• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

pc keeps rebooting when playing games

+DevTech    1,410

Pretty sure mobo is not faulty but lots of missing info and things to try, but if you do buy a new mobo, please send me the old one via Teleport or any nearby Stargate because it's a shame to waste it...

You still have not provided the Make and Model of your PSU.

Also what sort of Aux power is on your vid card? and it's exact make and model.

Check to see if the vid card has a firmware update. Some cards draw too much power from the PCIe bus.

Delirium22    0
2 hours ago, DevTech said:

Pretty sure mobo is not faulty but lots of missing info and things to try, but if you do buy a new mobo, please send me the old one via Teleport or any nearby Stargate because it's a shame to waste it...

You still have not provided the Make and Model of your PSU.

Also what sort of Aux power is on your vid card? and it's exact make and model.

Check to see if the vid card has a firmware update. Some cards draw too much power from the PCIe bus.

I have tried another gpu and it was the same or even worse maybe because the game didnt last 2min with the amd rx580 i guess it consumes more power than the gtx980

model of the PSU is Inter-tech ARGUS RGB 750W

+DevTech    1,410
16 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

I have tried another gpu and it was the same or even worse maybe because the game didnt last 2min with the amd rx580 i guess it consumes more power than the gtx980

model of the PSU is Inter-tech ARGUS RGB 750W

https://www.amazon.com/INTERTECH-Power-Supply-Inter-Tech-Argus/dp/B077YV9WF5

https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/argus-rgb-750w-cm

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/nice-looking-glass-or-rgb-cheap-and-somewhat-reliable-psu.3385528/

"Hard-to-say, while inter-tech has occasionally used some non-horrid CWT platforms, they've also used cheap Chinese ones too. I can't remember the time someone tested one; people are usually not keen to test off-brands on their expensive equipment and the dodgier brands are equally not keen to supplying review units. It may not be the worst PSU in the world -- the 80plus badge not matching up with the one PSU that Plugload gave certification to does set off some alarms as does the fact that it's a *lot* cheaper than the Thermaltake Toughpower RGB. But the general rule is to consider power supplies guilty until proven innocent as their function is too important in a PC. Pretty much all the reliable PSUs that are in normal price ranges aren't blinged out. It's fine to be wanting to put together an interesting looking PC, but the PSU is far too crucial a part to prioritize this."

So best case is that it might be a CWT PSU, otherwise total garbage. And I'm not a fan of CWT anyways.... Always go with SuperFlower or Seasonic.

So, given this info, and the power being the issue, I would rate the Crappy PSU being more of an issue than the Quality mobo.

Using this website, you can figure which Brands you have available in your area have either a "SuperFlower Inside" or a "Seasonic Inside"

(You already have the "Intel Inside" slogan covered nicely)

http://www.orionpsudb.com

+DevTech    1,410

GTX 980 vs RX 580 (https://babeltechreviews.com/the-gtx-1060-6gb-vs-the-rx-580-8gb-vs-the-gtx-980-4gb-revisited/)

If it is not the "Ti" model, the 980 has a power rating of 165 Watts and the RX 580 is 185 Watts

If the issue is power, and you fail almost instantly with the extra 20 watt draw of the RX 580, then your PSU is obviously at the borderline of what it can handle.

So far, the conclusion is that you need to follow the SuperFlower/Seasonic rule!

Delirium22    0
5 minutes ago, DevTech said:

GTX 980 vs RX 580 (https://babeltechreviews.com/the-gtx-1060-6gb-vs-the-rx-580-8gb-vs-the-gtx-980-4gb-revisited/)

If it is not the "Ti" model, the 980 has a power rating of 165 Watts and the RX 580 is 185 Watts

If the issue is power, and you fail almost instantly with the extra 20 watt draw of the RX 580, then your PSU is obviously at the borderline of what it can handle.

thats an interesting point but the psu is new how can they sell stuff if its that bad!! and just to point out i had a premium corsair psu before i changed to inter-tech

+DevTech    1,410

To make it simple, for some common brands of PSU:

1. All Seasonics use Seasonic Inside

http://www.orionpsudb.com/seasonic

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-750FM-Semi-Modular-Warranty-Compact/dp/B0778XF1HL/

2. Corsair AX uses Seasonic Inside (avoid other Corsair models)

http://www.orionpsudb.com/corsair

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Watt-Modular-AX750/dp/B003PJ6QWE/

3. EVGA GS and PS uses Seasonic Inside

http://www.orionpsudb.com/evga

no Amazon link...

4. EVGA B3, G2, P2, T2 and G3 uses SuperFlower Inside

http://www.orionpsudb.com/evga

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-G3-0750-X1/dp/B005BE058W/

+DevTech    1,410
14 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

thats an interesting point but the psu is new how can they sell stuff if its that bad!! and just to point out i had a premium corsair psu before i changed to inter-tech

The only Premium Corsairs are the AX series which use Seasonic.

