• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How on earth does Apple continue to get away with this?

Recommended Posts

Circaflex    3,515
Posted (edited)

 

 

How embarrasing that the new iMacs come with 5400 RPM drives... what a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiranui    1,894

Love Louis Rossmann.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+JR1966    1,135
19 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

 

 

How embarrasing that the new iMacs come with 5400 RPM drives... what a joke.

What, Apple invented a 5400 RPM drive. They are so innovative. I'll take seven of them.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
virtorio    3,063

A disgusting practice of complete dis-respect to their customers.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiranui    1,894

PPBUS_G3 Hot!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Dark Knight    263

"How on earth does Apple continue to get away with this?"

 

The answer is in your question itself. Because it is Apple. They know that most of their user base has blind faith in them and will accept practically anything that Apple says or does. And will also in turn justify all of it with other people that do question some aspects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,196
On 3/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, Circaflex said:

 

 

How embarrasing that the new iMacs come with 5400 RPM drives... what a joke.

To be fair, many prebuilt windows machines do as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    2,693
4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

To be fair, many prebuilt windows machines do as well. 

that's the point though; Mac is supposed to be considered "premium"

 

for that starting price most would expect at least a 7200rpm drive if not a SSD now a days

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Human.Online    8,072

I'm an Apple consumer, I use predominantly Apple hardware.  And to be honest, this is a bit shocking.

 

Sure, you can upgrade to faster SSDs but a 5400 as a baseline is quite poor.

 

Notice there's no 7200 drive, they surely want people to go to the SSD option, thus the 5400 is low-end as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eternal Tempest    765
Posted (edited)

"Apple Tax" it's the stick to either upgrade the storage and or memory added with the fact most models you can't change the configuration, I was shocked that the new macMini ream can actually be upgraded / replaced.

 

That being said, is this a "fusion" configuration where they merge an small SSD with an high capacity HDD that usualy gets SSD like peformance?

 

Thinking Intel Optante, or a Seagate Monumentus Drive, except Apple been doing it a lot longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,196
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

that's the point though; Mac is supposed to be considered "premium"

 

for that starting price most would expect at least a 7200rpm drive if not a SSD now a days

Yeah the whole supposed to be premium idea just shows you how much people buy into marketing. Apple has never once given premium internal components to go along with it. Even the Pro desktop machines are just run-of-the-mill workstation parts. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    12,612

Yea, 5400 should be a no go. 7200 for the baseline would have been better... especially considering they are only a few bucks more...if any.

 

5400 drives should be reserved for dirt cheap systems/storage...not an iMacs primary drive IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunkyMike    1,817

"How on earth does Apple continue to get away with this?"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marujan    82
Posted (edited)

buying Apple iMac or laptop is waste of money.

 

Terrible slow HDD and bad keybord...no way pls

 

buy Huawei Mate laptop for cheap (with hidden camera in keyboard to protect spying)

143711-laptops-review-review-huawei-mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Graham    77

They get away with this as people keep buying them.

 

Sad as it would seem to folks like us, the general public has no clue and does not seem to care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eternal Tempest    765

Apple, outside of the techworld, can also be a "fashion statement" or a "status symbol".

There are some that buy apple because of this, not really caring about the tech underneath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,289
24 minutes ago, Marujan said:

buying Apple iMac or laptop is waste of money.

 

Terrible slow HDD and bad keybord...no way pls

 

buy Huawei Mate laptop for cheap (with hidden camera in keyboard to protect spying)

143711-laptops-review-review-huawei-mate

Except of course that doesn't run OS X.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xendrome    5,289
On 3/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, adrynalyne said:

To be fair, many prebuilt windows machines do as well. 

Yeah starting at $600 for the system, nor $1,300

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marujan    82
9 minutes ago, shockz said:

Except of course that doesn't run OS X. 

Windows 10 has the same apps. I dont see any differences in using IOS or win10

 

very simple steps to make win10 same secure as IOS, use COMODO DNS on your router, dont use ADMIN rights on your profile, so do i need to be stressed of bad keyboard or slow running apps or data copying and pay EXTRA money for fruit logo on my working machine???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    5,289
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Marujan said:

Windows 10 has the same apps. I dont see any differences in using IOS or win10

 

very simple steps to make win10 same secure as IOS, use COMODO DNS on your router, dont use ADMIN rights on your profile, so do i need to be stressed of bad keyboard or slow running apps or data copying and pay EXTRA money for fruit logo on my working machine???

 

 

Still not macOS.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,196
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Yeah starting at $600 for the system, nor $1,300

Wanna make a wager on that? Keep in mind you need to price out a comparable monitor too when considering the price.

Edited by adrynalyne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LaP    2,033
2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Yeah starting at $600 for the system, nor $1,300

The price doesn't really matter to be honest. In 2019 no laptop should come with a 5400rpm drive not even the cheapest one. A 5400rpm drive will bottle neck even the cheapest of the cpus out there. The first thing anyone should do before buying a laptop is check the drive. I've seen so many good windows laptop bottle-necked by a 5400rpm drive. It's not rare to see people wanting to upgrade their perfectly fine 3-5 years old laptop used mainly for emails and browsing the web because the 5400rpm drive bottle neck it to a crawl. When you recommend them to upgrade the drive to a ssd they are astonished by the difference and think it's a whole new machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,196
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LaP said:

The price doesn't really matter to be honest. In 2019 no laptop should come with a 5400rpm drive not even the cheapest one. A 5400rpm drive will bottle neck even the cheapest of the cpus out there. The first thing anyone should do before buying a laptop is check the drive. I've seen so many good windows laptop bottle-necked by a 5400rpm drive. It's not rare to see people wanting to upgrade their perfectly fine 3-5 years old laptop used mainly for emails and browsing the web because the 5400rpm drive bottle neck it to a crawl. When you recommend them to upgrade the drive to a ssd they are astonished by the difference and think it's a whole new machine.

We aren't discussing laptops though.  Not originally anyway.

 

Edit: Not disagreeing, just pointing that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LaP    2,033
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

We aren't discussing laptops though.  Not originally anyway.

Well laptop of desktop it's the same no computer should come with a 5400rpm drive in 2019 even the cheapest options. It's just too big of a bottle neck and the price difference is just not worth it. Outside of gaming a 5400rpm drive is by far the biggest bottle neck you could put in a computer in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    11,196
Just now, LaP said:

Well laptop of desktop it's the same no computer should come with a 5400rpm drive in 2019 even the cheapest options. It's just too big of a bottle neck and the price difference is just not worth it. A 5400rpm drive is by far the biggest bottle neck you could put in a computer in 2019.

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.