• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Lubunto 18.10 VM- monitor settings

SoCalRox    242

I have Lubuntu VMs I use on two Macs. Both VMs came from the same basic VMDK, though as they moved to new machines, they have had some differences in what software I installed. One of the VMs works great. The other one, with two exceptions , works great but the two exceptions make me curious.

This VM (which I am using at the moment) is being run on a 2012 Macbook Pro with 2.6 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and NON-Retina internal display, but I am using an external Samsung SMB2230 display, set at 1920x1080 in my Mac session. I am allocating 4 GB to the VM.

Two (minor) quirks I cannot resolve:

1. I adjust the display resolution, and successfully apply it. I click save and go about my business. When I restart the VM, it is at the default 800x600, instead of the resolution I set it to. Which leads to...

2. I am using a 1920x1080 monnitor. I cannot set the display to that because there is no 1920x1080 setting in the monitor app. There are higher resolutions (such as 2560x1440) or a bit lower (1680x1050, which I am using now) but not 1920x1080. On my other machine, 1920x1080 *IS* available.

Any ideas?

Brandon H    2,691

what VM software are you using?

VirtualBox, VMWare Fusion, Parallels, something else?

you should be able to install the guest drivers provided by the VM software so the VM resolution will dynamically adjust when you resize the VM window

SoCalRox    242

VMWare Fusion.

I didn't think of checking for that since the "same" VM on my other Mac is just fine. I'll review that right now. Thanks for the tip!

gravel5839    1

On Ubuntu for VMware (and I think other platforms are support too like VirtualBox) it's 

sudo apt install open-vm-tools

• Like 1

SoCalRox    242

Excellent results! Thank you!

• Like 1