What was the exact model and power of the Corsair you used?

Delirium22    0
4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

The only Premium Corsairs are the AX series which use Seasonic.

What was the exact model and power of the Corsair you used?

i think it was a CX (very expensive at the time of purchase) 

so do you think i should send the psu into warranty? but i dont know where is the point if you say that its pure trash

+DevTech    1,410
3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Oh, they just updated the PSU Tier list...

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

Follow what Dev said plus that. ^

That list is way too long but at quick glance it is misleading right away in that Seasonic does NOT make a bad or weak PSU. So they have tiered the low-end Seasonics in a misleading manner that would give "same status as Seasonic" to a bunch of crappy units!

+DevTech    1,410
2 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

i think it was a CX (very expensive at the time of purchase) 

so do you think i should send the psu into warranty? but i dont know where is the point if you say that its pure trash

Corsair CX uses CWT and Great Wall, far from premium... but not junk like your current may or may not be...

What power rating did the Corsair have?

I don't like CWT but they are not junk so the next step is to open up your ARGUS and see if it has a CWT inside or noname junk. If it is still under warranty, then opening it up is not really a great thing to do.

If the Corsiar was at least 650 watts, then I would be inclined to temporally shelf the PSU as a culprit and look at other causes.

+DevTech    1,410

So, the next idea that comes to mind is BIOS settings connected with the CPU freqencies and voltage.

It is a stretch, but if that section of the BIOS is set to AUTO (never a good idea) then some BIOS will aggressively do mild overlocks as a "Turbo mode" which is ok, but some of those will overvolt as part of the process and overvolting should NEVER be an automatic thing.

Either way that ASUS mobo supports overclocking so it is hard to imagine over taxing it that way but hey its another thing that needs to be checked.

EDIT: ALSO MAKE SURE you have the latest BIOS. Check for BETA versions as well.

Delirium22    0
3 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Corsair CX uses CWT and Great Wall, far from premium... but not junk like your current may or may not be...

What power rating did the Corsair have?

I don't like CWT but they are not junk so the next step is to open up your ARGUS and see if it has a CWT inside or noname junk. If it is still under warranty, then opening it up is not really a great thing to do.

If the Corsiar was at least 650 watts, then I would be inclined to temporally shelf the PSU as a culprit and look at other causes.

dont know about power rating but pretty sure it was 750w. Yes its new like 2-3 months. i would rather not touch the inside because i dont know nothing about psus but since the fact that the pc restarted the first day i mounted the new one i think the problem should be somewhere else

+DevTech    1,410

ALSO make sure your Windows is NOT set to auto-reboot on crash so we can see any Bluescreen errors.

auto-reboot is the default - the first setting I change on a new Windows install!

What id the config, settings, Make and Model of your RAM?

+DevTech    1,410
3 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

dont know about power rating but pretty sure it was 750w. Yes its new like 2-3 months. i would rather not touch the inside because i dont know nothing about psus but since the fact that the pc restarted the first day i mounted the new one i think the problem should be somewhere else

"i would rather not touch the inside because i dont know nothing about psus"

You would not be touching anything, just visually matching the inside to various pictures to identify it.

"since the fact that the pc restarted the first day i mounted the new one i think the problem should be somewhere else"

You MUST have meant to say something else!

• Haha 1

Delirium22    0
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DevTech said:

"i would rather not touch the inside because i dont know nothing about psus"

You would not be touching anything, just visually matching the inside to various pictures to identify it.

"since the fact that the pc restarted the first day i mounted the new one i think the problem should be somewhere else"

You MUST have meant to say something else!

i meant to say that when i bought the psu and installed it the pc rebooted after 5min of playing so the psu was faulty even on the first usage IF the psu is the problem

+DevTech    1,410
15 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

i meant to say that when i bought the psu and installed it the pc rebooted after 5min of playing so the psu was faulty even on the first usage IF the psu is the problem

Are you talking about the Corsair CX?

If not, you actually have a smoking gun!

Delirium22    0
2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Are you talking about the Corsair CX?

If not, you actually have a smoking gun!

no im talking about the inter-tech argus.. what do you mean with that?

+DevTech    1,410
23 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

no im talking about the inter-tech argus.. what do you mean with that?

????????????????????????

1. Computer reboots when playing games probably at the point that the GTX 980 ramps up to its 165 Watts of power

2. New PSU is installed from a manufacturer with a history of crap power supplies and FAKE Gold Rating!

3. "i meant to say that when i bought the psu and installed it the pc rebooted after 5min of playing so the psu was faulty even on the first usage IF the psu is the problem" - SO, a potentially crap PSU is installed and right afterwards the PC experiences issues. "the 80plus badge not matching up with the one PSU that Plugload gave certification to does set off some alarms"

4. It is really unclear how the Corsair fits into it but MOST LIKELY the Corsair was a FAR BETTER PSU even though it was a CRAPPY Corsair model. (There are Tiers - a crappy Corsair is far better than no name junk, but a crappy SuperFlower (well actually doesn't exist) would be far better than a good Corsair....)

