usually very stupidly positioned!

neither the cpu or the gpu are overheating at least not showing on the app im using to monitor the temps.. the hard drive is not the problem as i tried to run games from diferent drives and the pc rebooted from both.. drivers are up to date and also are the bios drivers the cooling must be ok in my opinion because i have 5 vents in the case plus the liquid thing for the cpu. i will have to check the power regulators then once i find what they are :D

i didnt run the mem test for a long period might do it once again over night. Thanks guys and thanks DevTech seems like a good advice because i never heard that stuff

2 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

neither the cpu or the gpu are overheating at least not showing on the app im using to monitor the temps.. the hard drive is not the problem as i tried to run games from diferent drives and the pc rebooted from both.. drivers are up to date and also are the bios drivers the cooling must be ok in my opinion because i have 5 vents in the case plus the liquid thing for the cpu. i will have to check the power regulators then once i find what they are :D

I could not have been more clear on what to do, but heh, I'll try:

1. open case and take house fan to mobo as a test.

2. MAKE SURE BIOS SETTINGS are CORRECT! (as stated above)

3. Most likely it is one of those two - but specify make and model of PSU - if it is a crap brand the size just does not matter. You don't need more than Bronze if it is a good model because the Mobo Power Regulators DO ALL THE REGULATING WORK, but they need a good steady input!

8 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

Just because your case has vents doesn't mean anything if there is no fans in it moving around air.

If it has no fans then the inside of your case may as well be an oven.

2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

Just because your case has vents doesn't mean anything if there is no fans in it moving around air.

If it has no fans then the inside of your case may as well be an oven.

fans not vents im sorry

6 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I could not have been more clear on what to do, but heh, I'll try:

1. open case and take house fan to mobo as a test.

2. MAKE SURE BIOS SETTINGS are CORRECT! (as stated above)

3. Most likely it is one of those two - but specify make and model of PSU - if it is a crap brand the size just does not matter. You don't need more than Bronze if it is a good model because the Mobo Power Regulators DO ALL THE REGULATING WORK, but they need a good steady input!

its gold+ i paid it around 100$ cant really remember the brand as im at work now and cant check

2 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

fans not vents im sorry

well, either way NO human can THINK like an AIR MOLECULE!

Open that case and blow air on the mobo as a test!

1 minute ago, Delirium22 said:

its gold+ i paid it around 100$ cant really remember the brand as im at work now and cant check

http://www.orionpsudb.com/

Always buy a PSU with SuperFlower PSU or Seasonic PSU inside it if at all possible!

3 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

Well, despite all the chatting about fans and PSU, most likely the problem is #2

Your modern ASUS premium mobo will STUPIDLY DEFAULT to energy saving settings so they can get that "Energy Star" sticker on their box but what you want is ROCK SOLID power!

A) Load Line Calibration - MAX IT

B) Number of Regulator "Phases" (or similar regulator anything naming) - MAX IT

C) In the same area of the BIOS, turn off any other mobo power saving features if any. CPU power states are in a different BIOS area and don't need adjusting.

11 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Well, despite all the chatting about fans and PSU, most likely the problem is #2

Your modern ASUS premium mobo will STUPIDLY DEFAULT to energy saving settings so they can get that "Energy Star" sticker on their box but what you want is ROCK SOLID power!

A) Load Line Calibration - MAX IT

B) Number of Regulator "Phases" (or similar regulator anything naming) - MAX IT

C) In the same area of the BIOS, turn off any other mobo power saving features if any. CPU power states are in a different BIOS area and don't need adjusting.

will check that as soon as possible but if the problem will still occur i wont have any other option than buy a new board and a new pcu as im becomig desperate to solve this thing. Thanks for all the information very helpful wish you a good day

1 minute ago, Delirium22 said:

will check that as soon as possible but if the problem will still occur i wont have any other option than buy a new board and a new pcu as im becomig desperate to solve this thing. Thanks for all the information very helpful wish you a good day

Just keep reporting back in detail and it will get solved.

Another but also unlikely cause is a bent pin in the CPU socket when you installed it. If nothing else works, inspect that with a high powered magnifying glass, lot of bright light and headache pills. Rotate the mobo as you inspect it due to the weird angle of the pins.

When you remove the cooling block inspect the heat sink compound to ensure the coverage was 100% even. (Rare hot spots in CPU cooling can cause the hardest to debug issues!)

Don't look at this until reporting back on BIOS settings.

1)overheating, open case-install home fan to PC for checking

2)bad RAM, pull out 1 of 4 any ram modules to check, replace/check 1by1

3)PSU, take new psu at bestbuy to check

Did all of the above bios settings but still have the problem maybe this time the game lasted longer (about 45min) but then it crashed. I diagnosed the cpu with an intel tool and it didnt found any error so i guess its a faulty motherboard

7 hours ago, Delirium22 said:

Did all of the above bios settings but still have the problem maybe this time the game lasted longer (about 45min) but then it crashed. I diagnosed the cpu with an intel tool and it didnt found any error so i guess its a faulty motherboard

So it's improving...

Did you open the case and blow a fan on the mobo?

Or just cut a round hole in the case and mount a fan to blow air on the mobo... Doesn't matter what mobo, if you water cool, you will need that unless you add a water block to the power regulators...