• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Reinstall windows

Recommended Posts

Norrient    1
Posted (edited)

I need a way to reinstall/format/reset whatever word is used for begin my computer from a factory state as if i had just bought everything new. The problem is: i can only do this from safe mode, as trying to boot into windows normally gives me a 0xc000021A BSOD. So, how's it done?

Mine is windows 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason S.    1,441

what model of computer is it? If this is a computer from a big company, there's usually a rescue disc or rescue partition on the hard drive. There should be some included program that can do this for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    2,500

are you trying to keep the OEM tools in place with the reset?

 

If not then why not just download a windows 8 or 10 ISO on another PC and put that on a USB to boot into and reinstall? :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Norrient    1
1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

are you trying to keep the OEM tools in place with the reset?

 

If not then why not just download a windows 8 or 10 ISO on another PC and put that on a USB to boot into and reinstall? :)

 

1 hour ago, Jason S. said:

what model of computer is it? If this is a computer from a big company, there's usually a rescue disc or rescue partition on the hard drive. There should be some included program that can do this for you.

Hey guys, thanks for your answers, but i remembered i have a spare HD and managed to install windows on that and run with it. But now the problem is that i cant use my nvidia control panel. i click on it and it just doesnt do anything. Do i need to set up anything nvidia related on this thing? How do i get it to work?
I swear to god, if i didnt have to use computer for work and keeping in contact with friends, i wouldnt touch them with a ten foot pole. They're so frustrating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,674

If you use it for work, uhh, why are you fiddling with it? Your IT staff should be able to help you.

 

As for NVIDIA, try reinstalling the driver from their site.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,404
18 hours ago, Norrient said:

I need a way to reinstall/format/reset whatever word is used for begin my computer from a factory state as if i had just bought everything new. The problem is: i can only do this from safe mode, as trying to boot into windows normally gives me a 0xc000021A BSOD. So, how's it done?

Mine is windows 8

 

17 hours ago, Brandon H said:

are you trying to keep the OEM tools in place with the reset?

 

If not then why not just download a windows 8 or 10 ISO on another PC and put that on a USB to boot into and reinstall? :)

If you are not a "tech" person which your frustration level would indicate, then the "Eternally Updating" Windows 10 would be a good fit for you (and most people)

 

You should take @Brandon Hadvice and just do a fresh ISO install. 

 

Per @warwagonpost, you will have no problem getting Windows 10:

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daniel F.    544

Moved to Windows forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.    9,314
16 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

If you use it for work, uhh, why are you fiddling with it? Your IT staff should be able to help you.

If it is a company computer then most definitely this is the way to go.

 

However, let's not forget that using a computer "for work" can mean many things, it doesn't make it a company computer. ;)

 

16 hours ago, Norrient said:

 

But now the problem is that i cant use my nvidia control panel. i click on it and it just doesnt do anything. Do i need to set up anything nvidia related on this thing? How do i get it to work?

Do you know which graphics card is installed on the computer? If so then you could go to to Nvidia website and download the program to reinstall it again, see if that fixes things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,674
3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

If it is a company computer then most definitely this is the way to go.

 

However, let's not forget that using a computer "for work" can mean many things, it doesn't make it a company computer. ;)

Most  work computers are owned by the company. 9/10, you cannot play with it, as load your own OS.

 

But, if the company gave him the get go... /shrug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    2,500
13 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Most  work computers are owned by the company. 9/10, you cannot play with it, as load your own OS.

 

But, if the company gave him the get go... /shrug

OP never said this is a work computer

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    10,857
48 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Most  work computers are owned by the company. 9/10, you cannot play with it, as load your own OS.

 

But, if the company gave him the get go... /shrug

90% of statistics are made up. 

35 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

OP never said this is a work computer

Correct. He said it is for work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,486
On 3/27/2019 at 10:18 AM, Norrient said:

I need a way to reinstall/format/reset whatever word is used for begin my computer from a factory state as if i had just bought everything new. The problem is: i can only do this from safe mode, as trying to boot into windows normally gives me a 0xc000021A BSOD. So, how's it done?

Mine is windows 8

You have a few options:

 

You can, download the Windows 8 ISO and start fresh

or

If you want Windows 10, you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO and activate your copy of Windows using the key on the bottom of the computer (if there is a sticker) or this will be auto loaded by the UEFI if it is a newer computer

 

Both options will allow you to start fresh, granted your error 21A isnt caused by some sort of hardware issue.

 

If you need help with either step, just quote my post so I know you are replying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.