So you went DOWNHILL from the Corsair to the ARGUS. Put the Corsair back in if you have it lying around or else BORROW a QUALITY PSU to TEST this  part of the diagnostic tree in a definitive manner.

+DevTech    1,410

Note on Power Supplies.

#1 the quality and the NUMBER OF AVAILABLE PHASES on the Motherboard Regulator Circuit is the MOST important Power consideration. ALL ASUS advertising boasts of the number of regulator phases if it is one of their premium boards.

#2 BUT, the motherboard regulators need 12 Volts that doesn't DROOP below a certain number and that can be provided by any BRONZE or better unit from a super premium PSU unit like SuperFlower or Seasonic (and a small handful of others)

Another worthwhile TEST:

- open up the case and blow a strong flow of cool air at the PSU.

- a crap PSU can put out better power if it is cool.

Delirium22    0
8 minutes ago, DevTech said:

????????????????????????

1. Computer reboots when playing games probably at the point that the GTX 980 ramps up to its 165 Watts of power

2. New PSU is installed from a manufacturer with a history of crap power supplies and FAKE Gold Rating!

3. "i meant to say that when i bought the psu and installed it the pc rebooted after 5min of playing so the psu was faulty even on the first usage IF the psu is the problem" - SO, a potentially crap PSU is installed and right afterwards the PC experiences issues. "the 80plus badge not matching up with the one PSU that Plugload gave certification to does set off some alarms"

4. It is really unclear how the Corsair fits into it but MOST LIKELY the Corsair was a FAR BETTER PSU even though it was a CRAPPY Corsair model. (There are Tiers - a crappy Corsair is far better than no name junk, but a crappy SuperFlower (well actually doesn't exist) would be far better than a good Corsair....)

So you went DOWNHILL from the Corsair to the ARGUS. Put the Corsair back in if you have it lying around or else BORROW a QUALITY PSU to TEST this  part of the diagnostic tree in a definitive manner.

let me tell you the full story..

-pc starts shuting down randomly when playing for me at that time a clear sight that i need a new psu (strange but ok)

-found and "older" psu in the house  (non-modular 750w) not satisfied by the looks i ordered a new psu (went for a no name because i paid much for the corsair and thought there is no diference)

-mounted the new one (argus) pc shuts down same as before

-went for a new gpu thanks god i tried one first before buying one.. still no help

-and now im thinking that MAYBE the shut downs caused some damage to the board and now i have to buy a new one but im hoping that there is a solution i can find

Mindovermaster    1,676
10 minutes ago, Delirium22 said:

-found and "older" psu in the house  (non-modular 750w) not satisfied by the looks i ordered a new psu (went for a no name because i paid much for the corsair and thought there is no diference) 

DEAD wrong...

Delirium22    0
38 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

DEAD wrong...

Can we skip the part where i make wrong decisions? We already know i bougt a trash psu pointing out your opinion does not help anybody really. I know how to build a pc and play games on it nothing more thats why im on a forum with computer geeks seeking for more info.

+DevTech    1,410
2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

DEAD wrong...

Well, the only Corsair I would consider is the AX with a Seasonic in it, so he was only slightly wrong, but only the AX would have been face palm territory.

+DevTech    1,410
3 hours ago, Delirium22 said:

let me tell you the full story..

-pc starts shuting down randomly when playing for me at that time a clear sight that i need a new psu (strange but ok)

-mounted the new one (argus) pc shuts down same as before

-went for a new gpu thanks god i tried one first before buying one.. still no help

-and now im thinking that MAYBE the shut downs caused some damage to the board and now i have to buy a new one but im hoping that there is a solution i can find

Well, now there is a coherent description, except for the missing location of the Corsair.

The PSU is annoying of course but it has to be really awful to cause the Quality ASUS mobo regulators to glitch on us (and that may still be an issue) and nothing has been proven one way or the other for any component.

It could still even be a software issue!

In this thread over a lot of posts, I have asked you to test stuff and check stuff and do stuff so please review all that and just do it and then list all the results so we can fix the issue. The chaos needs to end if anyone is going to be effective in helping you. We need to diagnose and eliminate causes until only one remains.

1. Report back on all tests, updates and settings from previous posts. (fan tests, RAM info, BIOS version, O/S updates, driver versions, BIOS Turbo settings and all the others etc...)

2. Remove the GPU and play the game with the on-chip Intel GPU (cranked as high as the tiny thing will permit) to see if the 165 watt power saving is significant or if it still crashes.

3. Depending on that test see if you can borrow a low end GPU