How on earth does Apple continue to get away with this?

19 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

How embarrasing that the new iMacs come with 5400 RPM drives... what a joke.

What, Apple invented a 5400 RPM drive. They are so innovative. I'll take seven of them.  :) 

"How on earth does Apple continue to get away with this?"

The answer is in your question itself. Because it is Apple. They know that most of their user base has blind faith in them and will accept practically anything that Apple says or does. And will also in turn justify all of it with other people that do question some aspects.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, Circaflex said:

How embarrasing that the new iMacs come with 5400 RPM drives... what a joke.

To be fair, many prebuilt windows machines do as well. 

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

To be fair, many prebuilt windows machines do as well. 

that's the point though; Mac is supposed to be considered "premium"

for that starting price most would expect at least a 7200rpm drive if not a SSD now a days

I'm an Apple consumer, I use predominantly Apple hardware.  And to be honest, this is a bit shocking.

Sure, you can upgrade to faster SSDs but a 5400 as a baseline is quite poor.

Notice there's no 7200 drive, they surely want people to go to the SSD option, thus the 5400 is low-end as hell.

"Apple Tax" it's the stick to either upgrade the storage and or memory added with the fact most models you can't change the configuration, I was shocked that the new macMini ream can actually be upgraded / replaced.

That being said, is this a "fusion" configuration where they merge an small SSD with an high capacity HDD that usualy gets SSD like peformance?

Thinking Intel Optante, or a Seagate Monumentus Drive, except Apple been doing it a lot longer.

14 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

that's the point though; Mac is supposed to be considered "premium"

for that starting price most would expect at least a 7200rpm drive if not a SSD now a days

Yeah the whole supposed to be premium idea just shows you how much people buy into marketing. Apple has never once given premium internal components to go along with it. Even the Pro desktop machines are just run-of-the-mill workstation parts. 

• Like 2

Yea, 5400 should be a no go. 7200 for the baseline would have been better... especially considering they are only a few bucks more...if any.

5400 drives should be reserved for dirt cheap systems/storage...not an iMacs primary drive IMO.

buying Apple iMac or laptop is waste of money.

Terrible slow HDD and bad keybord...no way pls

buy Huawei Mate laptop for cheap (with hidden camera in keyboard to protect spying)

143711-laptops-review-review-huawei-mate

They get away with this as people keep buying them.

Sad as it would seem to folks like us, the general public has no clue and does not seem to care.

Apple, outside of the techworld, can also be a "fashion statement" or a "status symbol".

There are some that buy apple because of this, not really caring about the tech underneath.

24 minutes ago, Marujan said:

buying Apple iMac or laptop is waste of money.

Terrible slow HDD and bad keybord...no way pls

buy Huawei Mate laptop for cheap (with hidden camera in keyboard to protect spying)

143711-laptops-review-review-huawei-mate

Except of course that doesn't run OS X.

9 minutes ago, shockz said:

Except of course that doesn't run OS X. 

Windows 10 has the same apps. I dont see any differences in using IOS or win10

very simple steps to make win10 same secure as IOS, use COMODO DNS on your router, dont use ADMIN rights on your profile, so do i need to be stressed of bad keyboard or slow running apps or data copying and pay EXTRA money for fruit logo on my working machine???

7 minutes ago, Marujan said:

Windows 10 has the same apps. I dont see any differences in using IOS or win10

very simple steps to make win10 same secure as IOS, use COMODO DNS on your router, dont use ADMIN rights on your profile, so do i need to be stressed of bad keyboard or slow running apps or data copying and pay EXTRA money for fruit logo on my working machine???

Still not macOS.

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Yeah starting at $600 for the system, nor $1,300

Wanna make a wager on that? Keep in mind you need to price out a comparable monitor too when considering the price.

Edited by adrynalyne

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Yeah starting at $600 for the system, nor $1,300

The price doesn't really matter to be honest. In 2019 no laptop should come with a 5400rpm drive not even the cheapest one. A 5400rpm drive will bottle neck even the cheapest of the cpus out there. The first thing anyone should do before buying a laptop is check the drive. I've seen so many good windows laptop bottle-necked by a 5400rpm drive. It's not rare to see people wanting to upgrade their perfectly fine 3-5 years old laptop used mainly for emails and browsing the web because the 5400rpm drive bottle neck it to a crawl. When you recommend them to upgrade the drive to a ssd they are astonished by the difference and think it's a whole new machine.

5 minutes ago, LaP said:

The price doesn't really matter to be honest. In 2019 no laptop should come with a 5400rpm drive not even the cheapest one. A 5400rpm drive will bottle neck even the cheapest of the cpus out there. The first thing anyone should do before buying a laptop is check the drive. I've seen so many good windows laptop bottle-necked by a 5400rpm drive. It's not rare to see people wanting to upgrade their perfectly fine 3-5 years old laptop used mainly for emails and browsing the web because the 5400rpm drive bottle neck it to a crawl. When you recommend them to upgrade the drive to a ssd they are astonished by the difference and think it's a whole new machine.

We aren't discussing laptops though.  Not originally anyway.

Edit: Not disagreeing, just pointing that out.

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

We aren't discussing laptops though.  Not originally anyway.

Well laptop of desktop it's the same no computer should come with a 5400rpm drive in 2019 even the cheapest options. It's just too big of a bottle neck and the price difference is just not worth it. Outside of gaming a 5400rpm drive is by far the biggest bottle neck you could put in a computer in 2019.

Just now, LaP said:

Well laptop of desktop it's the same no computer should come with a 5400rpm drive in 2019 even the cheapest options. It's just too big of a bottle neck and the price difference is just not worth it. A 5400rpm drive is by far the biggest bottle neck you could put in a computer in 2019.

I agree.